Page 128 of 184 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 4591
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    666, I'm feeling the same way about KW, just about done with them after 17 years. Has there been any more talk of them staying open later? April 16 is bullshit, and the fact that buying a squaw pass now gets you April 1--July 4th just can't be ignored. 3 months of spring skiing + next season may almost be enough to put up with the 80 junkshow
    Nothing official.

I've had a conversation with Patrol, who said they were making plans to open weeks s after the 16th, but he did not know the resorts criteria. He did confirm that the Patrol has made a plan in case they stay open. It would only be the frontside.

Backside is open until the 16th.

I've also been in conversation with someone in marketing, who got a hold of me because I complain a lot on FB. Finally got a response from someone. She said that there is a chance, but did not want to get anyone's hopes up.

I'm putting odds at 36.8% of the following two weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    2011 it was Shirley via the Tram if I recall correctly. Nothing else. A nice way to spend the 4th (although I prefer to stay home and watch the madness on Donner Lake from our deck) but not skiing..
    2011 they also had Sibo opened the weekend of the 4th with hiking to Palisades and Headwall (via Palisades). Patrol basically let you ski anything you were willing to work for, e.g. we skied Headwall, then hiked back up to C2 and over to Chute 75. Don't quite recall what other lifts were spinning that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    2011 it was Shirley via the Tram if I recall correctly. Nothing else.
    The funi was open (I was working for the funi at the time) which was good because there were big lines in the morning and at the end of the day to get down. IIRC there something like 5k people skiing. Sibo was definitely open, Gold Coast must have been if the funi was, and for some reason I remember granite being open, but I could be wrong on that. It was a damn good time, I skied all three days in the morning. A patroller on the funi yesterday said that Andy wanted to keep open through the 4th. I would still guess just weekends after a point though.

I remember a Wonderful 4th of July afternoon on ABC. After the crowd had retreated to the sun deck party the lines disappeared and the creamed corn was deep. The Axioms were splashing the slush into face shots.

If I recall, Squaw was running too...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Is that new?
    I thought the AM/SV shuttle only picked up/dropped off at the base area stop?
    TTBOMK, it's been true since the shuttle started. I believe that lot is where the shuttles live.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    the main reason for Squaw is to have terrain dad loves to ski, infrastructure that is stroller friendly so the parent not skiing can meet up for lunch or at the Chamois at the end of the day....without having to get into the car. Yes, I know this is exactly why Squaw wants more development to cater this scenario but I digress. It that fine line of keeping everyone in the family stoked...from Dad to Mom, ha.
    Yep. And when those are the criteria, your choices are basically Squaw and... Northstar?
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    2011 they also had Sibo opened the weekend of the 4th with hiking to Palisades and Headwall (via Palisades). Patrol basically let you ski anything you were willing to work for, e.g. we skied Headwall, then hiked back up to C2 and over to Chute 75. Don't quite recall what other lifts were spinning that weekend.
    Thanks for the correction. Maybe it's another year/date I was thinking of. I remember two years ago when we finally had a decent storm in April people were taking RT all the way to KT.

old goat, I think you were thinking of Memorial Day 2010, the year prior, that year Squaw only had Shirley Lake. Though they did let people hike up to the Palisades and farther, as I recall jahroy saying he went all the way out to West Face.

We had a mini-Mag meet up at Donner Ski Ranch on 5/29/2010 that I recall being quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Nothing official.

I've had a conversation with Patrol, who said they were making plans to open weeks s after the 16th, but he did not know the resorts criteria. He did confirm that the Patrol has made a plan in case they stay open. It would only be the frontside.

Backside is open until the 16th.

I've also been in conversation with someone in marketing, who got a hold of me because I complain a lot on FB. Finally got a response from someone. She said that there is a chance, but did not want to get anyone's hopes up.

I'm putting odds at 36.8% of the following two weekends.
    Well, she did reach her goal (thanks to y'all), and i did promise.

