Page 166 of 184 FirstFirst ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 4600
  1. #4126
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    239
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR6823 (2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	207756A line North of Round Top yesterday. All day Kaepernicks from mean wind gusts.

  2. #4127
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,534
    Dumping pretty hard at the house right now and accumulating at lake level.

    Despite the snow showers and wind things corned up nicely today at least on Echo Peak. Took advantage of the road opening to Angora lakes and drove up to the upper lot. Dirt road to the lake is clear and there is still top to bottom skiing from Echo Peak to Angora lake, some smooth turns to be had but mostly summer conditions, fun but not Epic. Walked over to Indian rock, all the chutes are burnt out at the bottom, lots of options in the desolation still.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19092940_1586244021448462_6859933271517629935_o.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	346.7 KB 
ID:	207759

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19023631_1586244051448459_6996419749916686197_o.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	207763

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18953382_1586244131448451_3564779869444634447_o.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	373.1 KB 
ID:	207760

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19023663_1586244121448452_6938947713171627052_o.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	207761

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19025023_1586244314781766_3271504579770518542_o.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	207762

  3. #4128
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,526
    ^sweet!

    Slightly off-thread: I scoped out some Eastside lines today on the drive back from Mammoth. Nice chute/couloir up above June Lake and some interesting stuff still lingering around Virginia Lakes. Bailed on hitting anything due to partial hangover and weather that just didn't call to me (overcast, windy), probably due to aforementioned hangover.

    Back on Tahoe topic, though, I got back into Truckee around 3 pm and it's been lightly snowing on/off since then, but nothing is accumulating at my house (6300 feet). Had some fat flakes fall for about 30-minutes around 5pm, though. But again, nothing sticking this low here.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  4. #4129
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    PS - Thanks to Dookey for his wet sock beta above. We brought spares, they were relished.
    no worries. at least 2 extra pairs of socks is gonna be my modus operandi this spring/summer for patch skiing, especially with all the run-off that's gonna start happening soon.


    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    jpaul, thanks for the inspiration. maybe i'll be able to get a grub up onto andesite or sugarbowl for a walk-and-ski.
    some other grub friendly spots with easier access than Andesite (at least in my humble opinion) to check out:

    1. Sunrise Bowl
    Off Ski Slope Blvd in Tahoe/Donner. You can either park by the water tower on Ski Slope or enter up on Glacier Way and park at the dead-end circle. Approach is about 30 minutes to the top of the ridge, give or take. Best hit early morning or early evening.

    2. Tahoe Meadows Interpretive Loop
    Off Mt. Rose Hwy, this is about a 15-20 minute skin from the road to the visible knoll, where there are a few low-to-mid-angle shots. Relatively easy skin out. Great place to get acquainted with new gear, too, due to it's easy access.

    3. Mt. Rose Summit parking lot, top of Mt. Rose Hwy.
    If you park at the furthest end of the lot you will usually see a makeshift terrain park. Hike up the ridge behind the park and you can access some relatively fun, mellow lines. If you're more gung-ho, you can keep going up the ridge to Tamarack. To get to the first set of skiable lines, though, expect about 30-minutes of hiking/skinning. For the more advanced grubs, there's a great little avy chute down the bend from the parking lot, it's great to yo-yo and provides some steeper terrain, not to mention cool views of Washoe Valley/Reno
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  5. #4130
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,526
    Just woke up to 2 inches of compacted wet snow on the deck.
    June 12th, WTF?!?

    Just heard that chains/snow tires required on Rose Hwy!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  6. #4131
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    317
    Yup. 3-4 on the deck in Incline.

  7. #4132
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Loveland, Chair 9.
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Just woke up to 2 inches of compacted wet snow on the deck.
    June 12th, WTF?!?

    Just heard that chains/snow tires required on Rose Hwy!
    http://apps.nevadadot.com/cameras/default-Reno.asp

    Mount Rose cam looks like it could be January or February up there and the cam outside Squaw looks like mid-April; too bad Squaw doesn't open again until Saturday.
    Eat em up Houston Cougars !

  8. #4133
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Napa Valley
    Posts
    270

  9. #4134
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,788
    Nice Jeff!!! angora rd open when echo is still worthy is a rare thing. Thanx for the word. As of last Thursday the main halls chute still goes and is in good shape though there is some loose scree to contend with below the apron. If anyone drops in without climbing it there is a small step that will prolly be impassable by next weekend after temps get warm again.

  10. #4135
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Nice Jeff!!! angora rd open when echo is still worthy is a rare thing. Thanx for the word. As of last Thursday the main halls chute still goes and is in good shape though there is some loose scree to contend with below the apron. If anyone drops in without climbing it there is a small step that will prolly be impassable by next weekend after temps get warm again.
    Did not even bother to look down halls as the apron all looked burned out last Monday at least viewed from Tallac and theirs been another week of melt since then but since the shot was taken with it in the shadows looks like more of the apron is there that I first thought with a closer look,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02090_crop.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	207785

    This is what Mini looked like yesterday looking down from the top
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02349_crop.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	207786
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 06-12-2017 at 11:56 AM.

  11. #4136
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,788
    Ya after skiing halls we went back up to the top of draw and skied down lookers right to get out as there is more continuous snow there by the trees. The tight pinch in your pic now has a rock step in it.

