Page 2 of 184 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    ^^ Check out ASI (http://alpineskills.com/) right in truckee. Been around for like 30 years so they've got it figured out pretty well. Took avy 1 with them last year and it was solid.

ASI is definitely a solid choice. I'll also suggest Donner Summit Avalanche Seminars, which is Randall Osterhuber's clinic. Randall's a snow scientist, forecaster, and SAR guy so he brings a lot to the table beyond the straight AIARE curriculum.

LTCC is the cheapest option but not very convenient from Truckee.

Yeah, ASI is the go-to.

Lake Tahoe Community College runs an excellent course that many folks here have taken as well.

Mountain Adventure Seminars is great too. They're out of Bear Valley and I really enjoyed my Level I I took with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Well it's not Magic but I'm riding the Matterhorn in October.
    Hit us up for Yosemite
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

My yard five days ago . . . .

Name:  14354892_10153749103556237_7571339084784513595_n.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  137.8 KB

Something, something . . . winter is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    Hey guys, I'm really hoping to take my level 1 avy course this year and I'm looking for a little bit of direction. I've done a handful of backcountry trips but all of them were late spring and early summer with no fresh snow and little danger of a wet slide. I have all the necessary gear, based in Truckee and I've checked out the sierra avalanche center website but I don't really know which course provider to start with? I was hoping one of you could steer me in the proper direction. Thanks in advance.
    Alpenglow Expeditions ran a great course. Last year, the course was hosted at the Cedar House hotel, which was nice. Field days were in Negro Canyon and Donner Summit areas. https://alpenglowexpeditions.com/exp...lanche-course/.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    . . . winter is coming.
    For whatever it's worth, I just saw the fuzziest caterpillar I've ever seen today.
    Supposedly the furrier they are, the bigger the winter.
    Or it could all be just a bunch of BS.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Hey guys, I'm really hoping to take my level 1 avy course this year and I'm looking for a little bit of direction. I've done a handful of backcountry trips but all of them were late spring and early summer with no fresh snow and little danger of a wet slide. I have all the necessary gear, based in Truckee and I've checked out the sierra avalanche center website but I don't really know which course provider to start with? I was hoping one of you could steer me in the proper direction. Thanks in advance.
    Check out Tahoe Mountain School. They offer AIARE L.1's in Truckee.
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    I've heard great things about Donner Summit Seminars as well. I took my level 2 at LTCC last winter and it was great.

Looks like I will be the minority at this point, but I sent my friend in the ASI direction last winter and was blown away to find out who they had teaching the level 1. They have a history of having great instructors (I used them in 2007 for my level 1), so talk around before you drop the major $$$ for the course. Or play it safe with DS Seminars/LTCC/etc.

May just be a hiccup for them, but my .02 FWIW.
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Awesome, you guys rock. I appreciate all of the info and insight. I know alot of folks haven't released their schedule of courses for this upcoming winter but should I plan on it being a Friday through Sunday deal or does anyone do weekday courses?

Back in this beezy with some data from a few SNOTEL stations of interest. Since I had to create a new account, I can't post images yet. Just wait, there will be pics-a-plenty for all yo snow nerd needz.

Over the past 37 winters (water years 1980-2016), here is the date in November when there is at least 1" of snow water equivalent (~6-12" of snow) on the ground, more than 50% of the time:

Sonora Pass: 11th
    Heavenly Valley: 12th
    Echo Peak: 9th
    Truckee: 26th
    Squaw Valley Gold Coast: 10th (hence the 2016/17 opening date estimates?)
    Donner Summit (CSSL): 20th

I'll post up a map once I can.

Just for fun, the correlation between the average maximum Tahoe City Cross SNOTEL Sept 1-Oct 15 temperature and Oct 1-March 1 Precipitation total is 0.00476 (p=0.727).

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I feel like we need "Make Tahoe Deep Again" stickers... great thread title.
    Certainly gets my vote.

Awesome, you guys rock. I appreciate all of the info and insight. I know alot of folks haven't released their schedule of courses for this upcoming winter but should I plan on it being a Friday through Sunday deal or does anyone do weekday courses?
    http://www.tahoemountainschool.com/courses/avalanche
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Those ^^^ all look like F-Su or Sa-M to me. I think the others will be pretty much the same, except perhaps during holidays (Xmas, "ski week"). But if you can get a group together I'm sure you can schedule something midweek.

Live stream of the Keep Squaw True & Sierra Watch community meeting and Tahoe City tonight

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?SierraWatch/...d59/07162d2cc8
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Days 8-12

Days 12-16

Glad to see moisture..

Agreed

Agreed

Tomorrow is October 1st. Now it's time to start getting serious.

Ruin and Rose tonight at Squaw. Who's going?

The thread title inspired this creation. Put me down for wanting an "average" year again, also.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-01 at 7.25.32 PM.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	189126

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I feel like we need "Make Tahoe Deep Again" stickers... great thread title.
    Indeed. Strong work.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Or, short cut to the Weather Geek! ~The Dad~
    Sadly, I cannot take credit. Lawyer, not meteorologist.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    ~The Dad~
    www.beatthetraffic.com - good maps for Bay Area and SAC 'to
    These days, I think Google is more reliable.

FWIW, if you're looking to do Avy I on the relative cheap, I think that there will likely be another NSP course this year. NSP Eastern Sierra Region will list them on their page. Tends to be weekender-oriented.
    not counting days 2016-17

Name:  14567999_10207063657456012_4626799703766414463_n.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  105.5 KB

I saw some guys with skis on at the Rose Summit Parking area this morning getting ready to do whatever one does with 3" of snow on top of rock and dirt. Kind of dumb, kind of awesome.

re: one mt rose

Anybody know where things stand with one reno mount rose?