Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildlife

Been holding these since last summer. From AZ and CO.

Desert Bighorn Sheep

Little Grandfather to the Navajo

Two swamp donkeys on consecutive days

And how about a slug. Just because.

Honey bee swarm. Notice the magnolia on the right appears golden as compared to the magnolia on the left. From Wiki:

Swarming is the process by which a new honey bee colony is formed when the queen bee leaves the colony with a large group of worker bees. In the prime swarm, about 60% of the worker bees leave the original hive location with the old queen. This swarm can contain thousands to tens of thousands of bees. Swarming is mainly a spring phenomenon, usually within a two- or three-week period depending on the locale, but occasional swarms can happen throughout the producing season. Secondary afterswarms may happen but are rare. Afterswarms are usually smaller and are accompanied by one or more virgin queens. Sometimes a beehive will swarm in succession until it is almost totally depleted of workers.[1][2]

Swarming is the natural means of reproduction of honey bee colonies. In the process of swarming the original single colony reproduces to two and sometimes more colonies.[3] For instance, one species of honey bee that participates in such swarming behavior is Apis cerana. The reproduction swarms of this species settle 20–30 m away from the natal nest for a few days and will then depart for a new nest site after getting information from scout bees. Scout bees search for suitable cavities in which to construct the swarm’s home. Successful scouts will then come back and report the location of suitable nesting sites to the other bees.[4]

A few hours later.

bees are cool

clams are less cool but never seen one do this before
    https://www.someecards.com/videos/wtf/clam-video-sand/

(sorry cant embed video but if you view it on my link vs the weather channel you don't have to watch the stupid ads)
    skid luxury

Not my pic (neighbor posted it to FB) but there's an otter hanging out at the local lake:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18359101_443529806000514_8202056602583717885_o.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	206035

Name:	18422948_443529749333853_8128693751259502596_o.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	206036

Friendly fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Friendly fella.

Nah he's one a them nazi otters man

a sad report on some wildlife-
    one of the local famous wolves who had beautiful white fur was found with a shot wound and euthanized
    the report came out about her death a couple wks ago but they did not release the cause until just yesterday
    she was also quite old about 12 yo whereas the ave age for the wolves in yelowstone is 5 yrs
    RIP white wolf

http://buckrail.com/famous-yellowsto...ered-for-info/
    Name:  White-Wolf-960x640.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  93.2 KB
    JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Yellowstone officials have confirmed to Buckrail that the famous white wolf found dying last month was shot. Preliminary results from the necropsy of the Canyon Pack alpha female wolf showed that she suffered from a gunshot wound.
    Hikers discovered the mortally wounded wolf April 11, inside Yellowstone National Park near Gardiner, Montana. Park staff responded and euthanized the animal due to the severity of its injuries. The deceased wolf was sent to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory in Ashland, Oregon for a necropsy. The lab has transferred the preliminary results to Yellowstone National Park.
    National Park Service law enforcement believes the wolf was shot on the north side of the park, near Gardiner, or near the Old Yellowstone Trail which is located in the park on the northern boundary. The incident likely occurred sometime between April 10 at 1 a.m. and April 11 at 2 p.m.
    “Due to the serious nature of this incident, a reward of up to $5,000 is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual or individuals responsible for this criminal act,” said Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk.
    The wolf was one of three known white wolves in the park. She lived to 12 years, twice the age of an average wolf in the park, and had a broad range that extended from Hayden Valley to the Firehole River area to the northern portion of the park. As the alpha female for over nine years with the same alpha male, she had at least 20 pups, 14 of which lived to be yearlings. She was one of the most recognizable wolves and sought after by visitors to view and photograph.
    skid luxury

Not my pict, but here's a lion eating a neighbors pet goat yesterday in the middle of the day. The neighbor took the pict from inside their house

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    a sad report on some wildlife-
    one of the local famous wolves who had beautiful white fur was found with a shot wound and euthanized
    RIP white wolf

http://buckrail.com/famous-yellowsto...ered-for-info/
    Name:  White-Wolf-960x640.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  93.2 KB
    JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Yellowstone officials have confirmed to Buckrail that the famous white wolf found dying last month was shot. Preliminary results from the necropsy of the Canyon Pack alpha female wolf showed that she suffered from a gunshot wound.
    Hikers discovered the mortally wounded wolf April 11, inside Yellowstone National Park near Gardiner, Montana. Park staff responded and euthanized the animal due to the severity of its injuries. The deceased wolf was sent to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory in Ashland, Oregon for a necropsy. The lab has transferred the preliminary results to Yellowstone National Park.
    National Park Service law enforcement believes the wolf was shot on the north side of the park, near Gardiner, or near the Old Yellowstone Trail which is located in the park on the northern boundary. The incident likely occurred sometime between April 10 at 1 a.m. and April 11 at 2 p.m.
    “Due to the serious nature of this incident, a reward of up to $5,000 is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual or individuals responsible for this criminal act,” said Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk.
    The wolf was one of three known white wolves in the park. She lived to 12 years, twice the age of an average wolf in the park, and had a broad range that extended from Hayden Valley to the Firehole River area to the northern portion of the park. As the alpha female for over nine years with the same alpha male, she had at least 20 pups, 14 of which lived to be yearlings. She was one of the most recognizable wolves and sought after by visitors to view and photograph.
    Fucking humans. I would love to shoot the fucker that did that.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Name:	IMG_8842.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	208821

