Page 22 of 184 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    KW is gonna be a shitshow today. Reported 18" with 12 overnight but 6 is on hold for hard snow conditions...

where is this 100" of snow that was in the forecast yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by T-boz2016 View Post
    where is this 100" of snow that was in the forecast yesterday?

Not quite sure what the fuck I just skied at Heavenly today but it was fun as hell, best turns of the year hands down. I was outbound to Kirkwood with a bud and we made a last minute change to head to Heavenly since the upper mountain had been closed the day before. Gondi was not moving when we rolled up so we headed up to Stagecoach, almost no one was there and they opened at 8:28am. Snow was a perfectly smooth wind packed surface but soft enough to get edge in with a little penetration, we called it "Just the Tip" day. Best way I can describe it was like skiing perfect backcountry corn, no speed limits though the trees, really fucking fun.

Interesting to hear the Heavenly trees were great today. I went to S@T today and the West Bowl groomers were surprisingly great, soft and fast. But anything off piste was out of the question imo, mtn was a giant ice rink! Even if it were softer the snowpack is too thin anyway. Hoping this next storm trends colder!

I think elevation was in Heavenly s favor also being more east from the crest maybe less wet stuff hit it at the end. Add to that it was not compacted by skiers yesterday, this was the stuff off Dipper and Comet, lower elevation stuff was not fun but you had a groomer to get back down that was fine. Things got pasted so well up there, coverage is very good up high,

Report from a tweet that body has been recovered at Rose from yesterdays slide in the chutes. No other information released.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Report from a tweet that body has been recovered at Rose from yesterdays slide in the chutes. No other information released.
    Was up there til just before 1 and the probe line was proceeding slowly up the hill.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Was up there til just before 1 and the probe line was proceeding slowly up the hill.
    If even the known body is recovered, they'll probably continue the probe line to attempt to ensure no unknowns were buried.

They have found the body but they're still saying they're not sure it's him.

Elephant back went huge last night or today (the debris pile did not get rain and refreeze). The lower right toe was 15'-20' deep.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eback-249.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	194865

The skiing up high was lovely cream cheese. Below it was carvable but unbreakable crust. all in all pretty good
    Name:  eback-259.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  548.7 KB
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I have seen some slide debris in that bowl at Eback, but never anything that big. That bowl was my first BC run in Tahoe 20 years ago.

Breakable and supportable crust in Mt. Rose Meadows on a kick and glide excursion.

Thats a big one, you guys the first ones out there? Do a beacon search just in case?

No there were three people at the bottom when we got there.

That is quite impressive!

Is amazing people no check forecast...anyone reading about local area woulda held off w such redflag conditions- Even pros risk ,though-miss ya ,the ones that didn't make it .... human bomb test..oh. u ,j p .

Lotsa ghosts up on them ridges
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Upper half of incline peak skiied great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481515260723.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	194890  

Rose FTW

Name:  snow total.PNG
Views: 867
Size:  160.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    Interesting to hear the Heavenly trees were great today. I went to S@T today and the West Bowl groomers were surprisingly great, soft and fast. But anything off piste was out of the question imo, mtn was a giant ice rink! Even if it were softer the snowpack is too thin anyway. Hoping this next storm trends colder!
    I was at Sierra today too and I can echo that West Bowl was skiing great. Soft chalky snow that you can bomb.

Off Grand view was a ice rink though....

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Not quite sure what the fuck I just skied at Heavenly today but it was fun as hell, best turns of the year hands down. I was outbound to Kirkwood with a bud and we made a last minute change to head to Heavenly since the upper mountain had been closed the day before. Gondi was not moving when we rolled up so we headed up to Stagecoach, almost no one was there and they opened at 8:28am. Snow was a perfectly smooth wind packed surface but soft enough to get edge in with a little penetration, we called it "Just the Tip" day. Best way I can describe it was like skiing perfect backcountry corn, no speed limits though the trees, really fucking fun.
    Did I ride the chair with you? We were talking about the freeze hold on the Gondola and how rainy it was at Kirkwood the day before.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

The SAC forecast is daunting. I wonder if we are going to go through another slow cycle on that persistent weakness like last season. I have not read closely enough, is there any description or text of the observed locations of the layer? That would be useful information. We at least know that elephants back is probably cleaned.

The persistent weak layer now has anywhere from 2 to 4 ft. of snow on top of it that can act as a slab layer. While data and observations have shown this layer to be most prevalent above 9000 ft. in the Mt. Rose area and above 8300 ft. along the Sierra Crest some observations have recently found it at lower elevations.
    In most places this is the bottom of the pack. It will be easier to trigger near rocks and anywhere the snowpack is shallower due to spatial variability. While not likely, they are possible and their likely size is listed as 'Very Large to Historic'. Historic is bad.

Tahoe is the new Colorado, apparently...

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Sketchy...great time to be taking an AVY class though
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"