Page 82 of 184 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 4591
    I can't remember whether I (or anyone else) posted this in this or a separate thread, but here's an excellent article on migrant communities in ski towns. It focuses on Mammoth, but it could easily apply to Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    This thread is such a bummer now. Is this really what you guys think about all day? How Squaw is screwing you over? If the management is THAT bad, why even go? Why support them?

Like gimpy said, buy a fucking touring set up and quit yer bitchin'.

I demand more stoke.
    If you thought going to one of the resorts this weekend was a good idea you need to ask yourself -- "What side of the fence do I think I am on?" -- (Unless you are employed or have kids in a program #JanuBURIED was a dead give a away to stay away, oh not to mention the new fresh snow, plus the nice forecasted weather)

I put the hips in motion and hiked a nice shady peak on Saturday. It DELIVERED !
    Name:  MTNS.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  87.7 KB

On Sunday I skipped the masses again (Kind Of) by waiting for late day face laps. Da' Bumps Be Bangin.

Oh and the resort Overlords treated me with a Cookie and Cocoa

Name:  Cookie.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  70.5 KBName:  Crap View.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  51.7 KB
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Reading this thread, I departed the Y Starbucks by 7:30am and headed to Kirkwood with my daughter. My tip would be to park at Timber Creek since there as massive snowbank hiding the entrance. The pay lot near Chair 6 gets deeper every year, so if you want free parking near Chair 6, you best leave early.

Skiing wise...the East Wind definitely tore through the area leaving any fresh snow pretty scoured...hell, I was even finding the ice layer from the early season rain storms on the upper slopes. Areas like Sisters Chute from the top was a mess...wind blown ripples into a 5 foot crown down to that ice layer. Everything below was pretty good...albeit getting pretty moguled. I just stayed on 6 & 10 enjoying the windbuff under chair 10, waterfall ridge, Oops, The Funnel. Sadly the amount of snow has taken away some of the fun lines...Ski School chute is gone, Lightning is barely visible, Chamoix is basically a groomer and The Fingers are barely there.

Due to time, I didn't bother making a backside lap or venture into sidecountry. From hwy88, West Shore looked caked.

Quote Originally Posted by gageyk View Post
    Maybe don't go during these obviously congested times?
    You mean every single Friday - Sunday from December through March? That's kind of the go-to arrogant answer of late around these parts. Some of us are lucky enough to have flexible schedules that allow us to avoid the weekends, but most people simply don't have that luxury.

The pissing and moaning about the pissing and moaning is tempting me to start a pissing and moaning reply. But I can't. I bought a fukkin epic pass after over thirty five years of skiing Squaw ( It's simply how I exercised my protest of KSLs plans for the valley) and I haven't had ANY of the pissing and moaning issues mentioned here. Squaw just ain't that essential to my skiing when I have three other resorts to choose from through the winter and Mammoth after all the Tahoe cheapass resorts close due to maximizing profits above and beyond the call of duty.

Shit Splat.
    We were looking forward to skiing Alpine with you.
    At least we can drive to Mammy now.

Also...with fresh snow & limited lifts...midweek days (AM/SV) are *often* crowded too, it turns out.
    We tend to show up late though.

We miss skiing KW.
    It's been a while since we saw big snows there.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    The pissing and moaning about the pissing and moaning is tempting me to start a pissing and moaning reply. But I can't. I bought a fukkin epic pass after over thirty five years of skiing Squaw ( It's simply how I exercised my protest of KSLs plans for the valley) and I haven't had ANY of the pissing and moaning issues mentioned here. Squaw just ain't that essential to my skiing when I have three other resorts to choose from through the winter and Mammoth after all the Tahoe cheapass resorts close due to maximizing profits above and beyond the call of duty.
    So Meta.......

Squaw's on fire today...

Drove up to Far East: closed.

Walked over to KT: closed.

