Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Eagle County livin.....so what's that like?

So I got a job offer over in Eagle County (Edwards), currently working in Summit. Mostly ski the basin and backcountry. Ride mountain bikes and stuff, climbing etc. Long time Summit local, and am sorta familiar with Vail valley, skied vail hundreds of times, BC maybe 30 times. But never spent much time in the towns over there. Not really in to skiing Vail anymore unless midweek or EV, BC is fun, but could get old.

But the really question is this: What is it like living over there? Culture of different towns etc...

My take:
    Since we just started considering this, we are open to anywhere between EV and Eagle. Eagle is appealing for cost of living and longer summers, closer to the desert, longer bike season. Vail-Edwards is appealing because of proximity to snow and work but pricing is prohibitive. Eagle is also appealing for staying out of the tourist nightmare and being in a real community. Seems like it is up-and-coming with building trails and river park. But it is a long-ish way from skiing. Any other downsides to living down valley?

My take on eagle county which means nothing-

CON'S

one big truck stop and strip mall
    pretty bland no character
    you'll drive up and down 70 but everyone over there thinks that's ok
    eagle is like the wellington neighborhood on steroids
    not really alot of mtb riding compared to summit
    half the trails in eagle are shut down for a couple months of the year even if they are dry
    living in edwards or avon, your only options are townhomes and condos

PRO'S

The weather
    Eagle is a pretty nice town, you can slum it in gyptucky
    The ski resorts aren't shit show crowded
    I'll mention the weather again
    golf?
    your forty five mins further from denver

I've thought about moving that way, but don't know what to make of it, lots of opportunity compared to summit, I should say they pay more and the jobs seem pretty solid compared to the bs in summit, less (dip shit) people, everyone I know who has moved over there loves it, know a bunch of people who live over there and commute to summit to work, one guy drives from eagle to breck every day, go figure, if you really like skiing I'd stay in avon or edwards or eagle vail if you like biking and family time eagle is it

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    My take on eagle county which means nothing-

CON'S

one big truck stop and strip mall
    pretty bland no character
    you'll drive up and down 70 but everyone over there thinks that's ok
    eagle is like the wellington neighborhood on steroids
    not really alot of mtb riding compared to summit
    half the trails in eagle are shut down for a couple months of the year even if they are dry
    living in edwards or avon, your only options are townhomes and condos

PRO'S

The weather
    Eagle is a pretty nice town, you can slum it in gyptucky
    The ski resorts aren't shit show crowded
    I'll mention the weather again
    golf?
    your forty five mins further from denver

I've thought about moving that way, but don't know what to make of it, lots of opportunity compared to summit, I should say they pay more and the jobs seem pretty solid compared to the bs in summit, less (dip shit) people, everyone I know who has moved over there loves it, know a bunch of people who live over there and commute to summit to work, one guy drives from eagle to breck every day, go figure, if you really like skiing I'd stay in avon or edwards or eagle vail if you like biking and family time eagle is it
    That pretty much sums up my impression so far. I have a few friends over there and they all love it. I never understood. The crowds are slightly less over there, usually. We've all seen the Vail lift lines that are visible from space though. Fuck that. Of course all the skiing in Summit is ruined every weekend too. Summit does have a much longer season, but it's just crowded as fuck in the spring.

I know of some access point for bc skiing over there but most are a little involved even when using the lifts. I think I'd have to get a sled.

From the non skiing aspect. Eagle is intriguing. A little more open and slightly further from the highway. They are working on building trails but yeah, it is limited, but we'd be closer to GJ/Fruita/Moab so that's cool.

What is the housing market like over there? Here in Summit, housing is going through the roof. Is Eagle county on a hudge upswing too? I've been looking at Zillow and it seems like it is, but not as much as Summit.

Economy? Cost of living? Shit, Eagle has a damn Costco. Glenwood isn't too far away either.

Any Eagle locals want to chime in?

The weather is good over there? I was under the impression from montanaskier that it always sucked

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The weather is good over there? I was under the impression from montanaskier that it always sucked
    I guess it is all relative to your personal definition of good weather. The wife wants warmer weather, I could care less.

I have to go over to Eagle from time to time...
    It's not too bad a town, has locals and a little vibe.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I have to go over to Eagle from time to time...
    It's not too bad a town, has locals and a little vibe.
    Yeah, I've gotten that. We hung out in Eagle for a day, rode bikes, had lunch, and a few beers. People seem pretty happy and friendly. Everyone said hi when riding around town. Not a bad spot. The commute would kinda suck, but nothing worse than what I do now to Breck except it is on the old I70 which can be a wild card.

The only time I have ever wished it would "NOT SNOW" is when I moved in with my X in Eagle and was commuting to Eagle-Vail every day. Sure it's only 30 minutes but when it snows and everyone's trying to get to work, or ski + semis and random people crossing the country it could be a shit show.

That being said there is actually uber fun mtb riding in Eagle. I forget the names "boneyard maybe"? but you can easily ride to a majority of the trail heads from town.

There is a Moe's BBQ (it was there 2nd location..)

hmm, whatelse? The truck stop comment summed it up well. There are round abouts too. More families down in Gyptucky and your $$ will go much farther or did 10 years ago.

