Meanwhile, snowmaggedon is getting outta hand at 5000' in NW Reno:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170122_132706.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	833.6 KB 
ID:	197995

No ladder fancy boys?

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Once being 10 feet wide in the middle, mini-hucks in Eagle and Vista disappeared, Heart being a 15 footer off the bottom with no top entrance air ...

from may 2011
    still, if you look at the rest of the tr, it was pretty interesting
    http://www.powdork.com/2011/oh-may-god/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by mandudebro View Post
    Fwiw- looks like the SB article on SV ops has been censored/removed. Can anyone post the text?
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...a-lift-delays/

^ For sure! Lots of new lines come into play with fat coverage as well. I'm just exaggerating like usual. Also, the only lines I am physically able to ski are pretty much boring anyways

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    i believe the propane explosions at serene lakes were during the 2010/2011 season and due to the snowload/weight on the lines.
    There were about 30 different propane leaks in Serene Lakes in April of 2011, just the 1 explosion.
    I was walking around up there with my dog and we'd turn a corner, take a sniff, and go the other way. Was scary.
    I was told it was actually the freeze/thaw would move & shift the tanks. Folks would dig out the tanks and find the line actually separated from the tank. If that's the case, nothing to worry about in the short term until the temps begin to fluctuate.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

It's been pretty much blowing sideways all day in KW valley today. Already planned to get snowed in, so no problem about the roads. We still managed a good day -- it takes a LOT of this light snow to pack a ramp. Feel free to hit it as you come in meadows drive.

south tahoe schools already called another snow day. between that and the nws telling people to stock up on supplies and be prepared for power outages and NOT to even try to drive, we were jinxed. it may nuke tonight but today was the first storm all month to under deliver at heave. plenty fell last night to reset nv side and lots of bombs going off and some pads raised but didn't see any lift ops or dig crews so not sure how hard they are gonna try to open tomorrow. snow was much more typical sierra style and while there was over a foot of new, ski penetration wasn't nearly as deep. I'm fine if this last storm fizzles and it has a chance to settle out because shit is stacked like it hasn't been in ages across the entire sierra and the potential for upside down pack is already there

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    There were about 30 different propane leaks in Serene Lakes in April of 2011, just the 1 explosion.
    I was walking around up there with my dog and we'd turn a corner, take a sniff, and go the other way. Was scary.
    I was told it was actually the freeze/thaw would move & shift the tanks. Folks would dig out the tanks and find the line actually separated from the tank. If that's the case, nothing to worry about in the short term until the temps begin to fluctuate.
    Tends to be an issue with houses that aren't being used all winter, so the driveway isn't plowed. Snow creep cracks the propane line, then once you get some freeze thaw action in the snow pack, it creates a huge bath tub around the house. Propane builds up until it hits a pilot light and BOOM!!

Anybody have a recommendation for a north Tahoe resort tomorrow? I hear squaw will be limited and alpine delayed... thanks!

^ Also, the only lines I am physically able to ski are pretty much boring anyways
    Feel your 'pain' A, my spondy has slipped almost a full inch now. So things are pretty mellow these days until I get some TSA-challenging hardware.

What is going on at mid-station on Heave's gondy right now? Shits on fire yo...

Name:	HeavenlyObservationDeck_01-22-18-15_1068-watermark.jpgpm.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	198057

Also, anyone notice they took down the Heave's/Kirkwood's snow stake cams?
    Last edited by gnarbro365; 01-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Putting together statistics on just how fantastic things have been...with some field work in between. 6k of this yesterday...wheeeeeeee! BeamMeUpScottie with the shot.

Name:	blower.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	198064

Crushing at about 3"/hour in NW Reno right now. Got about 7-8" in the last few hours.

Heavy rain just returned to the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeMeUp View Post
    Now would be a terrible time for a huge earthquake. old goat, those 4x8's are definitely way over-spanned, but real life performance can definitely contradict what the numbers say. Stay safe!
    It's not the deck I'm worried about. When we built a garage we cut the span of the joists with headers carried on the back wall of the garage. BTW when we bought the house the joists were supported by pocket holes cut in the T111--no headers. And no evidence of any crushing of the plywood. Plywood on edge is very strong, if not to code. OTOH--architect friend walked into our house and the first words out of his mouth--"You have no shear wall." We must be the only people in Truckee with earthquake insurance.
    Snow load here is 400 psf. Direct vent pipes must open at least 12 feet above grade. That is starting to seem less ridiculous.

Wasn't sure if I was even going to ski today given the forecast, but Squaw starting spinning Red Dog, Far East, and Squaw Creek before 10am, so I headed over.

Snow started out pretty heavy, but got better as the day went on (started snowing pretty hard at the end of the day, mmm free refills). Not that crowded either.

Was absolutely nuking in Truckee around 7pm.

Fell asleep for a while, woke up to 1 1/2 feet of blower in the driveway, figured I better do a preemptive blow and clear it out as a head start to tomorrow, hope the plow comes by tonight

Good 18" in Tahoe Donner since about 4pm. Power went out at 845 or so. Rallying out in the morning should be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    ...Squaw starting spinning...so I headed over...
    How was the journey?
    We pussied out of driving over given the various "dire warnings".

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^ For sure! Lots of new lines come into play with fat coverage as well. I'm just exaggerating like usual. Also, the only lines I am physically able to ski are pretty much boring anyways
    Even so, it's better if it get's there more slowly. These big multi day closure storms can take lines that aren't in yet and get them past their prime without them ever being skied. And that's a terrible terrible thing (unless compared to anything that's actually bad).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I don't know how you could say we got jinxed
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Even so, it's better if it get's there more slowly. These big multi day closure storms can take lines that aren't in yet and get them past their prime without them ever being skied. And that's a terrible terrible thing (unless compared to anything that's actually bad).
    Terrible, simply terrible. Sad, really.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Wow Kirkwood got about 2' overnight according to data, and we have high pressure setting up soon. Final tally is about 8' over the 3 waves that came in.

If we can avoid the Evil E as these storm fragments blow out, later this week is full game on for the locals.

Be safe, have fun, and Slay the Gnar everyone!!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell