Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF Silverton?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    North Side of Nason Ridge with a chair going somewhere between Rock Mountain and Mount Mastiff is about the only place that I have found that could support a Silverton type place that isn't wilderness or impossibly difficult to access in the winter. Not too steep (but steep enough), has been logged in the past so there is road infrastructure in place to several potential base areas, county road that is plowed within a few miles, reliable snowpack, better weather than Stevens, long potential vertical relief and already fairly open terrain.
    There's others along there, but some people would kill me if I wrote it down online.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Yeah the dumbest thing about the ski area opponents is that there's never any comparison to mining or timber impacts.

But I think the political business situation is that those industries are culturally integrated (it's OK to wreck the environment as long as people are suffering to do so; some side effect of puritanism?) and for the Sierra Club and Nature Conservancy, a ski area doesn't have as deep of pockets as the extraction industries. But when you add up all the decimation from timber and mining and compare that to ski area environmental impact, ski areas are a pittance.

Anyway, I have ideas and there's some just killer spots on private timber land around the cascades, but yeah, it's an enormous political battle.

This is why the Wallowa tram should be leveraged. I'll see if I can get a hold of exChairman Bill to fund us.
    I would happily give my heart and soul to bring a Silverton type place to Washington. Or at least a grassroots type ski area that isn't in a horrible rain shadow (ie someplace with a Mission/Loup Loup feel but with snow.) I think there is certainly room in the market for a ski area like this, particularly in the Highway 2 corridor. It's been my dream for at least 10 years.

There's others along there, but some people would kill me if I wrote it down online.
    I can think of several but yep particularly if you were going for a more grassroots good skiing feel and less total rad-gnar. Don't want to end up on Z-Bo's hit list.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    justs so ya knows i got ice to b right on season before
    and he made it all the way to the oc to hang with woodsy last
    im hopin for odgen this
    co is like another state
    and we would be tourists
    nttiawwi
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Hey guys sorry I''m late, I got to this thread as fast as I can! Real skier, checking in!

What's up with all these joeys in here, anyways? Summit County represent!!!!! My boy Summit is here, where is newschoolerz????

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    justs so ya knows i got ice to b right on season before
    and he made it all the way to the oc to hang with woodsy last
    im hopin for odgen this
    co is like another state
    and we would be tourists
    nttiawwi
    You gotta go rage with the meats bros Ogden way.
    Just get ice to hop in the sled and rage across.

Iterating some options from the website:

Silverton Mountain is offering a number of new ways to enjoy the mountain in 2016-17 that we hope all guests will enjoy. In addition to single-day and multi-day tickets that can be reserved by phone or online, Silverton Mountain skiers have several different season pass options. A limited number of Spring Unguided Season Passes are available for only $179 that include 6 free days at Monarch and Powderhorn, ½ price Heli skiing and $79 guided skiing on a standby basis. Many of our great events, including the Clauson Classic and Sisters’ Meeting in the Mountains, will be during the Spring unguided season as well.

The Solid Gold Pass offers 10 days of guided skiing in December or January, plus the unguided ski season pass perks and 2 extra days at Powderhorn for $499 during limited early pricing. This means you can ski guided for less than $50 a day (a day at Vail is $159), plus have all the unguided dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    That would be awesome if it weren't for the national park.
    The existing poma lift seems to meet the current demand.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Maybe I'm not core-rad-gnar-real enough to comprehend what I'd be missing by not going unguided, but having at least one professional who's trained in first aid, rescue, snow safety AND knows the mountain really well showing you around some potentially complex and difficult terrain sounds pretty good to me for $50. And $89 for a heli drop is ridiculously cheap.

I wish we had a place like this in Washington.
    You are also paying for their snow mitigation program which is arguably the most complex and intensive programs in the country. The San Juan snowpack can be as touchy as it gets and to be able to go out after 2+ feet of fresh snow and ski steep lines and do heli drops is pretty freaking awesome. If they need to cut back on the unguided days to keep their business profitable then I would fully support that instead of selfishly complaining how the new policies are stepping on my ability to get rad or whatever.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    That's big terrain.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I posted it for stoke...since the Brills were nice enough to give me a lift up to the gnar couloir (chute on the right) many moons ago.

If you do heli there, they have tons of terrain that you cannot see from the main basin such as:

Wait wait how much are heli runs !! 89$!

How are people fucking whining

Losers
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Maybe they are anticipating a shitty snow year, like what has been forecast.....and just trying to maintain profit....

can't blame them....they own it.

This thread is horrible and some of you guys are really assholes.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

As to Mt Howard.. I lived in this area in the 80's and there was constant talk of opening the tram for skiing. They even tried to organize a ski patrol, but people got injured attempting to bring a sled down the mountain. That was the last I heard about a ski area at Mt Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Wait wait how much are heli runs !! 89$!

How are people fucking whining

Losers
    Where do you see 89 dollar heli runs?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    In his dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    It's half price heli drops with a gold pass.

A limited number of Spring Unguided Season Passes are available for only $179 that include 6 free days at Monarch and Powderhorn, ½ price Heli skiing and $79 guided skiing on a standby basis. Many of our great events, including the Clauson Classic and Sisters’ Meeting in the Mountains, will be during the Spring unguided season as well.

Last year, single lap heli rides were $159, this year it's $179. You can still mock dd, but be sure your own math makes cents.

If my employment scene clears up, I'll be down there a bunch this February. If it doesn't clear up, I'll be down there all February.

i got money for like 10 heli drops boys!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Kinda booked @Alpental first week of Feb
    I'll try to be there if I'm still employed. Leaving for the OR/UT/SWCO/NM tour shortly thereafter.

does the stanby thing actually happen or do you just stand by. anyone ever done it.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    does the stanby thing actually happen or do you just stand by. anyone ever done it.
    I've done it. Sometimes one has to wait for an hour or so if it's really busy, but there's always a few people who drop out early and the standbys get their slot.

OKOKOK, I just dislike the definAtive because reality always has it's say first.

good to know. did not see a date to purchase by. may see how the season is going
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    good to know. did not see a date to purchase by. may see how the season is going
    Normally, the unguided season pass is limited, so I don't know how for long it's available. I don't know about the gold pass.