Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Euro Mini Summit

OK, so it's finally happening.

Mulletizer, Hayduke, Truth, Tom, Glisseur, Ripzalot, BrotherChris, BrownMonkey (and possibly some surprise guests ) plus me will be gathering in La Grave between the 17th and 30th of January. I'll have a car so there should be some excursions to other resorts on the cards, dependent on snow.

Anyone who wants a bit of hot Eurotrash action is welcome along. Early sacrifices to Ullr look promising.
    Last edited by bad_roo; 12-03-2003 at 08:22 AM.

Re: Euro Mini Summit

Will there be a commemorative sticker involved?

Wink

But of course.

Originally posted by bad_roo
    But of course.
    Mmmmmmmm...........stickers. Better than poaching professional photographers photos and posting them.

Mmmmmmmm...........stickers. Better than poaching professional photographers photos and posting them.
    Now I don't know what you mean by this but it can be organised...

How about sending some pmgear schwag over so we can spread the word

edit: like real pro photos of the event... you know what I mean...
    Last edited by Mulletizer; 11-28-2003 at 11:47 AM.

Originally posted by Mulletizer
    Now I don't know what you mean by this but it can be organised...

How about sending some pmgear schwag over so we can spread the word

edit: like real pro photos of the event... you know what I mean...
    Consider yourself schwagged, Mull. After shipping you that skibag for five bucks (Doh!), you virtually became PMG's first spancered skier. BTW - it should arrive in time for La Grave.

If one was to try and get there, what airport would one choose to fly into from the states?

Skibag? Skibag! I don't remember that. Have I been buying stuff on the net when drunk again? I swore I wouldn't do that since I bought my computer... Seriously, do you mean the gloves? They're sweet (and the shipping was cheap) but I don't remember a skibag. Or is this something very generous and am I being a total jong?

Truth: the nearest airport is Lyon. Geneva is easier and cheaper to fly into from NAm but a bitch to get to La Grave from. Trains take best part of a day, there's one bus a day that sometimes runs. You'd basically have to hire a car.

Transport:
    local buses - www.vfd.fr
    lyon airport bus to grenoble - here
    trains - www.voyages-sncf.fr (this site sucks)

Skibag? Skibag! I don't remember that. Have I been buying stuff on the net when drunk again? I swore I wouldn't do that since I bought my computer... Seriously, do you mean the gloves? They're sweet (and the shipping was cheap) but I don't remember a skibag. Or is this something very generous and am I being a total jong?
    My mistake. It wasn't you. Sorry, PMG's unintended spancered Euroskier will remain anonymous.

KevGloves will be representing in force...

Uhoh...$429 RT Chicago to Lyon, France on KLM 1/17 - 1/24...this might be doable.

Truth: the nearest airport is Lyon. Geneva is easier and cheaper to fly into from NAm but a bitch to get to La Grave from. Trains take best part of a day, there's one bus a day that sometimes runs. You'd basically have to hire a car.
    Grenoble is closer; and there are flights from the US to Grenoble at good prices from time to time.

Milan or Turin also work, but is rental-car dependant.

Originally posted by Telepath
    Grenoble is closer;
    My mistake, thought it was European only. Grenoble is much easier than Geneva and a bit easier than Lyon.

Thumbs up

Grenoble is definitely the money shot. I'm flying in to Marseille and taking the scenic route...

Grenoble from Chicago is running about $1000...Lyons is dirt cheap...is it that big a differance?

Nope... go for lyon if it's that much cheaper (I say it takes about an hour more to get to La Grave)..

Unfortunately I'm out for the Euro mini, because it's during my 'must-do-must-pass'-exam-period.. I'm totally bummed by this fucking university and it's crap timetables.. Sorry guys..

On the other hand, this makes it somewhat easier to scrape together the budget for the alta mini..

Cheers Splat!

Truth, AH is right. Do Lyons if you can get a good price. It should be fairly easy to get from there to La Grave. I'll post more info in a bit.
    Last edited by Hayduke; 11-29-2003 at 10:48 AM.

Originally posted by AH
    Nope... go for lyon if it's that much cheaper (I say it takes about an hour more to get to La Grave)..

Unfortunately I'm out for the Euro mini, because it's during my 'must-do-must-pass'-exam-period.. I'm totally bummed by this fucking university and it's crap timetables.. Sorry guys..

The same might be the problem for me.....although my exams may be half over by then.........
    im considering it.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

All this talk about exams - d'oh. Come on guys, it's just a question of priorities. I'm starting to have trouble believing you are real skiers

Allright...I'm willing to pull the trigger if you euro mags will help me work out the details on getting from Lyon to La Grave. I'm looking to arrive in Lyon @ 11:00 am 1/18/04 and depart Lyon @ 6:45 am 1/24/04. If there might be better dates or what not let me know.

Truth, 1st option: £61 return from Lyon St. Exupery Airport - La Grave (2.5 hr coach transfer) Tel: +44 (0)870 770 0408 or http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.190

Option 2: Transferring from Lyon airport to La Grave area
    There are train connections to Grenoble from Lyon airport. Information from European Rail Ltd +44 (0)171 387 0444 and Rail Europe Ltd +44 (0)870 584 8848. See the following for transfering from Grenoble to La Grave.

Option 3: Sheeite website but contact no's are there....http://www.satobus-alps.com/english/ ( I reckon this is the best bet)

Let me know & I'll bell the UK numbers on Monday

From Lyon take the bus to Grenoble. They run at least every hour on the half hour, the journey takes about 1 hour.

From Grenoble take bus no 303 at 1400 towards Les Deux Alpes. Ask the driver to let you off at the Barrage de Chambon (this is where the road splits between LDA and La Grave). You can then either hitch or arrange someone to come down from La G to pick you up. Congratulations, at this point you've reached Valkley X and will be able to see the Meije if it's clear. Hitching is easy as the road only goes to one place - i've hitched there with gear loads of times without probs. It's about 12km from there to La Grave.

There are a couple of other options: There's a direct bus to La Grave from Grenoble (route 306) but it doesn't leave until 1800.

It might also be worth calling the Skierslodge and asking nicely if they're running a transfer from Grenoble station that day. They'll charge you a bit more but it'll make life a lot easier - guess it'll be free if you choose to stay there. They are running new package services this season so it's possible they may be running trransfers from Lyon, only speculation though.

Check these bus timings closer to the time, they are liable to change slightly.

Getting back is a bit more tricky as there aren't any really early buses. You'd have to spend a night in Grenoble or Lyon and get from there to the airport. Getting to the cities is easy. I spent a night in a Grenoble hotel last year for 25Euros so that's pretty cheap. The first bus from there to the airport gets there at 6.05 - cutting it fine but it shouldn't be late at that time of the morning.

Hiring a car will make your life easier but it'll cost a bomb.

Next question please.

edit: dammit Hayduke you beat me
    Last edited by Mulletizer; 11-29-2003 at 03:18 PM.

Fuckit. Read what he wrote.

Thanks for the info. Where are you all staying in La Grave? Being a euro JONG and flying solo it'd be nice to grab a room in the same hotel or what ever as some of you. I'm going to lock in my vaca time monday and book my flight, you maggots are gonna be there for sure those dates right?
    Last edited by truth; 11-29-2003 at 03:33 PM.