Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Small, reliable AWD hatches?

No subarus. A subaru killed my childhood dog, Lyla.

I want to buy a reliable, small, awd, preferrably a hatch or wagon so the dog can have a spot, non-SUV, preferably four door, that I can beat up. Unless its an Aztec or maybe a Juke, I care not an ounce what it looks like. Its job is to be dirty and not break. I don't care if its slower than the first coming of the Spaghetti Monster.

In this category, I've only found the discontinued Matrix, which are few and far between, the SX4, which is also discontinued and rarely seen, but oddly enough clicks the boxes and comes in a manual. Are there any domestic options that are reliable these days? Mazda's are front wheel, as are all the other little washing machines like the Yaris, Fit, Scion iM, etc. The hatch lexus CT and the volvo c don't do awd and I'm not sold on their reliability.

I'm willing to lose a few doors in the back if I have to. I'm willing to compromise on mpg. I don't care what it looks like.

What about the Honda Crosstour? Too big?

Suzuki?

(edit) color me duh, you alreadu mentioned the sx4. So what if it's used, you can buy a new engine for like $400 and virtually any shop that works on sub/toy/hon/ will wrench on it.

I wanna get one and put some blown up turboed monster engine in it, but I already have enough cars.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

So, what you're saying is that you want a Subaru.

Mitsubishi Lancer came in an AWD hatch with a turbo. Not sure if manual. Should be reasonably reliable.

That new smaller Honda crossover, what is it, the HRV? Looks pretty nice, at a nice price.

Same with the Mazda CX3.

New or used? Price range?

Re: Toyota Matrix -- the Pontiac Vibe was the same car, different styling, also available in AWD.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Mitsubishi Lancer came in an AWD hatch with a turbo. Not sure if manual. Should be reasonably reliable.
    Not sure about the Lancer specifically, but I think Mitsubishi is near the very bottom of Consumer Reports' reliability rankings.

edit: yeah, here's the list http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...best-vehicles/

Just buy a Subaru

Ford Focus RS

Overly picky, but the crosstour and frankly all cross overs or small SUVs arent really what I'm looking for. I want something small. Preferably used and price doesn't matter too much, but I figured if I was to get what I want, a small, used, likely japanese hatch, that it wasn't going to break the bank. I'll keep my s4 wagon for fun driving. This request is for pure utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Ford Focus RS
    amen.

Had an '08 Matrix as a beater work commuter (have a 6 hour round trip every other week or so) and it worked as intended. Slow, ugly, reliable, okay mpg, stuck to the road, and inexpensive. A colleague just bought a new hybrid Rav4 and it is pretty nice for what it is.

1992 Toyota Corolla awd sw is da bomb too.

Your neighbors may shudder and threaten to sue for property value loss when you park it in the street, but at some point we all have to decide whether we're in a beauty contest or not.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

In that vein, a Tercel wagon could work too

Honda Element AWD. Honda reliability. Lots of space. Easy to hose out dog dirt. Widely available. Some manuals out there. 4-6K should get you a decent one.

But their AWD sort of sucks. Get a subaru.

Since you have the S4 for when you absolutely NEED AWD, why not just buy a FWD car? Then you have way more options, save a bunch of money, and FWD with a decent set of snow tires will be fine 99% of the time.

Subarus don't kill dogs. Drivers kill dogs.

Golf R32. Have fun while you're at it.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Used Audi A3

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    That's funny.

Get rid of the dog.

1990 Civic Wagovan w/Realtime4WD

A lot of folks seem to really like the Mazda CX3. It comes in AWD and is supposed to be very fun to drive.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Since you have the S4 for when you absolutely NEED AWD, why not just buy a FWD car? Then you have way more options, save a bunch of money, and FWD with a decent set of snow tires will be fine 99% of the time.
    I've thought of foregoing the AWD for a simple reliable front wheel hatch. Anyone had an experience with the Mazda 3s or the Mazdaspeeds? For front wheel drive, they seem to be right in the wheel house otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    You are the Charleton Heston of subarus.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Golf R32. Have fun while you're at it.
    No more germans.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Used Audi A3
    No more germans.