Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    The orgy scene was, 'meh'. It was so peripheral to the main characters I didn't really pay much mind to it.
    People were fucking robots and you didn't care?

wtf

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I actually think Westworld is better than Inception (so far) - better characters, scenery/setting (thought the morphing of the habit in Inception just became cartoonish and Matrix-like; oh and Dicaprio was incorrectly cast as the lead) but I definitely see your point.
    Another Nolan theme I just thought of is that a lot of their characters have to pay a terrible price to achieve their goals. Already seeing hints of that in Westworld. I'm thinking the William, Dolores and Logan story line does not end well, for anyone, and the other story line is somehow based upon the repercussions of that.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

wtf
    I am guessing 20W-50 would be the proper lubrication fwiw.

I think I'd go with a good zero weight synthetic myself but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

wtf
    To give credit to the production staff, the robots did look like people, sort of

oh, and I think the robots were mostly fucking each other
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They actually did a great job on those robots, so lifelike.

Worst job of the future: Whoever has to clean the jizz outta the sexbots.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Pretty sure nanobots take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Pretty sure nanobots take care of that.
    Nah, that's definitely part of the job for those maintenance staff assholes who we've seen way too much of so far. We get it: the hookerbot is going to kill one of those guys. Stop trying to make me care. Those guys are boring.

Worst job of the future: Whoever has to clean the jizz outta the sexbots.
    Equivalent of a fry cook in year 2246

Too many subplots.
    Maybe they'll unite around the guy who is obviously not dead.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Nah, that's definitely part of the job for those maintenance staff assholes who we've seen way too much of so far. We get it: the hookerbot is going to kill one of those guys. Stop trying to make me care. Those guys are boring.
    Careful ....
    Now that Maeve has her upgrades, she can track you over the internet with her mega brain power.

Seeing that Arnold created his family in robot form (and Ford is his son), the show went into creepy mode. I wonder what other familial robots are out there? Ford was sure surprised to find out his little robot self had the ability to lie.

Most recent episode was awesome. Lots happening.

Was that the original gunslinger (Brynner) in the fuzzy background when Bernard visited the basement? Wonder if the 'incident' 30yrs ago is reference to the original production.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Was that the original gunslinger (Brynner) in the fuzzy background when Bernard visited the basement? Wonder if the 'incident' 30yrs ago is reference to the original production.
    First thing that came to my mind. Had to be a slight homage.

Me too - :"HEY, wait ....! Go back to that shot! YES It's Yul's hat!"

Oh shit. Good one tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Oh shit. Good one tonight
    Hell yeah. I had time on my hands, re-watched the previous six episodes and just finished 7. <possibly huge spoiler alert> following:

I'm not surprised about Bernard; the clues were a bit heavy-handed leading up to this but, all in all, job well done.

I'm still, at this point at least, thinking that we're not being fucked with totally anachronistically as far as the narrative goes. Unless there is a lot of voodoo, William is not the Man in Black; Dolores flashes back to the latter too much leading up to her loop breakout with William. I can't say for sure because part of my chronology was based upon the fact that there aren't hosts who are employees below ground... however, Nolan is clearly a narrative genius, so much so I think that he would have been bored re-hashing his Memento/Inception archetype.

I'm really enjoying the meta-theme coming in at this point though with Maeve - humans silly little lives played out in their silly ways with their silly concerns et. al. This feels like a new thread that could take hold, at least intellectually. Clearly, the whole premise plays into that, but now they're addressing it directly.

I was into it from the beginning, but this last episode has given it momentum.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Anthony Hopkins has perfected playing the genius psychopath. He is so good, I want to see more of him, less Dolores & William play cowboys.

Since Ford seems to know everything that is going on (at least regarding the actions of the board and anyone surrounding Bernard), does he know what's going with Maeve? Or does he think his robot repair techs (I convinced they are robots too) don't need to be watched over all the time?

Hopefully, next week we start to see the various storylines converge.

Didn't see last nights, but what if Hopkins is the robot ?
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

The basement that Bernard talks to Delores is the same as the one that was printing the new host. The multiple timelines theory is looking more and more likely. Also, just watched episode 2 again and there are different westworld logos when William gets to the park and when the storyline is getting proposed.

Maeve is like the Roy Batty character from Blade Runner - she's sentient and she's not going to take being a slave any longer. She wants to change her destiny/fuck with the Creator...

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    The basement that Bernard talks to Delores is the same as the one that was printing the new host. The multiple timelines theory is looking more and more likely. Also, just watched episode 2 again and there are different westworld logos when William gets to the park and when the storyline is getting proposed.
    True, but notice those talks have ended now that she's off her loop with William. I need to look at the logo stuff more. I still don't think William=Man in Black. Also, pretty sure Ford is just going to replace Theresa with that host being made.

edit: Also, I don't think it matters if the logo is different. I'm pretty firmly in the "no multiple timelines" camp at this point. Sizemore made a new logo for his little new (rejected) narrative, that's all.
    Last edited by Swine; 11-15-2016 at 05:34 AM.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I have split thoughts on the multiple time lines.

The one against is when Delores shot the rapist in the barn and ran off to William. Just before she shot him, she had a memory of the man in black. Unless the show is just completely fucking with the viewer, this scene indicates William and MIB are in the park together, but certainly not 30 years apart.

The one for multiple times revolve around the robot Bernard being the replica of Arnold. Ford needed a dependable sidekick after he killed Arnold so he created Bernard. Those scenes between "Bernard" and Delores were flashbacks of Arnold and Delores.