Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Why does everyone hate the park and newscHOolers???

I live up on the back side of Heavenly, and must say that parts of Mott & Killbrew are significantly steeper than Tower 3 or Alta Chutes in Jackson. But other than that, Heavenly is really only good for quick laps before school.

However, when we have powder, it actually lasts a few days in bounds, because all the gapers stay out of the trees and the little steeps we have. Whereas at Jackson the powder is gone by noon inbounds.. But, the slope of most terrain at Heavenly is weak, and all my skis are big, so slow speed, low pitch deep powder really requires some effort on big skis.. Basically you just straight line Old Growth style trees, and if you turn, you sink.

Heavenly is not a big mountain resort.. But living at heavenly ain't so bad, only 45 mins to kirkwood, 1 hour to squaw, 2 hours to mammoth, and 6.5 hours to SLC

much steeper than tower 3

hemlock is steep as fuck, as is i think its called rock chute
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Heavenly is not a big mountain resort.
    It may not be "big mountain" skiing outside of a few zones but it's certainly big. Pretty sure it's almost 5k acres, twice the size of most resorts.

I think that's total land. A lot of it isn't skiable unless you're a pro like us mags. Absolutely none of the inbounds runs are linked together in a big mtn fashion, it's all traversing and hard to find sustained pitch over 1500ft vertical.

In an ice age, when you could ski down to Gardnerville most of the year, it would be epic.

It's still fun. I have no complaints putting the majority of my days here, and it ain't so bad when you don't have to drive..
    Last edited by aevergreene; 09-27-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    It's funny because I ski around with my beats pill at full volume a lot and people in the lift lines at vail get really upset
    When someone in the lift line is blasting shitty music.... there really is only one way to defeat it, create your own music.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Because I'm old school.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1475017746.827843.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  74.6 KB

Keepin it real in Park Citi biznotch

This reminds me, the Tom Wallisch tall tee stretch thread is still one of the best to ever appear on TGR...

For a cool $100, this could be yours from NS - XXXXL Jibberish:Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1475022097.635028.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  85.3 KB

Where can I get those steezy balaclavas ?

I bet that's like a cut up black t-shirt
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1475017746.827843.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  74.6 KB

Keepin it real in Park Citi biznotch
    Is that dude on the right rocking a chindo under that get-up? NTTAWWT

So my only question is i'm cool with the whole hiphop thing but if that's what park kids are trying to go for, why are they stuck in the 90's? Ol Dirty's been dead for almost 13 years, Redman's creeping up on 50 and even YG wears T-shirts in size M these days.

I'm pretty sure most of these kids weren't even alive when rappers were wearing huge T's and jeans with the crotch around the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    So my only question is i'm cool with the whole hiphop thing but if that's what park kids are trying to go for, why are they stuck in the 90's? Ol Dirty's been dead for almost 13 years, Redman's creeping up on 50 and even YG wears T-shirts in size M these days.

I'm pretty sure most of these kids weren't even alive when rappers were wearing huge T's and jeans with the crotch around the knees.
    Haha agree. My high school attire in the late 80s/early 90s included baggy cross colors jeans and hats, and carhartt.

"Skiing" park isn't really skiing. It's doing ballerina tricks... except with skis on.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    "Skiing" park isn't really skiing. It's doing ballerina tricks... except with skis on.
    It isn't my thing but some of those kids do fuckin rip

because this place is full of old cranky people who want those damned skittle kids to get off their lawns
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

They don't like kids who grew up far away from ghettos acting like that is where they are from.

They don't agree that Tom Wallisch is the best skier in the world, or that park skiing and urban are the only things that matter. Having said that most people on this site could care less if some 14 year old kid feels that way.

I don't think most people on this site care all that much about this issue.

I don't think it has to do with hate, but rather a lack of understanding of the priorities of these kids. I grew up in the east and skied bumps and glades. I dreamed about Squaw Valley, Chamonix and Alaska and skiing steeps. We did not have big terrain, just bumps really, but we wanted to ski the steeps. It seems like lots of these park kids don't care about big, steep terrain. In surfing the kids from Florida dream about Hawaii, and no matter how good you are in small waves there is a limit to how much your skills will be respected if you can't rip at Pipeline or Honolua Bay when it is maxing. No matter how hard you rip the park, if you don't ski the steeps your skills won't really be respected at a place like Squaw or Jackson. Surfers aspire to Hawaii, I think it is strange that many of today's park kids don't aspire to ski steep terrain. I could really care less if they want to or not, it is just strange to me.

Having said all of that, most older locals are more worried about skiing great terrain and making enough money to stay reasonably comfortable than they are about park kids. I think most Jackson locals could care less if a kid wants to stay in the park. It means fewer people chasing pow which is good for them.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    It isn't my thing but some of those kids do fuckin rip
    The average ones amaze me. It's awesome, who even saw this coming, back 20 or so years ago? It's cool as fuck. I could care less what they wear.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

What is a newschooler? Is it an age thing? A park-only type thing?

I think anyone who is skiing any sort of rockered, tapered, pow ski, is taking part in the newschoolershipism. Even you oldie (but goodie) mags.

On3p, (arguably) the best company out there, is a newschool company. They are making some of the best skis in the game right now. Im glad to be on newschool skis FWIW

Im young, ski differently than my parents generation, jump and jib off everything, even on so called directional skis. I dont ski park often though, so am I a newschooler?

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    What is a newschooler? Is it an age thing? A park-only type thing?

I think anyone who is skiing any sort of rockered, tapered, pow ski, is taking part in the newschoolershipism. Even you oldie (but goodie) mags.

On3p, (arguably) the best company out there, is a newschool company. They are making some of the best skis in the game right now. Im glad to be on newschool skis FWIW

Im young, ski differently than my parents generation, jump and jib off everything, even on so called directional skis. I dont ski park often though, so am I a newschooler?
    newschoolers.com

What about it? A lot of people on here are also on there. Is everyone on there a newschooler? Is everyone on here a Teton Gravity researcher? Am i a newschool gravity researcher?

because hating is cool. #embracethehateamen

Rumor has it that blind big line skier Clayton Bigsby was actually a park rat

it's like the man bun. We're jealous that somebody can be considered to look "cool" when they are trying so hard to look stupid (in our opinion).