Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If actually using this thing is such a chore for you, just wait until you have to edit the video you take.

You should probably just sell it and buy a ski helmet.
    This made me laugh due to the ridiculous amt if footage I have stored that sits untouched because i can't be bothered to edit it into anything

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    This made me laugh due to the ridiculous amt if footage I have stored that sits untouched because i can't be bothered to edit it into anything
    Same. I take mine surfing and never even look at the footage.

I was there. I know what it looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Yep... and it’s the reason why I never shoot video. I hate editing it.

I always figured no video was worth watching unless someone else thought it was worth the time to film you. But hey! I now have a GoPro that even works underwater!

This thing could up my cat thread game
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Attaching the GoPro to the cat would be infinitely more entertaining

They have a head strap mount that’s an over the top and around the dome strap... nice to pull out of a pocket and just slap it on
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

HERO5 + Karma = GoPro is Back

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Hum, Goggle mount sounds interesting. I wear my Maui Jim's unless its storming but I could do that.
    No helmet and Maui jim's .... what level ski instructor are you? I would guess 3 or higher.

The goggle mount is useless, unless ur goggles are super tight, or u use one of the adhesive patches to attach it...to a helmet.

Because really, anything worth capturing on film should necessitate the use of cranial protection
    Last edited by cmcrawfo; 01-27-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    Chest mount footage seems to be better than footage from a helmet mount ime.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Chest mounts are nauseating. I would love to never see a chesty video again. Left right left poles right knees left right knees arm. Helmet cam stays steady on the fall line unless you're a bobblehead or have shitty form.

^^ haha, if someone is working on their upper lower body separation the chest mount could make for a great learning tool.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    They have a head strap mount that’s an over the top and around the dome strap... nice to pull out of a pocket and just slap it on
    This. Piece of cake, put it on when you want to take video, no big deal, good point of view because it’s right above eye level.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Well, karma is fun to play with, but it didn’t quite relaunch GoPro

I’m just getting the hang of mine...
    My first (Public) offering

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Flame away
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Just getting the hang of it and you're flying it that close to the river? Ballsy.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Just getting the hang of it and you're flying it that close to the river? Ballsy.
    Yeah, I’m only smart at work.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Mo' water shots...

Next I need to get some MTBing.. I have 3 or 4 ideas for shots... just no time to put them together.

PS, I need to pay for some editing software again soon.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Nice work!

GoPro has some desktop editing software that’s free. Will be more powerful than just the apps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29050111717_58f98b6349_o.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	253416

Shot this on my Karma over the summer. Then crashed it right after. Lol. Luckily just needed new propellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Nice work!

GoPro has some desktop editing software that’s free. Will be more powerful than just the apps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29050111717_58f98b6349_o.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	253416

Shot this on my Karma over the summer. Then crashed it right after. Lol. Luckily just needed new propellers.
    They don't support that anymore, but I still use that mostly... Problem is when I forget to use a lesser format it's in HEVC or whatever that my imac doesn't support.. but my iphone does..
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    They don't support that anymore, but I still use that mostly... Problem is when I forget to use a lesser format it's in HEVC or whatever that my imac doesn't support.. but my iphone does..
    Oh didn’t know that. I have an Adobe subscription so I get Premier included which is nice for the 1-2x per year I need it.

Oh didn’t know that. I have an Adobe subscription so I get Premier included which is nice for the 1-2x per year I need it.
    I sold my DSLR and lenses last year so gave up the Adobe subscription. I need to get all my shit organized then do a month of premier for $20 or whatever.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I'm supposed to meet a guy tomorrow night to buy a used Hero5 and Karma Grip gimbal. $300 for the combo.

Give me a reason not to do it.

This is mostly the wife's idea. The kiddo signed a contract last month to be a test rider for Hayes Group and may be getting a spot on Commencal's development team. Due to that she thinks we "need" more than the pics/vids I shoot on my phone. I've tried to explain that 1) the reality is that POV footage is of limited utility; and 2) editing video is a massive PITA and timesuck that I'm not particularly into. Point 1 is why we're also getting the gimbal, and as to Point 2 she claims that she wants to get into doing the editing. I am deeply skeptical of this claim.

With that in mind, a couple questions:

1) My home PC is 5-6 years old and even when new had mid-range specs. Is editing 4K footage on it even realistic?

2) What I'm I going to need for editing software? I know the basics of Shotcut but really don't want to get into anything more expensive or complicated.

