Page 21 of 184 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    We saw one of the guys hiking up bullwhip on our 1st or 2nd run. Very strange sight. It really seemed he didn't look like he knew what he was doing...at all.

Even stranger you can just ride lakeview and traverse out there in 3 minutes.

Sad no matter the circumstances...

On another note, there is A LOT of perfect spackling snow that came down. It is a very different mountain than a day ago. Tomorrow is going to suck!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Solid first post after lurking for 5 years
    Not one for words, I guess. I'll go back to lurking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    We saw one of the guys hiking up bullwhip on our 1st or 2nd run. Very strange sight. It really seemed he didn't look like he knew what he was doing...at all.

Sad no matter the circumstances...

On another note, there is A LOT of perfect spackling snow that came down. It is a very different mountain than a day ago. Tomorrow is going to suck!!
    Figured that's how they got over there. -
    You think there gonna bring in Backhoes to get the guy out, or will he be a conversation piece down in the ice layer.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post

I as wondering that too. Maybe they didn't have passes or thought it was ok to do if they didn't ride a lift.

Went out to Carson Pass and just fooled around on small drops in a safe zone. This storm looks to open up a lot of terrain in the trees which is awesome. And can't really say how excited I am about the forecast.
    it's hutch's birthday so she was claiming
    Name:  IMG_5636.JPG
Views: 1057
Size:  227.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5637.JPG
Views: 1013
Size:  228.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5638.JPG
Views: 1015
Size:  204.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5639.JPG
Views: 997
Size:  215.1 KB
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Nice pics.

Sad news at Rose. Really Hope he got out somehow and is hiding out back in town. If he was beeping they likely would have located him by now, or he's somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    If he was beeping they likely would have located him by now, or he's somewhere else.
    Wasn't carrying a beacon. If somehow he made it out of the slide and is hiding, then a lot of people put themselves at risk today to search for him.

Quote Originally Posted by thudder View Post
    Wasn't carrying a beacon. If somehow he made it out of the slide and is hiding, then a lot of people put themselves at risk today to search for him.
    No doubt, just trying to stay optimistic while we still can. Sucks for all involved

My guess is the guys figured since NW wasn't spinning that no one would see them so they couldn't get caught by Patrol. Obviously they didn't consider getting caught by something way worse.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    At 11:15 rain started to turn to snow headed up Luther at about the big meadow trailhead and it continued to be snow all the way to Kirkwood. On the way home around 2PM snow levels had risen and it turned back to rain at about the red lake parking area and was raining at Luther pass, but you could see the snowline a short ways up in the trees. Snow was pretty creamy and fun at Kirkwood today and I was surprised by the amount of terrain they had open, but you got soaked pretty quick, starting to look like winter out there!

Luther at 11:15
    Attachment 194787

About 11:30 on Carson Pass
    Attachment 194788

Usual shit show
    Attachment 194789
    Only skied the lower mountain with the munchkin. Was there still a rope at Rabbits?

Last Sunday they had Montes open, and the upper portion had literally no snow due to the evil E.

Creamy today. Dumping rain up here now. Has been since 4:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Only skied the lower mountain with the munchkin. Was there still a rope at Rabbits?
    I don't really know the mountain well enough to know the names of most runs out there, visibility was not that great either, looking at the trail map I believe we skied in that Rabbit zone or past it looking at the map, don't recall seeing a rope line over there, but we did a high traverse over to the first tree line and dropped in there.

Jeezuz, a couple of guys in their 60s?!? Old enough to know better; old enough to be aware of the Chutes' reputation. WTF were they thinking? I mean, fearless 20-somethings doing stupid stuff, I get that, been there etc. Weird, and tragic of course.
    Last edited by bobz; 12-10-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Where did you hear they skinned up?

Went over Donner at 1100 and 1400 today. Dumping rain both times with not a hint of a flake. The Yuba was running super fat. Hopefully what was snow makes up for what got nuked by the rain.

Sorry; misread previous comments that they ascended rather than descended to entry. Bad info edited out above. Still, I'm surprised at their supposed age doing something that reckless; it's a pretty steep drop-in there to be doing when closed and wind-loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Sorry; misread previous comments that they ascended rather than descended to entry. Bad info edited out above. Still, I'm surprised at their supposed age doing something that reckless; it's a pretty steep drop-in there to be doing when closed and wind-loaded.
    I also heard they went up, but only that they hiked, rather than skinned.

So much for the lowering snow level as the storm winds down. It's still 2 degrees warmer here and at Carson Pass than it was at noon today.

I heard that my guess is that I'm going to shut my mouth and wait to hear from SAC.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

What is SAC going to say that hasn't been reported? If they do any report at all it will be after much more precipitation and likely after many more slides.

Cold early and warm later
    Forecast had it backwards

Squaw/Alpine summit sensors showing just about freezing at the top. Drying out at the bottom with zero accumulation. I wasn't expecting much, got even less.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I heard that my guess is that I'm going to shut my mouth and wait to hear from SAC.
    I'm not sure SAC even does reports for inbounds slides. Don't seem to recall that happening for Sugar Bowl last year nor the few that occurred at KW in recent years. Typically the snowpack is so different it has little relevance for BC travel, although in this case the terrain had yet to open so maybe it would.

Edit: looks like they did for this one.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 12-11-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

SAC did a detailed report on the Rose 'lanche....

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org...mt-rose-chutes

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    You can't believe every thing you read on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm not sure SAC even does reports for inbounds slides. Don't seem to recall that happening for Sugar Bowl last year nor the few that occurred at KW in recent years. Typically the snowpack is so different it has little relevance for BC travel, although in this case the terrain had yet to open so maybe it would.
    WCSO said in an interview yesterday that it was considered a "backcountry" event since the terrain had not yet been opened by the ski resort for the season.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Typically the snowpack is so different it has little relevance for BC travel
    Instability inbounds can help provide info out of bounds for avalanche problems. Stability inbounds is obviously no indicator for anything out of bounds.

Bridger Teton Avalanche Center actually reports all results of inbounds AC work on their website. That operation is unique because it is physically based in the resort, but yes there is relevant information to BC skiers that can be obtained from inbounds results.

Also early season if the resort hasn't bombed or opened a slope, inbounds snow structure can be similar to out of bounds. Also during wet slide cycles, inbounds and out of bounds can have the same concerns.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^^ Yes, as I said in the part of my post you didn't quote. ;-)

Glad no one else was caught during the search.