Page 104 of 184 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 4591
    20"+ above 9k currently

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Now somebody please post some photos of the property with the statues on Ridge Road, near Jackson. I miss driving by that place. Did he ever revert to pirates? I swear that at some point in 2008 or 2009 he had a couple pirates in addition to the animal statues.
    Sadly, I don't think I've seen any pirates there. Fun additions in recent years have included:
    * Carnival rides
    * Water tanker trucks (several, full size, what looks to be like actual water taker trucks)
    * Additional big game animal statues

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Help a jong out. Dropping the wife off at Reno airport Tuesday morning. Should I try a run up to Squaw or wait until Wednesday or Thursday?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    20"+ above 9k currently
    Wow, that stuff must be super wet and heavy. It was raining up to just below Echo Pass Summit at 630 PM last night, barely snaining over the summit.

Got our timing just right in the 7-11 yesterday, avoided slurpees and were served powdered cake doughnuts instead. Good enough for 2-3 laps anyway. We ran into 2, maybe 3 other groups out but everyone worked their own parts of the mountain. Was actually surprisingly chill for a holiday weekend. Mild chain control backup in the early evening, but compared to the other crowds and 50-egress backups caused by S@T this season, it was surprisingly easy getting out of there.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

267 backed up all the way through Eastern traffic circle in Kings Beach.

EDIT: and Chevron is out of gas. Hopefully y'all don't care because you're out skiing :-)
    Last edited by lepistoir; 02-20-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Help a jong out. Dropping the wife off at Reno airport Tuesday morning. Should I try a run up to Squaw or wait until Wednesday or Thursday?
    Forecast is for winds to fade. Worth a shot. Getting back to South Lake will be a long haul.

As Schralph noted, we go our timing just right yesterday and caught really fun conditions up high next to the 11s. 3 laps in the N-facing trees, and then bonus face. The lower 1/2 of bonus face was getting very gloppy on the way out, and it was snaining at my car at ~4PM. All in all, fun day with little to no traffic on the way home.

Also, Sidellis after was great. New spot for me -> I will definitely be returning.

Mike enjoying some early morning powder.

Solid in the trees up high. Photo: Schralph

Schralph acting like he always skis, good form on you buddy! (Now you can toss that brand new split you got!).

Its been a very minimal season for me with two twins at home, but I am 2/2 in good conditions touring this year (only 3rd day overall, sadly).

Schralph.

Mike is in there somewhere.

UCL - snow was still fast and fun down lower on the N-facing stuff above 7K.

I broke a different trail with Mike up to an untouched zone... turned to be a great call.

Great pics UCL. That last one of the widely spaced trees looks like the most fun ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Snuck out over Carson pass before they closed it at 930. Had to make the call before KW announced opening 6 today. Another day of private lift served heli skiing, though super bummed to miss it today. Damn Tuesday meetings.

Please make the TRs from today sound shitty

Quote Originally Posted by P-ville Madman View Post
    Fuck ya Kirkwood was a blast! No crowds and great snow!
    After several weeks of insane crowds, Blackout days are quite welcome! Awesome sleeper day

from EDSO's facebook page...

**SPECIAL ATTENTION TAHOE RESIDENTS**
    Due to heavy holiday traffic and less than ideal road conditions, the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office is asking local South Lake Tahoe residents to avoid traveling on the roadways for a few hours to help EDSO, CHP, CalTrans, and DOT mitigate gridlock traffic conditions. Hwy 50 is currently closed for avalanche control and should be open shortly. The traffic backup is extensive.
    Last edited by P-ville Madman; 02-20-2017 at 03:58 PM.

^ "don't bother even thinking about trying to get to work on time, just give up now."

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Lencon View Post
    http://redbullbracketreel.com/snow-2017

Hey if you fellow Tahoe shredders could give the 'UNR Surf Club' a vote that would be awesome. The majority of the video was filmed at Alpine, with a little bit of Squaw in there as well. You can vote daily.

Also, Alpine has been going off lately. Snow has gotten a little heavy from time to time, but I cant really complain. Such fun times.
    I voted. Nice edit, think I've climbed with some of you guys at Basecamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    I voted. Nice edit, think I've climbed with some of you guys at Basecamp?
    Possibly, most of us in that edit do some climbing. I have been to Basecamp a few times before as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencon View Post
    Possibly, most of us in that edit do some climbing. I have been to Basecamp a few times before as well.
    Nice man. We should ride sometime, I'm currently a student too

Btw you guys fuckin suck at skiing

Nice photos UCL. Looks fun.