Try Adobe Rush. Free to try, then 10/month. Go to the Rush website and click on the System requirement tab, and it'll tell you if your old computer can use Rush.

And if you have an old computer, don't shoot 4K, just 1080p. 4K is overkill.

Or maybe just buy a phone gimbal and see if you need a gopro or not.

For 4-500 you could get the Hero 7 which doesn’t need a gimbal.

For 4-500 you could get the Hero 7 which doesn’t need a gimbal.
    That's a good point. But he'd have to set it to H.264 recording otherwise his old computer won't play H.265. And probably also still record in 1080 24p, which IMO is enough for shooting most things that are not pro level. Maybe 2.7K 24 p would work on an older computer too.

I mean, the 4K does look amazing though, don't get me wrong.

"Mr BB" here, she thought I should add my 2 cents...

I think, as long as the gimbal and camera are of sound operation and not busted up, $300 is good.

Good reference, for anything GoPro really: http://abekislevitz.com/video-settin...e-hero5-black/
    Abe was/is? head of GoPro post production, and his blog posts on every model of camera are mandatory reading for any and all things GoPro.
    1) The others are right about your computer not being happy editing 4k or 2.7k x 60. Going to those (or the newer GoPros with higher settings) can look good because they take in a ton of data, but that in turn is challenging for the computer.
    2)I haven't personally used the Karma Grip, but it seems equal or better than any gimbal I've used, which are generally a PITA. $300 for cam + gimbal is solid given price of gimbals.

Not sure your personal knowledge of settings and all the jazz, but a quick review...web vid generally plays at 30 fps, so with 60 fps you can have smooth slow mo down to 50%. More than that is usually unnecessary. 1080p is totally adequate for these purposes.

3) With gimbal, film your mini homie at 1080/60 fps. Wide FOV. Sprint alongside, chase, run in the opposite direction of his travel, all that jazz.
    4) If it's on him, say chest or helmet, then go with 1080 Superview. It's 1440 (4:3 framing) squished to 1080 (16:9). Superview does distort corners but you're going to get more bike/trail + horizon, and the 16:9 framing matches the other handheld footage for ease of editing.
    Use protune, (higher bitrates=more data=better footie). I wouldn't mess with white balance (auto) or Flat color (use GoPro color) until wifey wants to get into color correction. ISO settings low (keeps noise to min).
    5) Editing software...I haven't used it, but I just read about https://www.techradar.com/reviews/lightworks

I could write a lot on this stuff, but, well, get it, play with it, and see how the footage looks, and see how the editing process is. It can be frustrating to see the raw footage look dope, then when you export an edit at a reasonable size to your computer it's slightly less awesome, then on Youtube it looks far less awesome... The GoPro app (for phone) can be very useful for quick trims and clips and might do the trick for a bunch of what you're looking to achieve. I remember reading Kidwoo posts for tips on editing and filming, so probably just ask him about everything

Super sick to hear about his success, and not at all surprising, given his skills. Kids are awesome, so make sure to get plenty of B-roll of him to add in. Selfie view (say, mounted on handlebar looking back) could be cool without full face to see a few seconds of his stoked face or ahhh face. You can feel free to PM BB here for my contact info if you want to call or email more about this stuff. I hope your dude can show me around I-street this spring! Once he's getting gear and growing out of it and you're selling it then he can buy you guys a sweet new computer to go along with the Hero7!
    skid luxury

HERO5 + Karma = GoPro is Back

Thanks for all that info!

FWIW I have the Hero 5 and Karma drone + gimbal grip.

It really does great in producing stable footage. I’ve been super stoked on it for that. My only gripes, and reasons I want the 7:

1) the gimbal is fairly small, but the grip is huge, and that’s what holds the battery. There’s no good way to carry it in your person without a $100 accessory cord.

2) using the grip you lose the waterproof aspect of the GoPro. I do a ton of work around water so that makes things a bit more interesting. I haven’t used it much in the snow, so not sure how well it would hold up to mild slush.

3) the gimbal destroys the audio. You hear the motors running and I haven’t figured out a way to fix it in post. The gimbal also takes up the port to add in an external mic, so you can’t get better audio that way.

But $300 is a good deal for that setup if you don’t need any of those things.

My one editing tip is to shoot in 30 FPS but slow it all down to 24. Smooths out the action without making it look slow mo. Obviously don’t do that if you want to seem like you’re hauling ass, but for airs it makes it look you’re going bigger.