Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

I loved the ending with the Radiohead cover building throughout, the use of music in this show has been fantastic. After finishing I had to check to confirm that another season was planned, it totally would have worked as contained story ending the series where it did (though it does seem like another is planned which is great news). I have a lot of questions and thoughts so I'll probably have to rewatch but I'm really curious to know more about the other parks.

Just read a Deadspin article - and the author totally missed the point. The author harped about how the show wouldn't be interesting without human interest. Well, isn't that on of the Show's conceits - that the awakened Hosts can be more real(ized) than humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    That's not what I took away from what Bernard told her.
    Well, its certainly a show capable of contradictory theorizing. But my take that Maeve's decison was self-determination is confirmed.

"Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy were guests on this week's Vulture TV Podcast, and they were very clear about her motivations: She was, indeed, finally throwing off the shackles of her narrative programming. The topic came up during a discussion about recurring shots and filming techniques in the first season: As Nolan explained, Steadicam shots indicate that hosts are doing what they've been told to do, but handheld shots indicate that they're acting on their own. Here's Nolan dishing on Maeve (emphasis added):

'In the finale, when Maeve gets onto that train ... the Steadicam is leading her over. Now, it’s just keeping pace with her as she makes the decision. What we understand in the moment is it’s the first real decision she's made all season. Which is, she's not going to fulfill the script she's been given, which is to take this train wherever it's going, and do whatever else she's programmed to do. She can get off the train. At which point, we shift to handheld camera, which we'd held back on throughout the entire season until one moment with her, and one moment with Dolores, when Teddy comes to rescue her. We get Maeve off the train with a handheld camera. And I remember watching the dailies and almost being shocked at how effective a cinematic technique can be if you hold off on it for long enough. If you dial it in at just the right moment, that suggests she's literally like a train coming off the tracks. We're no longer in programmatic or prescribed behaviors. She's improvising, and we're right there with her.' "
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    and one moment with Dolores, when Teddy comes to rescue her.
    This doesn't really jive with Teddy and Delores riding to where the 'ocean meets the mountains' - which turns out to be Ford's finale of their storyline. That was a great scene when the floodlights came on. - Although I guess that could be a different Teddy-rescue scene.

I'm throwing out the possibility that Delores shot a host-version of Ford.

We're assuming that Ford sent the army from cold storage to take out the Delos BoD right?

What was the guy doing who opened the cold storage room and discovered it was empty?

Charlotte sent him there to retrieve Dolores' father (whose mind contained the stolen data) in order put him on the train headed outside.

Also: Ford is dead dead. Anthony Hopkins is apparently not in season 2. Ed Harris apparently is, though.

I'm going to go back to episode 1 and try over.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/per...s-of-westworld
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Finally finished up the last couple episodes this week. That did not disappoint in the least. I'm in full agreement with PB, non-stop mindfuck and I can't stop watching. Too bad the next season doesn't drop until 2018. Might have to rewatch it just because and to see what I may have missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Also, it's certain Bernard took out Elsie. However, if she is uncovering Delos's conspiracy why would Ford have her killed? Or is that transmitter actually not related to the sat uplink and Ford is using the transmitter to control 1st gen hosts undetected and Elsie kind of stumbled across it with her investigation?
    She had uncovered Ford's planned host uprising. Though it appears he was using Arnold's login to do the programming.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    it totally would have worked as contained story ending the series where it did
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Ed Harris apparently is, though.
    Awesome. I wonder what kind of comeuppance he'll receive for his decades of exploits in the park. It was great seeing him find out that the maze had meaning only for the hosts. In a way he was stuck in a loop just like the hosts, endlessly searching for meaning where there was none to be found.

Well, its certainly a show capable of contradictory theorizing. But my take that Maeve's decison was self-determination is confirmed.
    At first I thought getting on the train was simply the last thing she was programmed to do, after that it was up to her. When they're in the cold storage after they wake up Bernard, he says what she's programmed to do up to the point of getting on the train but is interrupted before he can finish. I thought Maeve cutting him off was a tell that that was the end of her pre-programmed actions. Nolan's quote is pretty explicit that her programming extended beyond that point though.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    We're assuming that Ford sent the army from cold storage to take out the Delos BoD right?
    That was certainly part of it, but it seems he was also liberating them for their own sake. The main takeway from the finale appears to be Ford's realization that Arnold was right, he was wrong, and he's responsible for unfathomable suffering. Arnold tried to burn it all to the ground to prevent that from happening. But, now that it can't be undone Ford decided to just set them all free, and the meager humans who enslaved and abused them can suffer the consequences.

My take is that an Arnold might still exist. Just as Ford was able to recreate Arnold as Bernard, so could Arnold recreate himself and, being the superior programmer of the two, he accomplished it well before Ford did. But, the big difference, Arnold never gave his AI creation a physical body and it was embedded into Westworld's central system and in the architecture of the host's minds.
    I had similar thoughts for a while as well. The finale changed my mind though. Arnold appeared quite set on completely eliminating himself, seeing himself as the critical link required for the park to become a reality. If he had left a copy of himself within the system he knew Ford could have found it and exploited it.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 12-29-2016 at 03:15 PM.

WESTWORLD

I am started watching Westworld, but this series is some what different from the others.

I've watched the two episodes of season 1.

I am waiting when I am going to finish the first season.

Westworld series id bit difficult to understand.

..... as is your post.

Season 2 first trailer released

Dead tiger
    Dolores and Teddy go on a killing spree
    Dune buggies

Who's looking forward to season 2? The Man In Black's finally happy in the new trailer.

I've been rewatching and I'd highly recommend it. I only have the finale left and it's been even better the second time around.

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Last edited by Dantheman; 04-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Careful ..... overly high expectations may result in Der poopenhausen

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Careful ..... overly high expectations may result in Der poopenhausen
    The trailers are exceeding my expectations for awesome piano covers so far so I’m optimistic about that at least.

Damn. To wait and binge watch or do the long version? I hate waiting between episodes of some series like this one.

Anticipation: makes the good things better, and the bad things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Damn. To wait and binge watch or do the long version? I hate waiting between episodes of some series like this one.
    I usually watched each episode twice anyhow.. seemed like that was the only way I had any chance of understanding and following what was going on each week

Tonight, return of the robots with tits and guns. Psyched!

Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 284
Size:  13.2 KB

Time's Up has gotten their grips into robot land.

Loving season 2 . I like how they are going back to the origins
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Finally watched the opener. Looks like this is going to be a hell of a ride. Who was the host floating in the closing shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Finally watched the opener. Looks like this is going to be a hell of a ride. Who was the host floating in the closing shot?
    Teddy
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky