Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    11,943

    PSA: Ortovox transceiver trade in program

    https://www.ortovox.com/us/beacon-re...usa-promotion/

    Ortovox has a cool thing going on. Bring your old transceiver to an Ortovox dealer though Dec. 32 to get a $75 trade in towards the retail price of a 3+.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,956
    Thanks for the heads-up!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    11,943
    FKNA!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    325
    This is interesting as I have an older D3, what are the tangible benefits to moving to a new 3+?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    11,943
    I do not know. Ask Ortovox

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,549
    solid deal.

    i was looking into for myself when i found Freeze Proshop. other mags have ordered with success from them before.

    Brexit currency crush to thank for the 3+ being only $227 + ~$6 royal airmail to US.

    Also have a few other solid beacons at great prices (Tracker 3, Mammut Element etc)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    20,693
    I have an old F1 that I retired long ago, this seems a good way to use it to upgrade from my old tracker that I'm currently using (making the tracker my emergency backup/spare/loaner beacon). Hmm...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,223
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    This is interesting as I have an older D3, what are the tangible benefits to moving to a new 3+?
    The 3+ has a longer range, processes the signal faster (quicker direction/distance updates, allows you to move quicker), has the "smart antenna" technology that automatically switches the transmitting antenna to the one that will be detected at the greatest range by other beacons, and perhaps most importantly, resolves spikes and nulls better than the D3. It also likely has better audio/visual although that's a preference thing and it's been awhile since I had a D3 in my hands. The 3+ is certainly a better beacon though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have an old F1 that I retired long ago, this seems a good way to use it to upgrade from my old tracker that I'm currently using (making the tracker my emergency backup/spare/loaner beacon). Hmm...
    Bluntly, I'm of the opinion that the original Tracker is obsolete and anyone currently using one for regular backcountry travel should retire it. Yes it was a revolutionary beacon when it came out, but the technology has significantly evolved. First, most BCA Trackers that are over 5-ish years old have experienced significant frequency drift. Second, 3 antenna beacons really make the fine search a lot easier and faster by correctly resolving spikes and nulls (and anyone reading this that doesn't know what spikes and nulls are should upgrade to a 3 antenna beacon immediately). Third, the Tracker has shitty range, nearly everything else on the market is better. Fourth, the audio and visual clues on newer beacons are generally better than the Tracker. Fifth, the multiple burial features are nice to have, although obviously if you follow good travel protocol you shouldn't need them.

    So yes, trade in that F1 and get you a new 3+

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    6,312
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Bluntly, I'm of the opinion that the original Tracker is obsolete and anyone currently using one for regular backcountry travel should retire it. Yes it was a revolutionary beacon when it came out, but the technology has significantly evolved. First, most BCA Trackers that are over 5-ish years old have experienced significant frequency drift. Second, 3 antenna beacons really make the fine search a lot easier and faster by correctly resolving spikes and nulls (and anyone reading this that doesn't know what spikes and nulls are should upgrade to a 3 antenna beacon immediately). Third, the Tracker has shitty range, nearly everything else on the market is better. Fourth, the audio and visual clues on newer beacons are generally better than the Tracker. Fifth, the multiple burial features are nice to have, although obviously if you follow good travel protocol you shouldn't need them.
    This is good advice. I see lots of low-functioning Tracker 1's out there. Especially when they get below 80% battery they really start taking a dive. A new one off the shelf is still a fine beacon but if yours is 5 years old you should definitely check it for drift and general functionality.
    Drive slow, homie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •