Page 101 of 184 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4591
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Nice, C! I miss KW very much.
    2nd

Quote Originally Posted by guermo View Post
    Grumpy, he is talking about a different area than you are. You are referring to Tamarack / Hourglass area.
    Oh crap, my bad. Need more coffee before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by mandudebro View Post
    Kind of like choosing to live an area with an economy supported primarily by tourism (40%+ of jobs), and complaining ad nauseam about the tourists?
    I'm a lurker, but this brought me out of the woodwork a bit. Have to address this just because its pertinent to a lot of discussions I've been having lately.

\rant
    Main point: spending money somewhere does not necessarily make you part of the community or entitle anyone to feel a sense of ownership in an area. A lot of folks have sacrificed quite a bit (Higher pay, housing, back pain from shoveling , etc) in order to call this area home, and while it is true that some of the out of town money can trickle back into the local economies/population, there is a lot more to creating a healthy community.

I rarely see anyone that is not a full-time resident attending local committee meetings (DRB's, MAC's, BOS's) or at local park & beach clean ups, trail maintenance days, etc when it comes time for that. I have so many "neighbors" in my hood that I have never met because they don't seem to find any need to ingrain themselves in the area. Case in point, my "neighbor" last weekend threw a big party, and had people park anywhere and everywhere including in my full time neighbor and my hand shoveled driveways. Felt no need to give us a heads up or ask (nor invite anyone from the area and its because it doesn't matter, he will be gone the next day and won't have to worry about pissing us all off.

It's just the way it is. We all get it, but being a "local" somewhere should have its advantages given these folks committed fully to making it work and made the necessary sacrifices. So, if we all can just respect that fact and the fact that you are in someone else's home I think things would be a lot less heated and locals wouldn't be so "jaded." Basically, you don't go walk into someone's house, hog their XBox, take a shit in their hot tub, leave a $20 on the counter and peace the fuck out. We'll all try to do the same.
    \endrant

Anyway - it was good last weekend. Got out with some tele types that ripped.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5223.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	861.7 KB 
ID:	200166

Quote Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post
    I rarely see anyone that is not a full-time resident attending local committee meetings (DRB's, MAC's, BOS's) or at local park & beach clean ups, trail maintenance days, etc when it comes time for that.
    While I agree with some of your general sentiment, do consider that sometimes there are people involved that are not locals that maybe you assume are. I've been at multiple meetings in recent years along with other people from the bay area, including the Squaw Village shit show BoS meeting in Kings Beach last November. I also helped with the powerlines area trail re-reroute this past summer (off the TRT) above Tahoe City. Because I enjoy the area I do like to pitch in to help when I can. I'm sure I'm not all that unique. So just be careful with your assumptions.

Anyone else stupid enough to ski at Squawlpine this Saturday? A friend and I are going to put our daughters in ski school and go wait in line a bunch. ;-) Oh, and we are leaving on Sunday because if you're planning to get home on Monday, good luck with that.

TahoeJ - That's awesome. I say rarely, but not never (especially with the higher profile issues/projects), and I do realize there are a lot of reasons why some folks who are invested can't, especially since many are midweek, but just wanted to point out that that is how it is, and that many locals are going to these to build up and fix problems in our communities on a monthly, weekly or more frequent basis.

Just thinking that if more took a proactive role in becoming part of the community or else realizing that they are not and respecting someone else's, things would be better (but whatdoiknow). Back to stoke...

I had a Fine day at the Wood.
    Enough fresh to cover the bumps but not enough to get people to come out. Empty chairs when Cornice opened a little after 12:30.
    My last 3 runs in Pali, I still couldn't find any tracks to cross.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I do them on Snowbrains.com (click the snowbrains link on my signature) - haven't added one to my website in a few years...just need to find the time to convert them over. Yeah right, like that's going to happen anytime soon.
    I'm amazed with what you get done. I just pulled out the camera yesterday, and the disk has pictures from last Easter on it. Can't seem to either shot a full disk of pics nor download them in nearly a year. Let alone edit and post. Will see if I can get the ones of the KW caking I took on Monday taken care of. The Palisades looked like they had lines in them. I never shot Ooops Face, but saw it from below and I was surprised how accurate your statement was, even for mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    While I agree with some of your general sentiment, do consider that sometimes there are people involved that are not locals that maybe you assume are. I've been at multiple meetings in recent years along with other people from the bay area, including the Squaw Village shit show BoS meeting in Kings Beach last November. I also helped with the powerlines area trail re-reroute this past summer (off the TRT) above Tahoe City. Because I enjoy the area I do like to pitch in to help when I can. I'm sure I'm not all that unique. So just be careful with your assumptions.

Anyone else stupid enough to ski at Squawlpine this Saturday? A friend and I are going to put our daughters in ski school and go wait in line a bunch. ;-) Oh, and we are leaving on Sunday because if you're planning to get home on Monday, good luck with that.
    Ill probably be up at Alpine tomorrow and Saturday.. think I am going to go into the backcountry if the conditions are good for Sunday and Monday though..

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Lencon View Post
    Ill probably be up at Alpine tomorrow and Saturday.. think I am going to go into the backcountry if the conditions are good for Sunday and Monday though..
    Just pulled the plug and didn't drive up because my daughter wasn't feeling it. Have fun!
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 02-16-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencon View Post
    think I am going to go into the backcountry if the conditions are good for Sunday and Monday though..
    Where?