And she says thanks
    Name:  hidden-peak-014.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  227.5 KB

now if Kirkwood matched the maggot's donation of roughly $150 when they announce their later closing dates, what a marketing coup that would be for them...
    Last edited by powdork; 03-18-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    TTBOMK, it's been true since the shuttle started. I believe that lot is where the shuttles live...
    Ah. Turns out there is more than one shuttle (it seems). AM/SV "express".
    And an Alpine Meadows one that goes up & down AM rd (I assume).
    *He can radio a tart connection for you. Boat inspection/employee lot*?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Off topic here, but what's the consensus on sierra? Quality small scale resort with good mix of terrain? Too small to justify a season pass?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.brule View Post
    Off topic here, but what's the consensus on sierra? Quality small scale resort with good mix of terrain? Too small to justify a season pass?
    I went there last month for the first time i many years. "Quality small scale resort but too small to justify a season pass" pretty much sums it up IMO. It would be great if they had a combo deal with another resort like they did in the past.

TahoeJ, epic pass or squaw/alp? Tough call this upcoming season

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I went there last month for the first time i many years. "Quality small scale resort but too small to justify a season pass" pretty much sums it up IMO. It would be great if they had a combo deal with another resort like they did in the past.
    Problem is there is noone for them to do it with at least where I see it makes sense. One of their prime draws is their storm day skiing. That means to take advantage of that it would have to be a relationship with Heavenly or Kirkwood (getting from north to south on a storm day doesn't work out too well) and that ain't gonna happen.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.brule View Post
    You have to like tree skiing. For us, there is something *special* about SaT.
    Maybe its just the sweet potato fries?
    We always have a good time there.
    Usually their passes are amongst the cheapest.
    We think it is worth it.
    We have AM/SV pass & Sierra pass this season.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Squaw/Alpine are where you want to be. Too bad it turned into a such a cluster.
    I think they should charge $2000 for a pass and provide the service of a world class resort, which it is.

Depending on where you live,Sugar Bowl or Rose aren't bad options?

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that. I'm pretty much up in the air between Sierra, Sugar bowl and Squalpine. Likely have both kids on the mountain next year, so I'll probably be skiing without poles more than with them.
    I've been skiing sugarbowl with littles since 2008. The drought messed up some of their ops of the kids stuff. This year, they decided to basically not run most of the Judah area on weekdays. If you weekday day-ski with really little kids, that's a pretty big bummer. The magic carpet and white pine chair are great with the littles. The Nob hill chair can be pretty tricky with early learners compared to that area. Pre-drought, this was not the case; they consistently ran white pine lift and often both white pine and the magic carpet.

On weekdays when not skiing with kids, it's also been a bummer for them not to open the Judah side. Plenty of good new snow off the flanks of my Judah has gone to waste....
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 03-19-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    You have to like tree skiing. For us, there is something *special* about SaT.
    Maybe its just the sweet potato fries?
    We always have a good time there.
    Usually their passes are amongst the cheapest.
    We think it is worth it.
    We have AM/SV pass & Sierra pass this season.
    Oh don't get me wrong I really liked the place and the tree skiing was fantastic. I just wouldn't want to have only that for an entire season. And yes, the passes are super cheap even by today's standards.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The terrain off of 6 at Kirkwood was skiing great today, and nobody was there. The East Bowl of Stevens was also extremely fun corn; just sticky down near the road.

So it's freezing there overnight? According to snotel, it hasn't gotten below 39 in a few days.

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportG...ue,TOBS::value

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ...white pine chair...
    Word.
    Had my first evah snowboard lesson, & first evah ski lesson off that lift.
    [Learned as an old fart]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    So it's freezing there overnight? According to snotel, it hasn't gotten below 39 in a few days.

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportG...ue,TOBS::value
    It's not just air temp that matters. If the air temp is reasonably close to freezing the snow surface will freeze due to heat loss by radiation into the clear night sky (assuming clear sky) and by conduction to the colder snow deeper in the snow pack. If there's wind it will also lose heat in the process of evaporation. (If it's calm the air just above the snow will be saturated so the snow/water won't evaporate; the wind carries away the saturated air and allows evaporation. Change of phase requires a lot of heat.)

it's been mostly clear overnight in the KW valley. close to corn during the day, but it got slushy in the most sunny of spots.

carson pass backcountry is great. south aspects ready to go by 11am and north/west aspects holding out until about 2pm

Thanks for the beta. Went up emerald bay chutes Sunday and found near-corn snow around 10:45 at the top and boot deep slush half way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Thanks for the beta. Went up emerald bay chutes Sunday and found near-corn snow around 10:45 at the top and boot deep slush half way down.
    How was the bottom section coverage-wise by the waterfall? Mind sharing any beta pics?

Sorry, no pics. If you're referring to the choke near the Eagle Falls parking lot, its covered but going fast.