You are close to Glenwood, close to river surfing. Closer to Aspen.

Vail is flat, Beaver Creek has some steeps and free cookies. Head to the race track trees (sorry local bros).

There is some legit backcountry near Eagle, Castle Peak etc etc... However its known to be faceted snow. I did an old blog post about it here

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Yeah, I've gotten that. We hung out in Eagle for a day, rode bikes, had lunch, and a few beers. People seem pretty happy and friendly. Everyone said hi when riding around town. Not a bad spot. The commute would kinda suck, but nothing worse than what I do now to Breck except it is on the old I70 which can be a wild card.
    Commute within Eagle County on I 70 shouldn't be too bad. It's through the canyon or over the pass on the regular that I'd have hesitation.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Eagle is cool. I've been here for 10 years. Slowly getting bigger. Fantastic mountain biking with a long season. Lots of unmarked trails to explore. Access to skiing is killer. Vail/BC is an easy 30 min in good weather. Steamboat and Aspen are both about 1 1/2-2 hours away depending on weather. Backcountry in every direction. It's an ideal family town with the best schools you will find anywhere in the country. Most of the people and families are friendly, kind, positive. Lot's of cool community happenings: free summer concerts in the town park, ice skating/pond hockey on the outdoor town rink, stuff like that.

Parking at BC costs money now, forget it. Go to carbondale
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

I've been in Edwards for 13 years now and prefer it to anywhere else in the Valley for access to skiing, rivers and mountain biking. Edwards has a great local vibe and so does Eagle. Eagle is a bit more small town vibe but they go to bed early and fewer of them spend their time on the hill. Edwards is a younger crowd with a ton more night life close by. There is only one hotel in Edwards so the tourist influx isn't too bad compared to Avon and Vail. I commute to Eagle for work and appreciate their warmer weather during shoulder seasons but don't dig the climate beyond that. Too hot in the summer for me and they don't see near as much snow in the winter other than way up high. Kya is right about schools until the kids reach high school and then I would give an edge to Battle Mountain. Coming from summit will be a bit of a change but it should be an easy switch. I doubt you'll be unhappy in either place.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Kya and DaHeel are assholes.

Do not trust.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Nice place, even more removed from Denver. Only problem, your stuck with VR.

Good to get some info from some folks who actually live there. Honestly never considered living over there before but it does intrigue me. I think that we are leaning towards Edwards at least to start, because that is where the job is and my wife would be commuting back and forth to Summit for a while so shorter commute. Nothing set in stone yet, but still considering it.

Well, it is looking more and more like this will become a reality. Any more folks have any input?

Real estate is crazy over there right now, no surprise. We might have to squeeze into a condo for a while.

What do the locals do for fun over there? Besides skiing and biking? Do I have to buy a kayak? Any good bars that aren't overrun by tourists? What's the best brewery?

In case you missed it, don't go to the hospital. Go to the FR or just die, apparently it's cheaper.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    In case you missed it, don't go to the hospital. Go to the FR or just die, apparently it's cheaper.
    Yeah, known that one for a while. Summit ain't much better. Of course we know a lot of the docs over here so we can work around some of the BS, sometimes we just go to the FR. MRI in Denver = 1/3 of Summit.

You will be in a much better place for whitewater sports... doesn't have to be a kayak
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    You will be in a much better place for whitewater sports... doesn't have to be a kayak
    That new WW park in Eagle looks fun.

Real estate is crazy over there right now, no surprise. We might have to squeeze into a condo for a while.
    RE's slowing down in the RFV and I would think that it is in Eagle County, as well. Might not be a bad time to rent for a year or so and find out exactly where you'd like to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    RE's slowing down in the RFV and I would think that it is in Eagle County, as well. Might not be a bad time to rent for a year or so and find out exactly where you'd like to settle.
    We are definitely considering renting. Or buying a 1 or 2 br condo close to the slopes that we can keep as a rental property down the road when we move into a house. Lots of options right now.

We are definitely considering renting. Or buying a 1 or 2 br condo close to the slopes that we can keep as a rental property down the road when we move into a house. Lots of options right now.
    Not slowing down. If you can afford something close to the slopes, why are you wasting time on TGR? There are lots of islands out there to visit during mud season.

375 Young St just listed this week for $499,000. I looked at it in 2013 when it sold for $268,000... and thought that was too much money for an old shitty house on a tiny lot. DOUBLE YOUR MONEY!?

Bonfire>7 Hermits>VBC>GRB>Crazy Mtn

Too bad there's nothing to do here. I wish we had a few less months of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Not slowing down.

375 Young St just listed this week for $499,000. I looked at it in 2013 when it sold for $268,000... and thought that was too much money for an old shitty house on a tiny lot. DOUBLE YOUR MONEY!?.
    People can list for anything they want.
    Closings another matter.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/37...13499264_zpid/

Starter home REO'd @ 440 in 2007 and bottomed out in 2013.

I wouldn't be in any hurry right now.
    Depends on the OP's circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Bonfire>VBC>7 Hermits>GRB>Crazy Mtn
    FIFY IMHO anyway.