Bike Theft (Boulder): Black Santa Cruz Nomad 09

Stolen off my bike rack in Boulder near Pearl Street.

The bike is a black Santa Cruz Nomad '09, Large.

The bike has a Rockshox Lyrik U-Turn coil fork with no rebound knob, and several scratches and significant wear near the seal on the left stanchion. The grips are foam and pretty worn out. Several deep scratches on the stem face and handle bars. Brakes are Shimano Deore M-615 with worn faces. One KS eTen remote dropper post trigger and one 1x10 Shimano Deore M-615 shifter on the handlebars. Brake hose on fork has missing ziptie to connect it (rubs against the tire). Tires are Maxxis DHF. Wheelset is red alloy Azonic Outlaw 20mm and 135mm/9mm. Dogbone suspension linkage in front of the rear shock is engraved with a large 'P' - it's a custom component from Push Industries in Longmont. The shock is a Fox DHX 5.0 with a 450lb-rating (or 500lb-rating?) shock. The crankset is Shimano Saint and has a 36t bash guard and 36t NW chainring, along with a 28t NW chainring from absoluteBlack. The derailleur is a Shimano Deore M-615 with a broken clutch lever and a OneUp cage adapter. The cassette is modified 10s Shimano XT with a 40t OneUp cassette cog. The seatpost is a KS eTen. The saddle is a WTB Silverado. There is a large scratch on the chainstay. One of the grease ports on the lower suspension linkage piece has a notch missing out of it.

Bummer man. Just had 2 road bikes stolen about a month ago from my garage. About 4k in bike gear. Pretty frustrating to say the least. Will keep an eye out. Good luck!

That sucks. I will certainly keep a look out for it while out riding. With a dropper post and that custom collapsible seat you ought to be able to easily get your weight back on steep descents. ☺

I will spread the word and keep a out an for it on the trails around town.

Thanks guys!

Bike Theft (Boulder): Black Santa Cruz Nomad 09

Bike recovered thanks to some co-workers with keen eyes when they were on a walk today along the Boulder Creek path! Cops came and cut the lock but didn't want to catch the thief. No wonder bike theft is so bad in Boulder.

The thief even washed it for me... hahaha

Check out what he did to adjust the seatpost too (had the dropper down when he stole it).

Last edited by Lindahl; 09-26-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Right on!

That's fuckin awesome!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

good shit!

Great news! So lucky!

Great you were able to recover the bike. Sucks cops have no interest in easily catching the thief.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

FKNA!

Although, I wish they had caught the douche.

Good for you!

I'm surprised though that it appears to just have been a local guy for his own use. My understanding is that in the past a lot of the bike theft in Boulder was organized groups coming up from Denver. They'd steal a bike, ride it to a van parked nearby in a secluded area, and load it up to be taken far away to be sold or chopped for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    By the looks of the cable lock, you could you have uncoiled it to full length and just lifted the lock and cable overtop of the parking meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Good for you!

I'm surprised though that it appears to just have been a local guy for his own use. My understanding is that in the past a lot of the bike theft in Boulder was organized groups coming up from Denver. They'd steal a bike, ride it to a van parked nearby in a secluded area, and load it up to be taken far away to be sold or chopped for parts.
    Still happens, but there's also a good bit of homegrown theft here. There are a lot of very nice bikes in Boulder that are easily accessible if you have a pair of cable snips.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    By the looks of the cable lock, you could you have uncoiled it to full length and just lifted the lock and cable overtop of the parking meter?
    Yeah, I was thinking the same later. Got lucky it wasn't stolen from the thief before we found it! I waited though because I thought for sure the cops would have wanted to catch the thief. Ugh

Glad to hear I would have hated to sucker punch you on your own bike.

Awesome sauce
    Similar thing happened to me. Fuck it, we got our bikes back.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Seriously though. Think about the perspective of the police.
    "Hey man, you guys should totally do a stake out. We're only taking a couple hours, max two days. Maybe get a laundry van or bring in a disguise expert. I'm thinking one plain clothes over here by the bush, dressed like a hobo. A couple motion detector cameras on the neighboring parking meters (monitored by van crew) in case plain clothes guy falls asleep or is in the middle of a crack sale (gotta keep his cover up). If the van crew picks up any hot activity around said parking meter they can call in Boulder/SWAT and we can drop in on this fucker like a pack of dingos on a dead kangaroo!!! Gotta send a message to bike thieves that this town full of Trustafarians on their expensive town bikes can't be taken for granted."

It's all about resources and perspective.

Glad you got your bike back. Pretty cool you had enough people who cared looking out for you.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I get that. Its just a bummer that it works that way.

Some poor CU Boulder kid is crying today because the $200 sickass ride he bought (at an amazing price!) from some methhead just got stolen, possibly by the same methhead that sold it to him ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell