Page 90 of 184 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 4591
    Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    The KT line was bad, but not brutal on Sunday.

I went out after noon and still got 16 laps.

Probably my best laps of the year.
    Just curious, what is the definition of bad or brutal? how many minutes approx?
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    The KT line was bad, but not brutal on Sunday.

I went out after noon and still got 16 laps.

Probably my best laps of the year.
    Yeah, my post was referencing Saturday... doubt anyone got more than 2-3 laps and if so they are extremely patient.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Let me take just a moment to remember a friend who left us last night, after a battle with cancer. Mark Nadell, also known as Captain Nordic, was an outsized personality in north Tahoe XC, and also an unconventional backcountry ski adventurer. He was known for his single-day ski treks deep into the Sierra backcountry, approaching by dark and ripping up the miles of corn snow on lightweight skate gear.

Years back, I remember coming out of the Sierra on the last of seven days in and around Evolution country and the Ionian Basin, solo, having only seen other people on Day 6 at the Muir Hut. And, about to descend the 40 degree north side of Echo Col, I spotted footprints with the sole pattern of Salomon XC racing boots. "That's gotta be Mark", and, turns out, it was, he'd been out for a little morning skate (with a few friends) through Evolution Basin.

He remains an inspiration. Rest in peace, Captain.

Thanks for that story of the captain.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Well for you pussies that did not get out there today

Attachment 199271

Attachment 199272

Attachment 199273

Attachment 199274
    Wow that looks awesome! Thanks for the stoke. I wish I could have gotten out there.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    How long does it take you guys to summit Tallac?
    Winter route - 45 min if you're speedy. Summer route - 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    45 minutes to the top of Tallac? You're a freaking beast.

45 minutes? Yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    45 minutes to the top of Tallac?
    I spent 1/3 of that time just walking in on the road to start skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Just curious, what is the definition of bad or brutal? how many minutes approx?
    The singles line on Sunday was about a 5-8 minutes (by stopwatch) from about 12-3 while I was out there.

You were almost able to ski up to the chair for the last hour.

The lines are pretty frustrating, but the snow was dynamite.
    Still waiting...

Did you guys see the SAC report of a cornice breaking in Sunrise Bowl? Shows you have to always be vigilant in the backcountry.

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org...e-sunrise-bowl

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Did you guys see the SAC report of a cornice breaking in Sunrise Bowl? Shows you have to always be vigilant in the backcountry.

that's why you fuckers should stay outta my driveway
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Holee shit!
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Let me take just a moment to remember a friend who left us last night, after a battle with cancer. Mark Nadell, also known as Captain Nordic, was an outsized personality in north Tahoe XC, and also an unconventional backcountry ski adventurer. He was known for his single-day ski treks deep into the Sierra backcountry, approaching by dark and ripping up the miles of corn snow on lightweight skate gear.

Years back, I remember coming out of the Sierra on the last of seven days in and around Evolution country and the Ionian Basin, solo, having only seen other people on Day 6 at the Muir Hut. And, about to descend the 40 degree north side of Echo Col, I spotted footprints with the sole pattern of Salomon XC racing boots. "That's gotta be Mark", and, turns out, it was, he'd been out for a little morning skate (with a few friends) through Evolution Basin.

He remains an inspiration. Rest in peace, Captain.
    RIP Mark. Condolences to his family and friends.

Thanks for the post, Bob.

I did not know Mark well, but many older friends knew him really well. He was an inspiration.

I skied off that cornice last week and it was only about a 4-5 foot drop, if that. Must have been extremely windy up there during this latest storm cycle. Strange route choice for skinning up since the normal and most direct path from Glacier goes well above that.

Is Captain Nordic the guy who used to post trip reports from His skating adventures across the eastern sierra? Oh man that guy was BAD ASS RIP sir, you were one of a kind

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    lulz
    3300' with a mile of flat road before you start climbing.
    I'd like to meet this person who can climb 4100'/hr. I can do about 1500'/hr when I'm in top shape.

Maybe he meant 30 minute drive to the Truckee airport and 15 minutes in the heli. ;-)

I came over 431 last night around 7:30 p.m. and it was pretty wild. It was supposed to be closed, but I didn't see the closure on the Reno side. It was incredibly windy with frequent whiteouts, but the most remarkable feature were the massive cornices on the snowbanks along the road (not safe). I've done that drive literally thousands of times but have never seen anything like it before. The cornices on the higher mountain ridges must be unreal.

Anyhow, it was snain at 7,600' and hard rain below this morning. 431 is closed. I know SAC is rating the avy danger as "only" high to considerable, but I wouldn't go out today (the snow would be mostly crap anyway).

BTW, Tallac in 45 minutes is nuts. That said, Kilian Jornet ran the entire TRT in less than 39 hours, so anything's possible.

Edit: Rest in peace, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I'd like to meet this person who can climb 4100'/hr.
    Unfortunately, he perished in a horrible terrorist massacre up there.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Is Captain Nordic the guy who used to post trip reports from His skating adventures across the eastern sierra? Oh man that guy was BAD ASS RIP sir, you were one of a kind
    Yes, that was him.

It was fun watching the snow build last night on the cameras knowing that it was all going to shit today.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I'd like to meet this person who can climb 4100'/hr. I can do about 1500'/hr when I'm in top shape.
    Follow Ueli Steck on Strava if you want to feel bad about yourself. I just pulled up a random recent run of his and he's doing 1k in under 20 minutes. I'm thinking he can handle that pace on a light setup for a short (for him) climb up Tallac.

For us flatlander desk jockeys, Tallac is about 3 hours from your car. As far as Tahoe skin tracks go, the standard route is pretty mellow.

A friend who lives up there, is in the top 10 in Strava on pretty much every mtb climb, and is about as fit as a middle-aged man can be, does Tallac in about 1:15.

Went to Sugar Bowl yesterday and it was howling...with the rain today and the next few days, I just gambled that something would be open. They announced Lincoln wouldn't run at all around 10am with a 'in an hour we'll report on Disney.' However, it was blowing, snowing on and off, and just a blustery day up there so it was no shock to me Disney remained closed. To be honest, it was fun lapping the windbuff under the Jerome lift...and it even ran at high-speed for most of the day. It was a quiet day but one of those days were the lack of people and crazy weather made it fun just to be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Went to Sugar Bowl yesterday and it was howling...with the rain today and the next few days, I just gambled that something would be open. They announced Lincoln wouldn't run at all around 10am with a 'in an hour we'll report on Disney.' However, it was blowing, snowing on and off, and just a blustery day up there so it was no shock to me Disney remained closed. To be honest, it was fun lapping the windbuff under the Jerome lift...and it even ran at high-speed for most of the day. It was a quiet day but one of those days were the lack of people and crazy weather made it fun just to be out there.
    x-post....Keep an eye to for my thing #3 (name's Cooper) when you're at SB. He's there every day but Monday usually with the free ride team unless they're elsewhere for a comp. Bright yellow Flylow Jacket, Blizzard Cochises. Tell him you're one of my internet buddies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.