Page 181 of 184 FirstFirst ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 4591
    Yeah trying to decide which direction I want to drive 3 hours this weekend :P...there seems to be a post that disappeared before this one
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 10-04-2017 at 12:02 PM.

CalTrans apparently installing GazEx exploders on the Spur. So that's cool. Surprised they haven't done it already, but better late than never.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    CalTrans apparently installing GazEx exploders on the Spur. So that's cool. Surprised they haven't done it already, but better late than never.
    Any idea where specifically?

Not sure.

The Forest Service Schedule of Proposed Actions says, "Caltrans proposes to install three new GazEx exploders at Carson Spur. State Route 88 is a major trans-Sierra transportation corridor. The work is needed to keep the highway open during the winter months and to provide for public safety." Then it says, "The project is located along State Route 88 adjacent (south) to the Carson Spur, between milepost 69.8 and 70.6."

This study mentions Chutes 10-12: http://www.dot.ca.gov/newtech/resear...estigation.pdf (See Appendix J-7 and J-8, or word search) But then it seems to indicate there are some up there already? I didn't think there were, but rather just on Carson Pass and Echo Summit. I'm sure somebody can correct me on that.

Either way, whether additional exploders or first ones on the Spur, should be helpful in terms of safer and quicker road openings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I seem to recollect seeing a gazex rig on the ridge line a few summers ago ....... but I may have been hallucinating.

Figured I'd drop this here: I and another TGRer are trying to pull together a ski lease in Meyers or somewhere in that neighborhood. We're looking for another couple of people to keep the cost down a bit. Hit me up if you're interested.

Good news about the gazex on 88!

I haven't counted thoroughly but they have had at least tree gazex on the spur for a year or two now. The more the merrier though. And now commence the talk of a tunnel/ tram from silver lake.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using TGR Forums mobile app

Commencing ... now!

Who does Vail need to petition to get a snow shed like Trans Canada highway ... friggin McClintock??? Additional Gazex is nice, but that doesn't change the fact that safely plowing all that debris is time consuming and costly. There has got to be a 20-year ROI for a freaking snow shed on the Spur!

Whatever though, I won't be sitting in that Silver Lake lineup on Saturday mornings anymore.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Looks like squaw/alpine heard all the grumbling and invested in some new avalanche prevention equipment. They got a helicopter, avalanche guns, and fixed avalanche triggers according to their website.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnski View Post
    Looks like squaw/alpine heard all the grumbling and invested in some new avalanche prevention equipment. They got a helicopter, avalanche guns, and fixed avalanche triggers according to their website.
    But what about the wind?

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    But what about the wind?
    Last season's motto from AM, "The carpets will run".

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Good to know andy. Thanks.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Commencing ... now!

Who does Vail need to petition to get a snow shed like Trans Canada highway ... friggin McClintock??? Additional Gazex is nice, but that doesn't change the fact that safely plowing all that debris is time consuming and costly. There has got to be a 20-year ROI for a freaking snow shed on the Spur!

Whatever though, I won't be sitting in that Silver Lake lineup on Saturday mornings anymore.
    As if there'll be need for a snow shed or anything similar in 20 yrs, except for rare occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Good to know andy. Thanks.
    Nah, there would have been a comment about Squaw being the greatest, the bigliest, we're talking big snow people.

There's been Gasex up on the Spur for YEARS...I know because I may have explored all the Spur skiing options

WTF is Hideout Lodge?? https://snowbrains.com/lake-tahoes-h...e-location-to/

Luxury backcountry ski lodge ( ) near Kirkwood with heli trips all the way to the Buttes? (fo real??)

Just a short drive from Los Angeles apparently.

And I hear there is a shuttle you can take.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    WTF is Hideout Lodge?? https://snowbrains.com/lake-tahoes-h...e-location-to/

Luxury backcountry ski lodge ( ) near Kirkwood with heli trips all the way to the Buttes? (fo real??)
    that seems pretty far to fly 70+ miles each way. i thought the heli skiing ops was flying clients to private lands north of 80 and south of hwy 49. but flying out of truckee....

The Hideout is the raddest spot for a wedding I've been to in the Tahoe area. It's just a click or two west of Silver Lake, not far from the old Iron Mountain. There are probably a bunch more fotos of the lodge and area on their summer wedding focused website.

//hideoutkirkwood.com/about-2/

It looks like they are trying to make some money of the spot in the winter as well. The Buttes must be their name for the mountains right around the place. I've only been there in summer but I think there's some mini golf right around the lodge and longer lines no far away. Not sure it's heli worthy but it would be fun to tour or sled in that area with good conditions. There's not many bc huts around here, so it's cool someone is offering a new option, and it's got a damn saloon.

They clearly show the actual Sierra Buttes as a heli destination from the lodge - that's bullshit. And the captions for the "rad" photos were obviously written by an English- as-12th-language gaper. This is retarded.

Gazex at top of High Yellow Gully and Pete's Peril could potentially suck--I guess we'll see.
    now all they need is a self driving snow cat that can go up the K2 road.

There is already a gazex at the very top of high yellow and it annoys the shit out of me as it def has had a negative impact on the snow and the best line

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    Figured I'd drop this here: I and another TGRer are trying to pull together a ski lease in Meyers or somewhere in that neighborhood. We're looking for another couple of people to keep the cost down a bit. Hit me up if you're interested.

Good news about the gazex on 88!
    Myself and a couple of kirkwood freeride coaches are looking for a place in meyers/christmas valley for the winter

Sounds like Squaw has done the math and decided Gazex are cheaper than patrol.