Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Too Many Tourists In Colorado

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/17...owns-too-busy/

Similarly, State Of Utah marketing has done such a good job that our national parks are beyond stressed and a total shitshow during the summers. Even the ad agency Utah hired admits the did too good of a job.

But the irony of transplants moving to CO and working for tourists are now complaining about too many tourists is too much. Hard to feel sorry for them, but I do understand their gripes of having a crowded town, crowded trails, etc.

More info on how CO benefits from tourism money: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/20...-tourism-2015/

Pretty soon it will be Bunny time in CO.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1474313007.502792.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  105.3 KB
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Pretty soon it will be Bunny time in CO.
    Nope. Too many tourists. Heh.

Now I'm second guessing my ski trip to Vail I planned for this winter, too many fucking tourists everywhere.

The only people who have a right to complain about too many tourists are people who were a) born there and b) have made their living from a non-tourist business. Anyone here qualify? (Not that complaining about it will do any good.)

I think the recent influx is due to weed. Its crazy to think John Denver knew this would happen when he wrote this 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think the recent influx is due to weed. Its crazy to think John Denver knew this would happen when he wrote this 40 years ago.

John Denver's full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The only people who have a right to complain about too many tourists are people who were a) born there and b) have made their living from a non-tourist business. Anyone here qualify? (Not that complaining about it will do any good.)
    Says who?

I think that there is a valid discussion to be had about whether the goal should be attracting as many tourists as possible at all times without regards to capacity, sustainability, dilution of experience for all, and impact on the community.

My question is if there is so much money pouring in, where is the infrastructure investment to support the capacity?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I always thought this was a wobbly argument and inevitably divisive.
    What is a valid "there"? When? How many generations? What proximity to "there"?

No one is from everywhere. Everyone is. It's all inevitably infinitely interconnected.
    Staying in the womb just isn't an option. Trying to get back there as often as possible can be satisfying as long as one is willing to put up with substitutes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    John Denver's full of shit.
    Shut yer filthy whore mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    My question is if there is so much money pouring in, where is the infrastructure investment to support the capacity?
    Being opposed by the locals? It's a hard truth that most people, myself included, want service at a price and usage level that are unprofitable in the current world. Empty lifts and runs for a pittance. Similarly many residents seem to want the benefits of a tourist economy - restaurants and bars, a nice ski hill, "easy" tourist dollars without what comes with - seasonal crowds, "gapers", expensive second homes. That's just human nature, but it's not sustainable. The idea you can make serious tourist $ without either severely limiting access and charging for it, or going for large numbers, runs into basic economics. And there's no sympathy for those who moved to a mountain place to cash in on tourist $ and are willing to take the $ and sneer at the people who came from some place else to enjoy it too. aka old goats argument is only divisive because of the ego attached to being a local by so many. you are there, as tourist or local, you can "improve it", "spoil it", or pass through like water.

Denver eh? The sunshine state.

Gorgeous!

I qualify.

I don't really bitch about the tourists though. For better or worse, it's a huge part of the economy here, always will be.

Doesn't take that much creativity to get away from them, either.

Too Many Tourists In Colorado

The better question...Do you want to turn that faucet off ?

80 percent of people are in 20 percent of the places. Your experience depends on which 20 percent you find yourself in
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 09-20-2016 at 06:33 AM.

You mean the people who were born here and are either the:

a) descendants of recent transplants

- or -

b) descendants of people who murdered the Native Americans who lived here and stole their land?

No one has any right to complain about people moving anywhere - especially not in Colorado. This land is your land, this land is my land. If you don't like it, go fuck yourself. Northern Nevada is beautiful this time of year and you'll probably have the place to yourself for a while.

See you on I-70.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Maybe a lot of these people aren't "tourists". Maybe they're Colorado residents using the outdoor recreation opportunities they moved to the state for. The front range is growing and thriving.

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Colorado has been crowded during winter months forever, but the first article I posted is about summers being out of hand and a huge recent increase of traffic in some areas.
    I naively thought telluride this summer would be a bit mellow, being so far away from large cities. I'll go again, but it's borderline for me being too busy. Same with Ouray. CB was bad too, but man the trails will bring me back.

Is Lake City similarly busy too? Seems more out of the way and less of a tourist destination.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Now I'm second guessing my ski trip to Vail I planned for this winter, too many fucking tourists everywhere.
    You should quadruple guess the idea of going to Vail for a ski trip.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    This land is your land, this land is my land. If you don't like it, go fuck yourself.
    Sig worthy. the FS should have to print that at the bottom of every sign they erect.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Is Lake City similarly busy too? Seems more out of the way and less of a tourist destination.
    Remember, it's close to Texas.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Some areas are certainly getting "over loved" in summer.
    East side RMNP, East side Indian Peaks, Grays + Torreys come to mind immediately. I get it, they are gorgeous areas, but people need to spread out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I naively thought telluride this summer would be a bit mellow, being so far away from large cities.
    Hah! There is a different festival or event there literally every week all summer. Every hotel room is booked every weekend. They try hard to cultivate their image as a sleepy mountain town, but it hasn't been that way for a long time.

Ask a T-Ride local if they think there should be another festival added. Report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.