Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Do you mean Sawmill? I know they were working on that a little bit this summer when we were up there, and right now it's only 2-3 miles long coming off the top.
    I think that's it. Trying to make an epic, ahem, *Epic* descent from 11k to town
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    I think that's it. Trying to make an epic, ahem, *Epic* descent from 11k to town
    Heh. I'll definitely be helping out with the build, since I can hop on Hardscrabble in about five minutes from our to-be house. That would be an awesome descent combining the stuff up high with Mike's, Abrams Ridge, etc.

Heh. I'll definitely be helping out with the build, since I can hop on Hardscrabble in about five minutes from our to-be house. That would be an awesome descent combining the stuff up high with Mike's, Abrams Ridge, etc.
    Just out of curiosity - does Eagle have any "penalties" of any sort (that you know of) if you buy land and don't develop it for a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just out of curiosity - does Eagle have any "penalties" of any sort (that you know of) if you buy land and don't develop it for a few years?
    No.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

^^^ What he said. The only real penalty I can see is that they tax undeveloped land at a much higher rate than single-family residences, so you'll be paying a lot higher (relative) property tax versus if you build on it right away.

^^^ What he said. The only real penalty I can see is that they tax undeveloped land at a much higher rate than single-family residences, so you'll be paying a lot higher (relative) property tax versus if you build on it right away.
    That's what I meant by penalty. Good to know...

This is true is most/many Colorado mountain counties. Also, if you are in a water and san district. You may have to pay the service fees even if you don't have any improvements. Basically, the counties encourage development in platted subdivisions to get the tax $ because all the improvements are already in place.

Buy and hold investment in residential lots is hard to pencil out because the holding costs/opportunity costs are so high. Ag land is a little different. I know so many people that bought land because they thought that they'd build, prices would go up, etc. and it turned out to be not such a good deal.

I haven't really been paying attention to this thread... throw me in to any invites for BC or Mt. Biking. We bought in Gypsum earlier this year, so far the kids and wife are loving it. We get the chance to do a lot of outdoor stuff. Take a look at Pickups Pizza in Eagle, good but a little $$. Coffeehouse or somethign like that brewing has a good locals vibe. Music/stuff for kids in eagle in summer. Rec Center in Gypsum is pretty inexpensive and the rock wall isn't bad.

We moved here from Basalt, although I'm still over on that side of the ridge at least 2-3 times a week. Rent there was getting out of control.... my landlord doubled what we were paying and got it in a heartbeat. I'm really interested in this hardscrabble trail.. what are the deets on that?

Is there any BC off of Hardscrabble worth the time to get into it?

Went to Costco last weekend. That playground off of Brush Creek is pretty dope.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    I'm really interested in this hardscrabble trail.. what are the deets on that?
    Unfortunately I don't know anything more about it... I just overheard some of the bike shop guys talking about it, and that's all I could gather with limited knowledge of the actual plans.

Any updates on what's going on over on the Gypsum side? When are they going to build out that side of the ridge with some dope trails?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Ok. I deserved that... yes.. those are the trails near Gypsum, I was thinking more of Hardscrabble proper... to the south of town. There's some gnarly looking chutes back there. Any access to those?

https://www.blm.gov/visit/hardscrabble-east-eagle

Should answer any questions you have. Pay special attention to the winter closure.

Yeah... the area I'm talking about is pretty far south of that, it's not BLM< it's in White River. I don't think they share management. On the first map you shared it's south of Mikes Night Out and Seven Hermits. Both good trails... but this is farther out. Not sure how to access in winter, although I'm wondering if it's easiest to drop in from the Basalt Mountain side. I have always been amazed there isn't a hut over that way.

Did any of you see that someone dropped their Porche Panamera off the side of Cottonwood pass yesterday? Ouch...
    Name:  24302395_1531416743594023_7613738856923772076_o.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  145.5 KB

Did you use the zoomable map on the second link? It's all right there.

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    <snip>
    Did any of you see that someone dropped their Porche Panamera off the side of Cottonwood pass yesterday? Ouch...
    Name:  24302395_1531416743594023_7613738856923772076_o.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  145.5 KB
    Boy, now THAT is an expensive trip to Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This is true is most/many Colorado mountain counties. Also, if you are in a water and san district. You may have to pay the service fees even if you don't have any improvements. Basically, the counties encourage development in platted subdivisions to get the tax $ because all the improvements are already in place.

Buy and hold investment in residential lots is hard to pencil out because the holding costs/opportunity costs are so high. Ag land is a little different. I know so many people that bought land because they thought that they'd build, prices would go up, etc. and it turned out to be not such a good deal.
    In Colorado, there are 2 assessment rates: residential and non-res, at 7.2% and 29%. Non-res includes restaurants, warehouses, hotels, vacant land. So if you have a $100k house, your assessed value to pay taxes on is $7200. If you own a $100k vacant lot, your assessed value is $29,000.

The Town of Eagle doesn't have any penalty for not developing. Eagle Ranch does have a significant metro district, doubles taxes of old Eagle.

Bumping this up again because the wife and I are moving to Eagle in two months... we're renting a house over near the Boneyard TH for a while until our house is built, which means post-ride beers on our back deck for anyone that wants to ride (we're building in Eagle Ranch, and our property backs up to the Mayer Gulch trail). I've got most of July and August free, and I'd love to explore some of the far-off areas up on Hardscrabble.

I also plan on being fairly involved with the Hardscrabble Trails Coalition, if anyone else is a member with those guys.

Congrats on the move!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Congrats, welcome to eagle county

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    Congrats, welcome to eagle county
    We made sure to send someone back to the Front Range when we signed our lease, so don't worry- it's not getting more crowded up there because of us.

We made sure to send someone back to the Front Range when we signed our lease, so don't worry- it's not getting more crowded up there because of us.
    Then that makes you especially welcome!

Bump.... we're finally in Eagle- moved last weekend. We're currently renting just outside of town in the Bluffs neighborhood, so if anyone wants to meet up for a ride and beer, let me know.

Not a bad place to explore so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NolanLake-2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	241515