Page 4 of 184 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Any tahoe folk with kids!

I'm looking for some kids boots that are 279-310 mm/ street 5.5-7 if anyone has some that their kids have outgrown

I have boots size 275, 269, and another smaller pair if anyone is in need. Also have some smaller size skis id love to pass on. If anyone needs specific sizes pm me

Props to 45hill for hooking me up with his kids old gots. Thanks mang!

Latest GFS precipitation model for Thursday- Sunday of next week.

High snow levels are fine. It's October I'll be psyched to ski a little and then enjoy crazy good biking. Water is what we need at this point
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Rode my bike over S@T today to access the Sayles area. Tons of activity for a Sunday there, cranking up lifts, rolling out ski runs (never seen that being done before). Maybe they got a message from God and know something we don't. I'd be just as happy with a good soaking of the trails also, it will be powder days for bikes till the real snow hits.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Any tahoe folk with kids!

I'm looking for some kids boots that are 279-310 mm/ street 5.5-7 if anyone has some that their kids have outgrown

I have boots size 275, 269, and another smaller pair if anyone is in need. Also have some smaller size skis id love to pass on. If anyone needs specific sizes pm me

Props to 45hill for hooking me up with his kids old gots. Thanks mang!
    Glad they went to a good home. I will check to see what boots I have laying around. First games this weekend in Tahoe. We play Saturday and Sunday. May just stay after practice on Thursday since the weather seems to coming in. I will shoot you a text if we stay in Tahoe.

Anyone ever taken an avy course from Donner Summit Avalanche Seminars? Randall Osterhuber seems like a very qualified teacher on paper. I just signed up for Avy 1 on his site.

Yes, after 20 years of doing backcountry I'm taking my first ever Avy course LOL (I really just want Avy2 but it's rigged so you have to pay for both). My plan is to take 1 and 2 the first part of the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Anyone ever taken an avy course from Donner Summit Avalanche Seminars? Randall Osterhuber seems like a very qualified teacher on paper. I just signed up for Avy 1 on his site.

Yes, after 20 years of doing backcountry I'm taking my first ever Avy course LOL (I really just want Avy2 but it's rigged so you have to pay for both). My plan is to take 1 and 2 the first part of the winter.
    I took my level 1 course through Donner Summit Avalanche Seminars a few years ago and would absolutely recommend it to anyone. Randall is incredibly knowledgeable and personable instructor.

You might consider not taking your level 2 course right after level 1. I think it's usually recommended to have at least 1 season in between.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm taking level 2 asap. That's the only reason I'm spending money on this. Pretty sure I don't need a season to figure out avy terrain.

On the course note, I'm finally going to take my avy 1 after putting it off the last few years. For the field stuff does it probably make sense to wait until later in the winter to get more out of it in terms of studying a deeper snow pack? Or if we get off to a decent start snow wise will that be good enough and the benefits of waiting are minimal or a crap-shoot?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    On the course note, I'm finally going to take my avy 1 after putting it off the last few years. For the field stuff does it probably make sense to wait until later in the winter to get more out of it in terms of studying a deeper snow pack? Or if we get off to a decent start snow wise will that be good enough and the benefits of waiting are minimal or a crap-shoot?
    The snowpack study part is a minimal part of the Avy 1 curriculum - that's the focus of Avy 2. Check out AAI's course summary - mostly focused on terrain, group decision-making, and similar. https://www.americanavalancheinstitute.com/level-1/ and AIARE http://avtraining.org/aiare-level-1/ I actually think it's better early so you can put into practice what you learned throughout the season.

For Avy 2, a deeper (or any....) snowpack is more necessary-er.

A shallow snowpack can actually be more interesting, particularly here where weak layers tend to consolidate pretty quickly. A big consolidated mid-winter pack usually isn't very exciting unless there have been some recent storms. Of course rescue practice can be a bit more challenging if there's only a foot or two of snow.

Thanks, good to know. Makes sense.

Next 4 days

The 4 days after that

Then nothing for a bit

and then the long range

It's more than likely going to be too warm for a ton of snow, but we may get a surprise on the very peaks.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

The storm in the long range GFS model is showing to be significantly colder, but it's too far out for any accurate calls.

It's really nice to see a pattern forming this early though, for drought relief. Hopefully this is the pattern we see most of the winter, with only one real dry spell in Jan or Feb.

I took an avi course in UT, where the snow structure was more interesting than I generally find in the Tahoe area. I have not had a problem applying what I learned in CA. I recommend that strategy as a fun option.

I hope it's all rain above 8k. I have a new bouldering area to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Randall is a great choice. Enjoy the class.

I've taught with Randall, and I hope to again. He's one of the best instructors out there. And a pretty good guy.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Lot of smoke yesterday in the Tahoe basin, a lot today at Donner Lake. Nothing showing on the inciweb or calfire sites. Maybe a controlled burn?--but it seems pretty breezy and dry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    A shallow snowpack can actually be more interesting, particularly here where weak layers tend to consolidate pretty quickly. A big consolidated mid-winter pack usually isn't very exciting unless there have been some recent storms. Of course rescue practice can be a bit more challenging if there's only a foot or two of snow.
    Although the last several years (including last year) have had slow and unstable starts to the snowpack lasting into January or later.

IIRC last year started off nice and stable and it wasn't until January when things got sketchy.

Re: fires, there are some controlled burns going on in Eldorado National Forest (saw that on Facebook via the Truckee FD).

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    IIRC last year started off nice and stable and it wasn't until January when things got sketchy.

Re: fires, there are some controlled burns going on in Eldorado National Forest (saw that on Facebook via the Truckee FD).
    thanks. didn't think to check there

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Although the last several years (including last year) have had slow and unstable starts to the snowpack lasting into January or later.
    That would have been a better than normal time to take an avi course in Tahoe.

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    From the Lassen Shasta thread...forecast for Helen lake at 10,400ft

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4041.PNG 
Views:	217 
Size:	873.3 KB 
ID:	190089
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Registration link:
    https://register.asapconnected.com/C...CourseId=62363

Also posted in the Slide Zone. Weather looks good for hanging inside this weekend. Multiple Mags have presented in the past and that tradition continues this year. Great way to clean out the cobwebs, get ready for the season, meet up with friends you only see in ski clothes, and learn from some pros.

Social hour hosted by Cold Water Brewery from 4-5pm.