Page 112 of 184 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4591
    Saturday Fun

Pow Town and Mushroom Treeville. Started from the Cougar. Went looking for Aarin Yu's line and Private Residence

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170225_130320.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	993.9 KB 
ID:	201059

Name:	20170225_142539.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	201060

Name:	aairns line.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	201061
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    Yes I understand the additional liability, the possible need for out of bounds rescue, etc...and all the other factors that go into that. Jackson and other resorts do it and survive, no reason Squaw can't. It follows with the long established pattern of bad business decisions. Fuck Squaw/KSL. And yeah this should probably be in the KSL thread Sorry for the thread hijack...
    If only they had the same visionary owners as their neighbors to the south with the open boundary policy...

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    Just to be clear, Alpenglow Expeditions, run by Adrian and leading the Squaw guided tours, is completely unrelated to Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City. There is no relationship between the two and there never has been.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I actually wondered if they were the same. Seemed like the font for the logo was the same but I never checked.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Don't know the dude, but seems to be big on self promotion and kind of a dick move taking people to those spots, particularly around AM.
    Tried talking to his crew of four at the Big Pine Creek parking lot one morning (there was a tacoma with ALPENGLOW covering the entire body). I was the only other person there and not sure if it was him (there was a chick I assumed was his gf Emily next to him) and he didn't seem to want to discuss their objectives or chat at all even though they had nothing to fear from me being solo and there being a thousand objectives to hit from that parking area.

^^^ ya mean a squaw valley usfuckingA skier was a pompous ass??? I'm absolutely shocked

easily the best conditions for kids ski week ever (and among best ever) this past week through today. trees only dropped there loads from the winds in the approaching front today. my kid learned to snowboard in 2 days and was slaying it on day 3 (in sorrels). what was that old k2 tele sticker- if it was easy they'd call it ........

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Re KSL/Squaw getting their goddamn boundaries open, there are apparently 2 hurdles that have not been cleared in the past (disclaimer - this is second hand info from people relatively close to the situation, verified by unrelated other parties). The first is, Squaw has never had a good relationship with the forest service and that has not helped whatever permitting issues there are. This goes back to Cushing era ownership. My understanding is Adrian has been at least a part of moving that forward...maybe pivotal in moving that forward? The second is there is some private land back there, and the owners have liability concerns.

Not sure what kind of efforts have been made by KSL and what their intentions are. Glass half full guy says the Alpenglow Expeditions program is a first step in the right direction. But I have to imagine it'd take a fraction of the effort, time and money to resolve these issues as it would to build their Disneyland base, and the ROI would be tremendous.

Then we'd be doing tram laps down Shirley Canyon in this all time blower pow!

Edit: Btw, I am NOT with glass half full guy. If this is to be considered a step in the right direction, it would be KSLs ONLY step in the right direction. Probably their only glance in a right direction. And they're blowing it. And by KSL I mean Andy Wirth.
    Last edited by jrf; 02-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeMeUp View Post
    If only they had the same visionary owners as their neighbors to the south with the open boundary policy...
    as far as I know they are the only resort of their size and reputation without open boundaries
    kirkwood heavenly sierra mammoth jackson hole aspen snowbird alta whistler telluride baker vail canyons/park city brighton taos big sky pretty much every fucking resort there is has open boundaries
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    as far as I know they are the only resort of their size and reputation without open boundaries
    kirkwood heavenly sierra mammoth jackson hole aspen snowbird alta whistler telluride baker vail canyons/park city brighton taos big sky pretty much every fucking resort there is has open boundaries

Most of Squaw is on private land, there are complications with accessing public lands from private when there is no revenue/lease dollars goes to the feds. Alpine is on public land, so open boundaries is less of an issue.

Someone needs to have a special use permit from the Forest Service, does anyone know if is Alpenglow or Squaw that got it?

Its a pretty easy skin back over the ridge to squaw and can be done without re-entering squaws boundary, but its not the most efficient way to come back by any means. And now that there is probably an established track coming back in I'd say game on... Not like there is gonna be a patroller hanging out all the way out near the granite chief boundary, there is barely any patrol coverage on granite as is.
    If things seem in control, Your just not going fast enough.

As far as gates go be careful what you wish for, I look fondly back to the days you could do a stealthy rope duck and ski pow days after a dump. Now it's a conga line on pow days. Heard a rumor of two more gates that might get put in at the Heave and I'm super bummed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by karma View Post
    Most of Squaw is on private land, there are complications with accessing public lands from private when there is no revenue/lease dollars goes to the feds. Alpine is on public land, so open boundaries is less of an issue.

Someone needs to have a special use permit from the Forest Service, does anyone know if is Alpenglow or Squaw that got it?

Its a pretty easy skin back over the ridge to squaw and can be done without re-entering squaws boundary, but its not the most efficient way to come back by any means. And now that there is probably an established track coming back in I'd say game on... Not like there is gonna be a patroller hanging out all the way out near the granite chief boundary, there is barely any patrol coverage on granite as is.
    i highly doubt that is true. the forest service has no issue with the public accessing public lands from private lands.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Kirkwood has returned to a controlled boundary system, where they limit access to the open boundary from within the resort. This was how Ian explained it to me.

There is no open boundary at Kirkwood and nobody should attempt to leave the resort.

^^^actually I've seen a lot less exiting this year. Perhaps it is the abundant snow, but not as hit as I recall pre drought. Speaking of abundant, Thunder is looking fat.

Yea, I was surprised how pristine it was since I've seen tracks in little-known spots all over the basin. Overall, I do think people are getting complacent and venturing off the mountain more. Firebreak is just another run at the heave and people hit it all the time in high avy cond, not to mention some car eating tree wells back there. Stuff off Porcupine slides all the time. I don't want anybody to die, and I hope they keep it open for responsible skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Kirkwood has returned to a controlled boundary system, where they limit access to the open boundary from within the resort. This was how Ian explained it to me.
    I should have phrased that as 'with backcountry access' rather than 'without open boundaries'. most resorts listed above do not have permanently open gates.

Yesterday around Red Lake still had great powder if you stayed out of open areas. Lots of snow transport with the increasing winds.

Powdork - was that you out there solo with two dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    The second is there is some private land back there, and the owners have liability concerns.
    This letter was sent vis a vis the TNF winter travel management process, but explains a bit more...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp11f11fat...20TNF.pdf?dl=0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

My hero!

Name:	16991585_10210117107977663_5115152843874393454_o.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	201173

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    My hero!

Name:	16991585_10210117107977663_5115152843874393454_o.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	201173
    I love to watch those dudes do there thing. It's amazing but the size of those snow banks make that blower look smallish.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Got up early to get on the first train to Pow Town. Got off in Chokerville. Literally.

KW DELIVERED this morning.

Chooo Chooo !
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

I tried to get the wife and kid to skip school today. No luck.

Heavenly was a disappointment, so we headed over to a local hotspot

JayTe powdering his Nose today

Name:	IMG_5003_crop.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	201186

Name:	IMG_5068.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	201187

DAMMIT GRANITE!

Name:  1488242582279.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  78.8 KBName:  1488242588679.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  54.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1488242594809.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	201200

Monument to Minden
    Last edited by Fish Rider; 02-27-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^actually I've seen a lot less exiting this year. Perhaps it is the abundant snow, but not as hit as I recall pre drought. Speaking of abundant, Thunder is looking fat.
    Are there still only a pair of tracks back there?!