  12. #4137
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kings Beach
    Posts
    434
    pretty cool that its snowed in the range of light two years inna row on june 11-12th... i was skiing fresh at mammoth on this day last year and will be skiing fresh at mt rose when i get off work today!

  13. #4138
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoearmada View Post
    pretty cool that its snowed in the range of light two years inna row on june 11-12th... i was skiing fresh at mammoth on this day last year and will be skiing fresh at mt rose when i get off work today!
    Maybe I'll see you up there! Gold Tacoma.

  14. #4139
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kings Beach
    Posts
    434
    a lotta people getting the fresh at alpine this morning!
    wish I wasnt stuck at work!

  15. #4140
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoearmada View Post
    a lotta people getting the fresh at alpine this morning!
    wish I wasnt stuck at work!
    morning was probably definitely the call.
    me'n Vets hit up Historic Donner Summit at around 3:15.
    Visibility was classic San Francisco Ocean Beach-styled fog and heavy mist (you could not see "Poop Chute" from the road).
    After mulling over several options, we ended up skiing a super low-angle knoll right off the road.
    Snow was about 4 inches of thick&wet on a packed, yet soft base. It was also starting to form breakable crust.
    While we didn't kick off any serious wet slides, all of our turns looked like drunken snowboarder turns (it ended up looking like somebody raked the entire slope, instead of nice figure 8's).
    Pretty sure steeper terrain would have slid.

    Vets gettin' wet 'n sloppy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6155.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	207813


    Our smears, I mean tracks...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6188.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	207814




    From the looks of other pix I have seen from today, either Rose or CP were the call (I dunno wtf we were thinking!)
    Last edited by dookey67; 06-12-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  16. #4141
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,139
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    some other grub friendly spots with easier access than Andesite (at least in my humble opinion) to check out:

    1. Sunrise Bowl
    Off Ski Slope Blvd in Tahoe/Donner. You can either park by the water tower on Ski Slope or enter up on Glacier Way and park at the dead-end circle. Approach is about 30 minutes to the top of the ridge, give or take. Best hit early morning or early evening.

    2. Tahoe Meadows Interpretive Loop
    Off Mt. Rose Hwy, this is about a 15-20 minute skin from the road to the visible knoll, where there are a few low-to-mid-angle shots. Relatively easy skin out. Great place to get acquainted with new gear, too, due to it's easy access.

    3. Mt. Rose Summit parking lot, top of Mt. Rose Hwy.
    If you park at the furthest end of the lot you will usually see a makeshift terrain park. Hike up the ridge behind the park and you can access some relatively fun, mellow lines. If you're more gung-ho, you can keep going up the ridge to Tamarack. To get to the first set of skiable lines, though, expect about 30-minutes of hiking/skinning. For the more advanced grubs, there's a great little avy chute down the bend from the parking lot, it's great to yo-yo and provides some steeper terrain, not to mention cool views of Washoe Valley/Reno
    thank you!

  17. #4142
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,070
    Dookie's advice is spot on.

  18. #4143
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,534
    New Snow smoothed things out nicely today

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19055839_1589185167821014_1560349995878442470_o.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	588.0 KB 
ID:	208057

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19142989_1589185214487676_2462216769529346834_o.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	208058

    I molested all three of these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19093048_1589185251154339_5527974630493771776_o.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	350.9 KB 
ID:	208059

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19221613_1589185491154315_803210107703090511_o.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	208060

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19055369_1589185601154304_1532169911731405095_o.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	208061

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19144108_1589185714487626_5491267390419234608_o.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	208062

  19. #4144
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Flatstar
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    New Snow smoothed things out nicely today


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19221613_1589185491154315_803210107703090511_o.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	208060
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19144108_1589185714487626_5491267390419234608_o.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	208062
    You're an animal and I'm definitely jealous how often you get after it. May I ask where you found those lovely chutes?

  20. #4145
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,534
    4th of July Chutes, Blackwood Canyon is still gated at 89 so bring a bike

  21. #4146
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Flatstar
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    4th of July Chutes, Blackwood Canyon is still gated at 89 so bring a bike
    That's what I thought they looked like but I've never seen pictures of them with that much snow .. thanks

  22. #4147
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    317
    Sonora pass opened today. Who's interested in a day trip to ski the Y couloir on leavitt peak tomorrow?

  23. #4148
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,534
    [QUOTE=B.Gillis;5040258]That's what I thought they looked like but I've never seen pictures of them with that much snow .. thanks[/QUOTE

    Right!

    First chute I skied today looked like this last year on June 17th
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June17_2016_crop0.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	208065

    This year on June 13th
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June13_2017_crop.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	208066

  24. #4149
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,070
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    4th of July Chutes, Blackwood Canyon is still gated at 89 so bring a bike
    I did that on BigFeet once 20 years ago. Shit howdy

  25. #4150
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    4th of July Chutes, Blackwood Canyon is still gated at 89 so bring a bike
    they (forest service) seem to be lagging on opening gates this year.
    i can understand Castle Peak, since the snow still goes down to the paved road and turn-out/around area.
    but Martis Lookout is still gated off 267, as well as the FR across the hwy (at least as of this past Sunday when I drove by).

    guess i'mma have to get a bike!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •