Ever hooked yourself...in the lip?

Yesterday the bnb customer was trying an over the offside shoulder cast and hooked himself in the lip... What are the chances?

The barb was squeezed shut but maybe not enough cuz it wouldn't come out so he had to poke it thru, apparently it bled lots but he looked fine this am, any way he landed 2 steelhead right after that so maybe it was a karma thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not in the lip, but watched my older brother hook my younger brother in the ear one day in the boat when we were kids. That had to hurt.

I saw a guy Brad Pitt himself in the chin with a coho fly. He squealed like a bitch and wouldn't let anyone fix it, in front of his son. I felt bad for the kid. I think he ended up driving his dad 20 miles to the E-room, even though he was, like, 11 or 12 or something.

Saw a guy get his index finger hung on a 16/0 circle hook on a longline as it got rubberbanded through through a fish lip on a crucifier. The hook started through the soft part of his finger, and hung at the barb coming out the nail on the other side. I had to pull it through with needlenose pliers before I could cut the hook with some dykes and pull it back out with some gangion. Thank fuck for Xylocaine and Betadine. I almost puked afterwards, from the stress of having to look at it for four minutes.
    Last edited by highangle; 10-10-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Most people who have done any fishing have hooked themselves but I thot hooking himself in the lip like a fish was kind of ironic

This guy was fishn alone so he had to deal with it by himself out on the river, there was lots of blood and no mirror to see

I assume buddy didn't wana go home to show his wife so he stayed/payed for an extra 3 nights and shuttles

When I was out whackin ocean fish one of the guides on a fairly de-lux outfit took a Halibut circle hook into his forearm... I bet it hurt right away... and probably continued to hurt for the 2+hr boat ride back to rupert. Sounded like it was deep.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

ya so I see on FB you also got hooked eh

Never in the lip, but I've had a few gems..

Once when I was about 12, I was running up my parents front steps holding a surf rod in my hand with a big 3oz popper with two sets of rust trebles hooked to the first guide.. somehow it came off the guide it was connected to and started to swing around and I managed to bury a treble into each one of my thighs, essentially locking my legs together mid thigh. Really lucky I missed my junk... Fun trip to the ER..

Just a few weeks back I was out surf casting and was trying out a few new top water plugs. Right out of the package, didn't change out the split rings or the hooks as I usually do, I just wanted to see how they would load on a new rod I just built. Anywho, I was on the sand, with a patch of eelgrass and rocks about 3 feet in front of me. Lure gest hung up on the rocks, I give it a quick tug to free it, it comes flying back at me. Hits me square in the calf as I turned away and one of the trebles buried itself in my leg. Couldn't back it out so I bit down on the butt end of the rod pushed the hook through all the way and then crushed the barb and backed it out... New rod is fucking money, but always crush your barbs even when you are just going for a test ride..

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ive about knocked myself out with a coneheaded meat whistle to the back of the head in a chuck but didn't duck cast
    put a few in fingers trying to unhook
    puled this one outta dfinns shoulder

took 3 tries though
    have had a few end up stuck while in the rowers seat

and one to the nose

i missed underoos sex dungeon to the nipple extraction though
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

the nose is almost the mouth eh!

Smile damn

damn these are some next level stuff. i ve been hooked on my finger pretty bad. i was arranging a tangled string and my friend moved the rod so it hooked right onto my fingers and worse my friend even pulled the rod after. so yeah felt like a fish for a moment.

When I was a kid, we went fishing for bluegills on the Mississippi. My grandmother and grandfather were teaching us how to cast. Grandma went to cast and hooked her eyebrow. Fishing over and trip to local doctor.

Walking through the mall past Hot Topix the other day...I guess grandma was a trendsetter.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

A buddy has a new cornea and always wears glasses when fishing now. I got my shoulder blade with a big steelhead fly. I tried to trick myself by pulling on two. Still hurt.

It's amazing how much difference it makes doing a hook extraction depending on the person it's being extracted from's general attitude. It can be a 30 second clip and clean or it can be a several hour tear deluge ending in an ER visit, hurt feelings and changed opinions of people. Granted, an ER trip may be warranted in some cases but some people just have no idea how to keep it together when the slightest hiccup occurs.

I just did a hook push through/clip/pull back out jobber like two weeks ago, but the guy who stuck himself just took it like a champ and we carried on fishing. I've seen people lose their shit completely and not let anyone near it etc. and man... They did not do themselves ANY favors doing so. Cheers to anybody who took their piercing like a badass.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Cheers to anybody who took their piercing like a badass.
    Case in point, my friend Scott.

This photo was posted last summer. I hooked him in the lip with the rear hook of a streamer. We pulled the boat over, cut the front hook off and assessed the situation. We were several miles from the takeout and probably 3-4 hours away from any medical care. He knew what he had to do.
    There was a barb. We pushed it through, pinched the barb, and backed it out. It did not go smoothly. Scott didn't move a muscle or make a sound the whole time. He just took it like a fucking man. Hardly bled at all. Kept fishing. Scott is not a pussy.

Amen to solid folks making a difference on both sides during these situations. Not hook related but if you haven't watched the vid that was circulating in Facebook about how to remove a ring when a finger becomes severely swollen you should. We were fishing a lake a couple miles in and prob 2-3hr from nearest help. It shows how to do it with dental floss but we managed it with some 5x. Wife's finger was starting to turn purple before we got it off. Swollen from a horsefly bite of all things. Everyone was calm and went back to pounding whiskey and beer and catching fish. Another reason I hardly ever wear my ring.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...ital-1.4248261

A fishook collection from the ER in Dryden Ontario

My brother and I were fishing Muskies in MN about 10 years ago; the fishing was very good. There was one other boat working the area. We noticed one guy in the back, fishing hard, while another guy sat in the bow with his hand in a towel, drinking beer. When we got closer, the guy in front asked if we had any tools. It seems that he had a huge hook embedded deep in his thumb, and couldn't get it out, but his buddy refused to go to shore because the fishing was so good. We had tools; he didn't seem to know what to do, so we talked him through how to push it through the skin, clip the barb off, and pull it back out. He was pretty drunk, which kept the screaming to a minimum.