Now I'm sitting on a stationary Squaw One waiting to move...
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You mean every single Friday - Sunday from December through March? That's kind of the go-to arrogant answer of late around these parts. Some of us are lucky enough to have flexible schedules that allow us to avoid the weekends, but most people simply don't have that luxury.
    I skied 4 hours on SUNDAY at Squaw. I did not wait in traffic. It took 5 minutes longer than normal to get there due to only 2 lanes being open at the bug station. I had a great time as the slopes were empty.

I thanked every ski patroller I saw for doing "what they do"

I skied Friday and Saturday as well, though not at a KSL resort. It was a great weekend.

The poster that stated that KSL probably wants to show the benefit of more lodging therefore less commuters is on to something, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Squaw wasn't that different in the low-snow years. Once the mountain run burned out in late March/early April, there was pretty limited skiing, only accessible (up and down) by the Funitel/Tram (and sometimes Far East), and things usually shut down for good by the last week in April.

Of course, Squaw did operate through the end of May last year. I can't remember how much was open for the last couple weeks, but I do remember a lot of spring skiing on Chute 75.
    We skied Squaw April 8th (I think). Downloading, or a good 200 yard walk at the bottom. Big Blue, Siberia, Shirley Lake, Granite and a few others were turning. My 5 year old was stoked (and very upset that KW closed with 10 plus foot base). He loved riding the Tram and Funi.

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    Squaw's on fire today...

Drove up to Far East: closed.

Walked over to KT: closed.

Now I'm sitting on a stationary Squaw One waiting to move...
    I heard they want to give the snow a bit of a rest. After the weekend...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by gageyk View Post
    The poster that stated that KSL probably wants to show the benefit of more lodging therefore less commuters is on to something, unfortunately.
    I don't get this. It's not like Squaw made the parking lots smaller (they were trucking out snow in a 24/7 operation over the weekend to clear an overflow lot down by the fire station). The parking lots themselves had more parking staff on hand than I've ever seen (and you almost had to show proof of purchase to get past the security guard to access the underground lots by the locker room). And they've set aside parking for carpooling, and offered the Chariot service for in-valley transportation over the holidays (poorly publicized and almost unused, sadly).

They may use this in further argument with Placer County or in response to the lawsuits, but I'm not sure how, other than jacking up pass prices and limiting day-of ticket sales, KSL could have done anything prospectively to keep the traffic away. People got excited to ski a lot of recent snow, and we had the first bluebird weekend in a while. Things will calm down in February and March, like they always do.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Sadly the amount of snow has taken away some of the fun lines...Ski School chute is gone, Lightning is barely visible, Chamoix is basically a groomer and The Fingers are barely there.
    I had a lot of fun last Saturday, but this was my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    KSL has to be fucking up the traffic control on purpose to support their claim that more condos will reduce traffic. Mere negligence cannot possibly mess it up that badly, could it?
    That would require forethought and planning, I doubt KSL is capable of that, well unless it involves condos.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I doubt KSL gives a fuck what any of us think. Now, the out of town tourists who were bitching on their Facebook page this weekend after spending X-dollars and flying across the country to get there and being turned away? That surely catches their attention. I feel genuinely horrible for those people - can you imagine?
    Whoa, I thought there was no bitching allowed on KSL's facebook page, only stoke. They probably just blocked those people who bitched about no parking and moved on.

Pass prices need to go up at some point to lower the crowds, if even just a little.