Tonights drive up took half as long as the drive up last Friday night.

People of California,

we have heard that America in general is now great again and California has a little bit of snow, so a non-internet skier friend, freak and I have decided to come check things out for two weeks around easter. We are flying into and out of SF, will be renting a car and have no other specific plans as of yet. Former california maggot/ austrian transplant Franz Klammer kindly gifted us with a guide book on backcountry skiing in the Eastern Sierra and has spoken very highly of the potential for radness in that area. We would appreciate any other recommendations for general resources on conditions/must skis etc that we can browse during the trip planning phase (guide books, websites, ...?). We are not super interested in resort skiing, would potentially be into multi day tours, and are on a budget. How crowded do things get at easter? any particular places that should be avoided? Of course we would be stoked to ski/ have a beer with some locals too!

We get a lot of moderately silly and very vague questions in the snow for the euros thread, so i figure I can ask a few here
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

I would fly to los Angeles, drive to bishop, and stay there, cheap place.
    The backcountry around bishop will take you a lifetime to explore. The book, by nate greenberg is a must have.
    Corn skiing around Easter, best in the world.

The evolution tour, a few days, incredible skiing.

can anybody recommend a metal fab shop in north tahoe? I'm looking for a quote on a custom bumper box for my camper

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post
    can anybody recommend a metal fab shop in north tahoe? I'm looking for a quote on a custom bumper box for my camper
    If you're willing to go to Reno, I had Relentless Fabrication do bumpers and rock sliders for my old 4Runner. I was impressed with the precision of their work - a lot nicer than most aftermarket 4x4 stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post
    Troy is a local guy that is doing good work. https://www.facebook.com/Landofabrication/
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    Tonights drive up took half as long as the drive up last Friday night.
    Maybe because it was Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    People of California,

we have heard that America in general is now great again and California has a little bit of snow, so a non-internet skier friend, freak and I have decided to come check things out for two weeks around easter. We are flying into and out of SF, will be renting a car and have no other specific plans as of yet. Former california maggot/ austrian transplant Franz Klammer kindly gifted us with a guide book on backcountry skiing in the Eastern Sierra and has spoken very highly of the potential for radness in that area. We would appreciate any other recommendations for general resources on conditions/must skis etc that we can browse during the trip planning phase (guide books, websites, ...?). We are not super interested in resort skiing, would potentially be into multi day tours, and are on a budget. How crowded do things get at easter? any particular places that should be avoided? Of course we would be stoked to ski/ have a beer with some locals too!

We get a lot of moderately silly and very vague questions in the snow for the euros thread, so i figure I can ask a few here
    Around last Easter is skied University peak. I saw one guy when. I got back to the parking lot. Not that University is super popular destination, but that gives you a idea of how bad the crowds typically are. I'll be out touring if weather complies the first week of April, if that is in your time frame.

On another note, not complaining or poking fun, but just observing. My Prius friends have just decided to head up from Santa Cruz. Winds are blowing 30+ at my house currently, and the rain is falling enough to hurt. They hate driving in the snow, but here they come. So, yeah, likely to be crowded tomorrow inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    On another note, not complaining or poking fun, but just observing. My Prius friends have just decided to head up from Santa Cruz. Winds are blowing 30+ at my house currently, and the rain is falling enough to hurt. They hate driving in the snow, but here they come. So, yeah, likely to be crowded tomorrow inbounds.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore."

Used to describe immigrants coming to the US. Now describes bay area folks coming to Tahoe... except, ya know, the poor part...

klar

klar is online now heartcore

People of California,

I sent you a PM with Info .

Welcome to the range of light. There will be a lot of Peeps ready to show you around

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Haha - well they are in for a surprise- I came over the spur around 8:15 and it was already slick and blowing hard starting at the peddler turnoff and it's only gonna blow harder as the day goes on. I'm keeping an eye on the roads because I want to get home without taking the long way. I plan on leaving at 6 tomorrow so I can get here at 7ish and hopefully avoid most of the 88 shitshow.

That wind though has made under buttress into headwaters so sweeeeet! Refills all day!(after you get through the first 50 yards and can see again)
    Last edited by P-ville Madman; 02-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.

I haven't been to Sierra at Tahoe since I was a kid and I have those free days from my Squaw pass so I'm planning to day trip it tomorrow since the odds of me ever driving there from Truckee are nil. Not likely but anyone going to be there? Or want to share any beta on where to find the goods? Obviously I've heard good things about the trees but there's a lot of them. ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I've only been a few times but remember the inbounds gates accessing super fun tree and pillow lines. Also, as you traverse from the main lift over to get to that area you can take "shortcuts" over short steepish treed pitches which are fun. I had some of my best runs of the season on a couple storm days there last winter. Everywhere else was on wind hold at least one of those days, iirc.

Grilled english muffin uh "sandwich", 2 Pete/Gerry eggs, SIGNATURE SELECT UNCURED BACON everybody loses. Windy. why. Tillamook butter.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I haven't been to Sierra at Tahoe since I was a kid and I have those free days from my Squaw pass so I'm planning to day trip it tomorrow since the odds of me ever driving there from Truckee are nil. Not likely but anyone going to be there? Or want to share any beta on where to find the goods? Obviously I've heard good things about the trees but there's a lot of them. ;-)
    Do you have a gold pass? With Silver I assumed I'm blacked out at Sierra tomorrow, but if not....
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"