Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Licensing may be different by state in regards to on premise consumption and take home packaging.

Booze shakes too...don't forget those!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Kombucha is disgusting hippy swill. Like drinking pond water. I can't believe it's legal but raw milk isn't.

------

Glade - We have a shop here in town that sells beer, wine, cured meat and cheese. Maybe something like that would be a good idea?
    Yeah, I would personally love to combine this idea with a high end butcher shop focusing on fresh cuts, not charcuterie, but seeing as I don't have any butchering skills or friends in the trade, that idea is still viable but in a bit of a holding pattern.

RootSkier, I was a little low, but licensing for this sort of establishment would be under $500 per year for both state and city licenses. It would be slightly more expensive if I want to carry liquor too, but still under $1000/year.

then there's this to look forward to...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rob1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	189326

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yeah, I would personally love to combine this idea with a high end butcher shop focusing on fresh cuts, not charcuterie, but seeing as I don't have any butchering skills or friends in the trade, that idea is still viable but in a bit of a holding pattern.

RootSkier, I was a little low, but licensing for this sort of establishment would be under $500 per year for both state and city licenses. It would be slightly more expensive if I want to carry liquor too, but still under $1000/year.
    meat is not green

you wanna kill our planet, bro!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Kombucha is disgusting hippy swill. Like drinking pond water. I can't believe it's legal but raw milk isn't.

------

Glade - We have a shop here in town that sells beer, wine, cured meat and cheese. Maybe something like that would be a good idea?
    Raw milk is legal for sale in WA, have no idea about other states. You can buy it in Wenatchee.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The hippies in VT drink that boochy stuff. Sounds like a good idea if you need a colonoscopy prep.

Crafty beer is a fad that's peaking. Along with panini sandwiches.

You need to find the next fad.
    Cider is already the next fad. Gluten free beers never caught on, thank Gaia, so cider combines gluten freeness with taste accessible to anyone with a palate of a 4 yr old FTW.

If OP supplements revenues with Kratom sales he might make it.

Don't run one. Am a boozer.

- high end stuff for retail beer seems really winner take all. Good reputation you move product faster and cheaper, lesser reputation good product stays forever (too long). It's a virtuous cycle for the good, a vicious for the not so good. Good is mind market share - which can be interwebz cred, or just the right kind of non-discriminating, discriminating customers.
    - you need demographics- younger with disposable money to spend for what you are talking about. and a bunch of them. Older drunks are set in their ways
    - unless you are great you need to get people in the door, so engaging the community and getting people in the door for other things is key. convivial atmosphere for the groups you want. people who can make that happen - ask yourself if you are that guy, or if you can hire that person.
    - what's the status of bigger players in the booze market where you are? Some states are having large liquor retail corps (for restrictive states) or big pushes from grocerys (less restrictive) into the market that will really pressure you.
    - can you get the location you need to make it work?
    - do you need an actual business or is this a hobby?

It's such a regional thing you really need to study where you want to be, hard, very hard. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Alcoholic slushies-aka sloshies are all the rage around here.
    Delicious but so much sugar consumed

Probably not enough to make a shop of it tho
    Are you talking about frozen daiquiris? They have drive through shops in Louisiana for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Are you talking about frozen daiquiris? They have drive through shops in Louisiana for that stuff.
    yea basically frozen daquiris but they have all sorts of different flavors so they call them sloshies
    skid luxury

the grocery stores here carry so much good beer and have a huge variety. No need for a beer store. Actually, safeway here fills growlers. Some gas stations do too.

OP, just move to CA after we legalize teh weedz. I was reading the proposition the other day and it mentioned "Coffee Houses" like in Amsterdam.

I thought it would be very cool to have a "Coffee House" where people come in, have some coffee, buy some weed, get baked, order some food and hang out.

What am I missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    If your gonna move to greener pastures
    Might as well grow bro
    The federal illegality of it makes me hesitant about getting involved with the pot business yet, coupled with the fact that I've never grown before makes that a pretty daunting proposition.

The federal illegality of it makes me hesitant about getting involved with the pot business yet, coupled with the fact that I've never grown before makes that a pretty daunting proposition.
    Run a retail store. Pretty good margins, lots of room in market.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    If you can sell cigars, condoms and lottery tickets you'd have the four basic modern human necessities covered!
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

lots of room in market.
    Is this true still? I was in a good number of shops recently and none of them were particularly busy.

Also, what happens if in ten years this country swings hard toward anti-drug sentiment and the feds put the kibosh on this "legal" marijuana business? It still seems like grey market way to make a living, but I haven't spoken to anyone who is involved in the retail business beyond the budtenders I've encountered.

Get weed dispensing machines. No fall guy except the dumb machine
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Cider is already the next fad. Gluten free beers never caught on, thank Gaia, so cider combines gluten freeness with taste accessible to anyone with a palate of a 4 yr old FTW.

If OP supplements revenues with Kratom sales he might make it.
    While I agree that cider is a fad, there are some fantastic ciders out there that taste nothing like the alcoholic apple juice swill most people sell and drink. There's a place here that spent almost 20 years cultivating Old World cider apples from Spain, France and England before they ever sold a bottle. It's more like Prosecco, Champagne or Beer even.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    yak chip
    More exotic, I was thinking about cow chips- flatten or not....

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    OP, just move to CA after we legalize teh weedz. I was reading the proposition the other day and it mentioned "Coffee Houses" like in Amsterdam.

I thought it would be very cool to have a "Coffee House" where people come in, have some coffee, buy some weed, get baked, order some food and hang out.

What am I missing here?
    The "Coffee Shop" is probably the best idea.

No need for growing expertise. Just need a cool location and good food.

Stay out of cultivation. It is the most technical part of the industry.

I would focus on extractions. C02 is expensive. Solvent extraction can explode.

Returns are massive.
    Last edited by Beer Drinker; 10-05-2016 at 05:55 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Also, what happens if in ten years this country swings hard toward anti-drug sentiment and the feds put the kibosh on this "legal" marijuana business?
    You move to central america with a ton of money and retire.

^^^^^ I like the way you think
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I don't think there's quite as much money to be made with a single retail location as you're insinuating, but that idea is starting to grow on me. Retail would be easier than a coffee shop I think. Is the market saturated with shops in Oregon/Washington? What are the barriers to entry for opening one?

I don't know if there is such a thing as a "coffee shop" here in the Amsterdam sense. People just puff away on their vapes anywhere they want, it's ubiquitous.

Yeah, just a retail shop is what I'm interested in. In and out interactions, the coffeeshop deal is too complicated with indoor smoking laws and regulations on public consumption.

Yeah, just a retail shop is what I'm interested in. In and out interactions, the coffeeshop deal is too complicated with indoor smoking laws and regulations on public consumption.
    I'd do your homework on what states are soon to legalize and allow private sales. Move there and start stashing cash and getting a location and local laws figured out. Get ready to go through a big gnarly permitting process but it will be worth it. Washington's permit system is extremely restrictive and I think right now the quota for shops is met. But I'm not a baker, perhaps our resident Praxis RXolgist can shed more light on the situation.