Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vest or jacket as midlayer?

Looking at getting a jacket like the Higgins or something similar along with a midlayer like the nano puff.

Would it be better to get the full on jacket (with sleeves) or the vest to use as a midlayer?

I'm generally skiing out in CO or Tahoe.

TIA

I use a Nano Puff vest under my hard shell and stay plenty warm except on really cold days, but then again I overheat easily and sweat like a mother. Most days are spent skiing in Alberta/BC so a drier cold like Colorado.

Pattagucci fanboy here and my jacket of choice is the Untracked with an R1 hoody as a base layer... If it is cold enough than I will add the Nano Puff Air vest, which is the absolute bomb...!

Patagonia Better Sweater Vest is my favourite mid layer for lift served skiing.

If it's really cold I add a Patagonia Down Sweater between the vest and my shell.

I have a Higgins and find it's drafty on cold days, so I'd recommend a jacket vs a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
    Patagonia Better Sweater Vest is my favourite mid layer for lift served skiing.

If it's really cold I add a Patagonia Down Sweater between the vest and my shell.
    ^^^ you don't have problems with sweat moisture freezing up when using down?

I prefer a vest as a mid layer most of the time in Co. Gonna try to track down a decent deal on a vest made with polartech alpha this year cuz that stuff is tits. Crazy wide comfort range.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ^^^ you don't have problems with sweat moisture freezing up when using down?
    No. My shell is 3 layer Pertex Shield and the down layer spends most of the time in my pack and only gets put on over the fleece vest if I am cold.

I have had that problem when sleeping in the cold with a down sleeping bag and Goretex sleeping bag cover, but it only started to happen when I bought a new waterproof sleeping bag cover that was less breathable than my old one.
    Last edited by Oceanic; 10-05-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Vest as mid-layer 100%. A cheap fleece vest works fine. But the Pata nano air vests, Arc atom vests, or similar are lighter and breathe better. They are however much more expensive and easier to tear.

A nanopuff or similar wont breathe....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

When it gets really cold I add a Nano Puff jacket to my base/mid/shell combo. Even with 4 layers I have no trouble moving my arms. I've never had any trouble with a Nano Puff breathing. People expect too much from breathable garments--if you are overdressed for the temp and degree of exertion you will get sweaty no matter what. If you run a couple of miles when it's 90 degrees you'll get sweaty even if you aren't wearing a shirt.

Honestly, if I regularly skied inbounds in a dry, cold climate, I would 100% own an insulated hardshell and not mess with the midlayer nonsense. So much easier to regulate your temp when you have direct access to vents that bypass the insulation.

(Which is why the Arc Fissile is on my "to find at a deep discount" list.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Honestly, if I regularly skied inbounds in a dry, cold climate, I would 100% own an insulated hardshell and not mess with the midlayer nonsense. )
    in which you can use almost any thing for lift riding, i use an old MEC insulated gortex lite loft with big inner pockets for stuff and thats all i need
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Similar, I go between Tahoe and Montana in winters; two very different climates. In Tahoe a simple R1 vest under shell is fine. In Big Sky, I up it to a Marmot Variant jacket under a shall, which is just OK as you lose a lot of heat out the back. But, as someone else mentioned, if you want warm, get an insulated jacket. If I was only a MT skier, that would be the best option.

I feel like a dork wearing it but a nano air vest under the shell has been super awesome for typical Colorado temps.

I vacillate between the PNW and CO. I virtually always ski in
    0) A merino wools long sleev shirt. 2 of them if in CO on subzero morning.
    1) A windstop vest.
    2) Uninsulated goretex shell or merino wool shell if warm+sunny.
    3) A polypro scarf, easy to remove.

I'm generally pretty cool, don't sweat a lot and am comfy in the merino+vest+shell+scarf even in subzero w/wind.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

at the local hill its really all about being warm enough at -15c AND wearing the same thing so you are recognized by yer ski buds, when i first got here i walked right by a ski bud and my GF said hey thats Ian you know but without his ski costume ...didnt recognize him
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Want to revisit this: does everyone find a vest better for layering on 10° and below inbounds days? Synthetic I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I vacillate between the PNW and CO. I virtually always ski in
    0) A merino wools long sleev shirt. 2 of them if in CO on subzero morning.
    1) A windstop vest.
    2) Uninsulated goretex shell or merino wool shell if warm+sunny.
    3) A polypro scarf, easy to remove.

I'm generally pretty cool, don't sweat a lot and am comfy in the merino+vest+shell+scarf even in subzero w/wind.
    This.. 90% of my days resort skiing in CO consist of L/S merino T + thin merino hoody + shell. And that leaves me hot a lot of the time. CO is really damn warm...

Nano air under shell. Great piece of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    This.. 90% of my days resort skiing in CO consist of L/S merino T + thin merino hoody + shell. And that leaves me hot a lot of the time. CO is really damn warm...
    Even when above treeline, 30 mph winds, 10° or below?! That's pretty normal for CO.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Honestly, if I regularly skied inbounds in a dry, cold climate, I would 100% own an insulated hardshell and not mess with the midlayer nonsense. So much easier to regulate your temp when you have direct access to vents that bypass the insulation.

(Which is why the Arc Fissile is on my "to find at a deep discount" list.)
    ^^^ This ^^^

After years of doing the layer thing when riding lifts, I finally gave up two years ago. @Harry pointed me to the Arc'teryx Kappa jacket (https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/kappa-hoody) and I haven't looked back. There was a nice MEC jacket that @Leavenworth Skier recommended (as there are many others as well), but it didn't fit quite as well.

A merino base layer (or whatever isn't in the wash at the time), and I'm good to go.

I view lift riding a bit differently in the sense that some things are out of your control (like a lift stoppage above tree line when the wind is howling) & it makes for an unpleasant experience. On the flip side (overheating), I have plenty of time while riding the lift to unzip and control the moisture/heat generated on the down.

My shells are for touring.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-07-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^^^ that definitely looks interesting. Can't afford it tho. Any other suggestions for windblocking insulated jackets like that?

As for vests: I haven't tried one but feel my arms would be freezing.

I've never understood vests. When it is cold outside, what gets cold the quickest? Your extremities. So, let's design a a clothing item that is designed to keep your core warm, but your arms exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Even when above treeline, 30 mph winds, 10° or below?! That's pretty normal for CO.
    i grew up in new england and I cant say ive ever been legit "cold" skiing in colorado. I was used to my eyelids freezing shut if I took my goggles off on the lift..

i'll still always bring a puffy in my pack when I go touring though.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    I've never understood vests. When it is cold outside, what gets cold the quickest? Your extremities. So, let's design a a clothing item that is designed to keep your core warm, but your arms exposed.
    Didnt your dad ever tell you that keeping your extremities warm was all about keeping your core warm..?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Freeride System
    Buy Local Support Mag industry
    Yep. A Bross, a Harisson, and a Freeride Systems shell will cover most bases.