edit- no idea why this pic is pio'd
    also -bring back the tags
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8842.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	208823  
    skid luxury

also a really cool program we watched the other day on mtn lions around Jackson/Grand Teton

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...rs-undercover/

while I know they are all around us it gave me the chills to see footage of a lion around cache creek trails.
    They found one of Frostbite's cached deers basically right next to probably the most popular running and biking trail in Jackson last summer and have wildlife camera footage of it.
    skid luxury

Saw a total of six grizzlies (two mothers each with two cubs) while riding the chairlift at Lake Louise ski area last weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Fucking humans. I would love to shoot the fucker that did that.
    X2

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Awesome shot! In my book, one of the coolest birds in nature along with the Peregrine and Golden Eagle. Grew up on the Delaware River and had several local Kingfishers that used amaze me with the size fish they could catch/fly off with.
    First time browsing this thread...Had an elk get taken down less than 100 ft behind the house. Watching the rest of the neighborhood feasting on it from fresh through bones was amazing. Cougars, magpies, coyotes, jays, golden eagle (at first I thought it was a vulture, huge!), tonnes of bugs, beetles, etc. Sucks that the trail cam didn't work the first two night when the mtn lions were on it. The first night I noticed something out of place under a tree up past the elk. Never noiticed a rock under that tree...twas a cougar waiting for it to get dark enough to feel comfortable coming so close to the house. I didn't realize the elk was there as it was behind a bush between me and the house.

Second night I went out around 3:30 am. So dark the night vision scope wasn't showing much...took the Maglite out and slowly move the beam to the carcass...and a BIG freaking cat was on it having a late night snack. Coyotes were just over a little rise yipping and barking very annoyed that their dinner was being eaten.

Name:  golden.PNG
Views: 658
Size:  624.1 KB

Saw a little fisher eating by the side of the Truckee river this morning.
    Wife: What do fisher's eat.
    Goat: What do you think they eat.
    Wife: I don't know, I've never seen one.
    Goat: Fish
    Turns out fishers don't eat fish. They eat pretty much anything else.

Guess what, pine martens don't pines and wolverines don't eat wolves. Adam got the names all wrong.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Guess what, pine martens don't pines and wolverines don't eat wolves. Adam got the names all wrong.
    Woodchucks don't chuck wood.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Woodchucks don't chuck wood.
    Get the fuck out of here.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Like grass thru a goose.
    watch out for snakes

Took off the top row of chickens like scum on a Louisiana swamp.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

One of my neighbors got this pic of a lion eating a raccoon it had just taken down. Haven't seen one around my place...yet.

Attachment 210767
    The Sheriff is near!

here's a fatty bear man from earlier this summer- bear equivalent of genghis khan perhaps?
    he almost looks fake

Name:	IMG_5614.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	210886
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    here's a fatty bear man from earlier this summer- bear equivalent of genghis khan perhaps?
    he almost looks fake

Name:	IMG_5614.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	210886
    He's huge! - friend of mine & I were hiking Darby early a few weeks ago and encountered a grizzly on the trail. He was young, and not with sow anymore thank god, and unconcerned about us. It was still unnerving to be that close (maybe 8-10 yds) and he was big enough to do damage. We had bear spray and were ready. After that, I have no desire to encounter a larger bear.

What shocked me on the hike down was how many people don't carry bear spray.

I agree. I have never seen a Griz. want my first sighting to be bincoular distance.

A couple of kids in the Winds asked me if my bear spray was oxygen. Totally unconcerned with bears. I'm the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

In the 25+ years working in the woods of the interior of BC, I can count the near meetings with griz on two hands. I have never had a bad encounter with them. Keep my head up, read the terrain and act unthreatening when encountered. This includes sow with cubs, and having a (trained) dog usually at my side. Black bear have caused me way more angst than griz. Admittedly a sample of one, but encountering a griz is not one of my phobias. I do take extra care when hunting, on the coast and/or near salmon streams. Oh, and bear spray is limited effect on griz - 50/50 chance you just piss em off. Knowledge of their sensitive terrain, avoidance, and poise/presence of mind when encounter occurs are your best defence.