The 11 zone was popular yesterday, fun snow over there for sure

Was gonna head to Kirkwood but 88 closed, then I was heading to Luther but every fucking road was gridlocked that I needed to get over that way, so I ended up at the Heave at the crack of noon and had 3 amazing runs in a zone no one else bothered to go to today, each one got deeper by the time I dropped the last time at 4:15 it was really fucking good, a Big kauna Burger and some Tricerahops at McDuff's delayed the drive home so there was zero traffic back.

Don't be Jelly of my phone!

Went out exploring the last couple days. Not exactly Tahoe, but in a state sharing a name with half of "Sierra Nevada".

Route finding was occasionally hard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7271.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	730.0 KB 
ID:	200597

Name:	CropTop.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	200598

Big Faces on the hill

Name:	IMG_4264.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	200599

Beautiful Views near the summit. Lots more good skiing to be had out there!

Name:	IMG_4265.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	977.2 KB 
ID:	200600

The runout was bush hell, but with snow almost all the way to the car.

Name:	IMG_4274.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	200601

Wow TahoeBC, was that a star tac? ;-) But seriously, I do kinda miss flip phones sometimes.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Maybe this belongs in the gaper topic, but anyway, cops are out tonight dealing with scores of idiots who are being directed up into Tahoe-Donner (worse yet, via the Donner Trail sneak route that bypasses part of Northwoods) by some GPS app, not sure which, thinking that's the way to 80-west. Which wouldn't have otherwise been a big deal, but the roads are rather challenging around now.
    Last edited by bobz; 02-20-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Wow TahoeBC, was that a star tac? ;-) But seriously, I do kinda miss flip phones sometimes.
    5 days between charges and fits snugly packed away in my pocket are definite pluses, but I'll probably break down and get a smartie before long, keep trying to swipe right but it's not working!

^^^ but texting sucks big time with flip-phone.
    And no web, unless you have coke-bottle glasses to view.
    A *slightly smart* flip would be hella cool
    Bobz^^
    We drove up to Alpine not long ago. Google was saying get on Donner to avoid delays...
    Opposite direction from us on 89 (to 80 from Squaw) was solid, ummoving for quite a ways.
    Problem was peeps way up by 80 traffic lights blocking intersection trying to turn left, from Mall towards on-ramp.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I will give you an older iPhone if you'll use it.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    People of California,

we have heard that America in general is now great again and California has a little bit of snow, so a non-internet skier friend, freak and I have decided to come check things out for two weeks around easter. We are flying into and out of SF, will be renting a car and have no other specific plans as of yet. Former california maggot/ austrian transplant Franz Klammer kindly gifted us with a guide book on backcountry skiing in the Eastern Sierra and has spoken very highly of the potential for radness in that area. We would appreciate any other recommendations for general resources on conditions/must skis etc that we can browse during the trip planning phase (guide books, websites, ...?). We are not super interested in resort skiing, would potentially be into multi day tours, and are on a budget. How crowded do things get at easter? any particular places that should be avoided? Of course we would be stoked to ski/ have a beer with some locals too!

We get a lot of moderately silly and very vague questions in the snow fo r the euros thread, so i figure I can ask a few here
    With one car, you're generally limited to loops and up and back. For mid-April, leave your plans flexible. Friends and I have been skunked that time of year due to storms on several occasions. I'd recommend something where you get into the Sierra, like touring over a high pass or two. That is how you typically get the place to yourself. the guidebooks just give a taste of what's in the various zones. It's always good to bring climbing shoes for plan b (or d or e) - bouldering.

Don't go to the places where people are posting about on the web with current conditions. In April, you are likely to run into others if you head into those zones
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 02-21-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Maybe this belongs in the gaper topic, but anyway, cops are out tonight dealing with scores of idiots who are being directed up into Tahoe-Donner (worse yet, via the Donner Trail sneak route that bypasses part of Northwoods) by some GPS app, not sure which, thinking that's the way to 80-west. Which wouldn't have otherwise been a big deal, but the roads are rather challenging around now.
    I read they had to close Alder Creek today to prevent tourists from trying to go "around" TD... which is pretty much the dumbest thing ever since going down Northwoods to get back to DPR is typically a major shit show. I'm a fan of Waze and other apps but people have gotta stop following every stupid side route.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.