Name:  IMG_0487.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  121.8 KB, Watson Skate ski on Thursday, decent ski lines as well (not mine)

Name:  IMG_0494.JPG
Views: 895
Size:  35.4 KB, East Shore, new to me, nice option as I work Incline, gotta get over the Washoe Side of the ridge after the refresh, pics from that area look great

Name:  IMG_0497 (2).JPG
Views: 873
Size:  180.2 KB, made a few turns into this one but found budding windboard so left it and found mellow pow

Name:  IMG_0501.JPG
Views: 912
Size:  156.8 KB

By mid day on Sunday on the west shore the trees were shedding big snow bombs enough to hurry up when I was under large trees
    Last edited by Jack Burton; 01-30-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: learn to post ;)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Photos taken at Mount Rose Summit on Saturday. This is about 30 minutes out of Reno. There is usually a building behind the van.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0128171514a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	846.4 KB 
ID:	198726

Cheap and minty 3L soft-shell gore-tex pants anyone? Like new condition. Sz. Small but run large, like most mediums. $80 to a Tahoe mag.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Reading this thread, I departed the Y Starbucks by 7:30am and headed to Kirkwood with my daughter. My tip would be to park at Timber Creek since there as massive snowbank hiding the entrance. The pay lot near Chair 6 gets deeper every year, so if you want free parking near Chair 6, you best leave early.

Skiing wise...the East Wind definitely tore through the area leaving any fresh snow pretty scoured...hell, I was even finding the ice layer from the early season rain storms on the upper slopes. Areas like Sisters Chute from the top was a mess...wind blown ripples into a 5 foot crown down to that ice layer. Everything below was pretty good...albeit getting pretty moguled. I just stayed on 6 & 10 enjoying the windbuff under chair 10, waterfall ridge, Oops, The Funnel. Sadly the amount of snow has taken away some of the fun lines...Ski School chute is gone, Lightning is barely visible, Chamoix is basically a groomer and The Fingers are barely there.

Due to time, I didn't bother making a backside lap or venture into sidecountry. From hwy88, West Shore looked caked.
    Sounds awesome! Do you work for Kirkwood? ;-)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

do tell gnarbro
    still ice in the choke?

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Cheap and minty 3L soft-shell gore-tex pants anyone? Like new condition. Sz. Small but run large, like most mediums. $80 to a Tahoe mag.

lmao, I have the same ugly ass jacket in a M I've never been able to get rid of. It's still new so give me an offer!!!

Stoke ain't no joke! The wind buff was ripping in spots, and in other places we found nice light powpow still lingering. At 7.5K uphill it was my biggest day so far this year. Well worth it. Zone has been seeing a bit of action lately, but it was nice to have it (mostly) to ourselves -especially after the clusterfuck that has been all the usual spots like the Mt Rose Area.

Name:	IMG_4218.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	943.7 KB 
ID:	198754

Name:	IMG_4215.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	198755

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	996.3 KB 
ID:	198756

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    lmao, I have the same ugly ass jacket in a M I've never been able to get rid of. It's still new so give me an offer!!!
    Ugly is in the eye of the beholder! haha... I'm selling them 'cus they are too big for me... I dig the party stripes! People of course are too concerned with keeping their steez level above their skiing level so I assumed they would be hard to dump. 3L gore-tex pants basically new for $80 is a steal, if your wife doesn't have your wardrobe by the balls.

So, how much for the jacket then? Someone wants to be dipped in pinstripe gore-tex head to toe right???

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    In the meantime--since you want separate threads for stoke and for complaining--why don't you start one or the other. And maybe a third thread for complaining about the complaining.
    Here ya go! A two-for-one!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...25#post4924525

Look, I'm not trying to start (interwebz) shit, but your point(s) have been made. Many times. I thought we were all just here to share some stoke, beta, and enjoy the snow we receive.

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	198757

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Just found out that Ivan closed Fasta Pasta for medical reasons? I hope he's alright.
    I just noticed that a few weeks ago. Hope he's alright.

Interesting snow hazard to contend with right now - crevasses caused by glide cracks at rollovers in alpine terrain.

There was a pretty big and obvious-from-the-side on the southeast ridge of Pyramid ... They are not quite so obvious from above. A friend of mine fell into one somewhere else. He has GoBro footage which he may upload to SAC. I guess that's what happens when you have a massive 4' dump followed by high pressure and warming!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell