Page 9 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Hourglass ski'd great. Lower down towards the parking lot was thinner than 10 days ago though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4119.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	191552

Name:	IMG_4116.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	191553
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    One gets the impression that at Sugar Bowl the most snow falls on the deck.

Kirkwood should put a HS 6 pack lift to the top of palisades or martins point with a midstation at the top of doodle; another 6-pack to the top of thimble; another to the top of lightning; another near the top of holy grail; and another to the top of "big trees"/Schafer (or whatever the hell it is called).

Didn't 6 used to be a triple?

6 used to not exists. Back then to ski the wall you had to climb over from the backside. Too bad they were using the wrong kind of skis back then.

They do have both a Martins and Lightning Lift in their plans. Neither comes from the base. I know the base of the Martin's Lift would be near the top of Bunny (9).

Just making it so 10 does not break down, or only load two people per chair, would be great. I do think 11 and 4 being upgraded to high speed quads would be good for the resort and skier movement.

I'd rather see 2 go high speed than have them invest in the Caples Crest lift over Whiskey Slide.

If we are just chatting lifts.

Where is Holy Grail?

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

"Holy grail": what do you think all the snowboarders were heading for when dropping in from "the wave" and heading towards "fawn ridge"? I learned that from either Ian or Adam.

Ottime, you are confusing 6 and 10. 6 ("cornice") was there, I think as a triple, since i first skied kirkwood in 85. Zacharies was a bump run, too.

I forgot about the "need" for the chair up red cliffs/whiskey.

I jest....
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-02-2016 at 01:28 AM.

I was talking opening year. They built 1,2,3 & 4 and opened with those in 72. I was not there, but 5,6 went in a few years later. Then 7,9.

When I showed up 6 was a high speed quad and 7 was a fixed triple that ran from the road.

One of my favorite days ever at KW I got stuck at the Spur until 9:40ish. I pulled into the valley and could see 6 had popped. I decided to park over at TC, because there were plenty of spots, walk across the road and take the slow 7 up and over. I noticed as I was loading that 10 had popped and I was super bummed. Then I noticed that Sentinel was completely untracked. I decided to head for 6. Good thing, as 4 opened, and the hordes went that way. There were maybe 15 of us riding 6, and Sentinal and Pali opened. We had all that to ourselves for about 4 hours before the crowds returned from the back side. We set a mid/high road to Pali and would literally traverse/step 30' past were you dropped in on your last run. Endless pali pow.

Pali sure gets skied a lot quicker these days. I blame high speed and vail. And fat skis.

Actually a lift up Fawn Ridge, from the low point to the left of the 4 line.,would be a smart addition. That is some of their best intermediate terrain on the hill. And it would bump up nicely, instead of turning into traverse railroad tracks. Snow stays decent over there as well. I'm sure the west shore zone would get hammered with lemmings. As for boarders (and I see lazy skiers too) doing the holy grail; most never make it to the goods and just fuck up the snow for later.

And take out the rope tows. Top tow has not opened since Vail bought the place. The bottom tow was open for maybe 3 weeks this season. Pointless, and they barely move you up the ridge as it is.

Okay, I'm pumped to ski now.

I looked for an old map. 5/6 were around by '74

in '76, most of chair 6 was blue

And it looks like Martin Point was proposed back in '79 (7&9 are in) as well as 10, but unloading mid Wall

The '87 map has 10, and the '89 map has 11.

Avoiding work...

I'm glad we now have a good understanding of the "holy grail".

The powder day you describe was typical midweek and sleeper weekend powder days, until fat skis came on the scene (isn't it still that way many days when we're in a big storm cycle?); pushing out your own traverse to the next fall line into sentinel, rabbits, etc. also, there's the around the back traverse to drop into the wall after the lift starts loading to make big fast turns down the fall line gut with the jealous audience riding the lift.

Those maps are cool!

Sweet maps!

When I was a kid, chair 6 was a double. haha.

As for repair of 6, they are on a daily schedule to get it back online.

I like the phonetic spelling of couloir on the map from '76. Cue discussion of opening the Cirque.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Own your fail. ~Jer~

Speaking of old maps, this came from skidevil in 2007

"Thimble peak" never made it to reality. I also remember seeing some master plan (super) speculation regarding runs down to caples lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I like the phonetic spelling of couloir on the map from '76. Cue discussion of opening the Cirque.
    I spoke with an old patroller about that and it used to open a few days every year. If I recall correctly, '79ish was the last year that happened due to an incident over in Hells. Someone was skiing up on Hells Buttress (the ridge to the left of Hell's Delight where the current rope line is) and set off a slide. It took out a couple of skiers in Hell's Delight. Thankfully, they survived; but that was the end of opening up the Cirque.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

[QUOTE=skier666;4843633]When I was a kid, chair 6 was a double. haha.[\QUOTE]

Thanks.

I'm too young to have these memory problems. I blame ayso from the 80's.

When I Blackwood Canyon two days ago after work.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

How quick is it melting? This forecast with highs in the 50's for 2 weeks sucks balls. Might as well bring my mountain bike up there next week. There are going to be some extra skinny WROD's when the resorts open.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    It is definitely warm in the sun in town (Truckee). But it's a trip looking at the crest. Still completely white and covered with snow (albeit a guesstimate of 3-12inches depending on where you went...). MTB could be a wash. We are officially in the "challenging" season, where there is not enough snow to be good skiing but most of the MTB has been shut down. 1st world problems
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Surf is thumping. And it was 80 degrees at my house this afternoon. Maybe a visit to the coast? Hell, the MTB is likely to be great right now down here.

^^ MTB is plenty good in the North bay right now (hero dirt was amazing today). Just need to be up in Truckee for a bit to take care of some stuff before winter really sets in so trying to make the best of it.

Been pretty good since the new snow. Been to a couple zones which are obviously limited and the time/vertical skied ratio has been on the low side. None the less good to be sliding around. Cold soft snow still around today on the most N aspects. Anything getting much sun seems to be getting pretty crusty...feeling more and more like a stout breakable crust by the end of today.

Name:	DSCF3426.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	849.8 KB 
ID:	191757

Name:	DSCF3428.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	191758

Name:	DSCF3433.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	191759

Name:	DSCF3445.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	191756

I'm pretty sure the new GM at Kirkwood is Doug Pierini, who was head of skier services at Breckenridge.

Breckenridge Employee Spotlight

Ski & Snowboard Swap - Truckee-Donner Recreation and Parks District

Tomorrow

http://tdrpd.org/home/blog/250-ski-swap.html
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Ski & Snowboard Swap - Truckee-Donner Recreation and Parks District

Tomorrow

http://tdrpd.org/home/blog/250-ski-swap.html
    In that regard, what's available for kid playing in Truckee? Is the pump track still open?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal View Post
    N* sold ... http://www.sierrasun.com/news/busine...e-ski-resorts/

What does it all mean ?
    I might be off here but I'm pretty sure it was only northstars village that sold. And I'm pretty sure Vail has a contract to operate the village for x amount of years so it should be that Vail is now just under contract with these new guys. I haven't looked into it too much but that was my understanding of it when the original for sale sign went up