Name:	IMG_1813.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	401.5 KB 
ID:	301072
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    No farther than the local furrier.
    Yah, what are bobcat pelts going for this year? Better not tell the wife, she may rethink the trap and release thing.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Attachment 299859

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

"Oh he seems reasonable. Where is that selfie stick..."

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Yah, what are bobcat pelts going for this year? Better not tell the wife, she may rethink the trap and release thing.
    Prime western lynx and bobcat were averaging almost $400USD this past Feb auction.

Seriously though, live trap and relocate is not a kindness on most animals. The animal is being placed in another's territory, with unknown food sources and cover/escape terrain. And winter is approaching. Chances are it will get picked off by a larger predator, at the least it will fight with the locals and suffer starvation. Even with regional biologists, CO's and trappers to consult, relocating is a tough biz. Relocating is for human sensitivities, not for the benefit of the animal.

Prime western lynx and bobcat were averaging almost $400USD this past Feb auction.

Seriously though, live trap and relocate is not a kindness on most animals. The animal is being placed in another's territory, with unknown food sources and cover/escape terrain. And winter is approaching. Chances are it will get picked off by a larger predator, at the least it will fight with the locals and suffer starvation. Even with regional biologists, CO's and trappers to consult, relocating is a tough biz. Relocating is for human sensitivities, not for the benefit of the animal.
    I know what the reality is. I also have a good spot picked out. It's also lucky it's not a coyote.

Tundra swans on Donner Lake. The large flock was in the middle of the lake about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday morning 4 stragglers were right in front of our house.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030105.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	749.7 KB 
ID:	307428

Name:	P1030118.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1,005.3 KB 
ID:	307429

mountain lion hanging around Jackson. I'm sure all the Jackson locals saw this but that tail!

https://buckrail.com/snapped-mountai...verik-station/

it looks like it's ready to slap someone with that paw. cranky cats
    skid luxury

Name:	870B1227-CA1E-4B31-B92B-5DF98476A062.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	776.2 KB 
ID:	309793
    watch out for snakes

ScottyB always having a good time
    that rib cage looks freshly chewed!
    skid luxury

Wildlife

Anyone know if bobcats dig through snow hunting for gophers? I’ve been seeing what I think are cat tracks (and coyote tracks) on our Nordic trail. There have been multiple digs around our loops. Urine with blood too.

This AM 20 feet from the house is a fresh dig, cat tracks (I think) and a frozen gopher carcass.

Or is it coyote digs and bobcat coming later?

Pics forthcoming.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

The little turd looking thing is a frozen gopher carcass:

Name:	IMG_8076.jpeg 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	312257

The snow has a thin crust and our coyote size dog punches through. So lighter weight cat tracks:

Name:	IMG_8077.jpeg 
Size:	491.6 KB 
ID:	312258

Just back from a lap and these tracks are all over:

Name:	IMG_8093.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	421.4 KB 
ID:	312259

The above tracks lead to this dig hole:

Name:	IMG_8094.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	312260

(BTW, the lightbulb went off SB, after reading babybear's post. I had realized the ScottyB connection.)
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Alpinord those are canine tracks. Presumably coyote unless your neighbor's Jack Russel has been tearing around the neighborhood. The attached photo is for wolf va cougar but the same characteristics are true for coyote vs bobcat.

I can also see claw marks in the photo of the tracks after your walk.

Wildlife

Name:	IMG_8079.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	312284

Our dog was in the middle of the dig photo which throws a wrench into the mix. None of the prints I saw had obvious claw marks.

And as mentioned above, I’ve also been seeing normal canine/coyote tracks. We have seen a bobcat multiple times over the years in the neighborhood. I almost hit one with my bike once. I’m not sure I’ve seen these dig holes before. There are a good handful around the track/field.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Just back from a lap and these tracks are all over:

Name:	IMG_8093.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	421.4 KB 
ID:	312259
    To my eye it looks like there are claw marks on the lowest two tracks in this photo. I agree on your most recent photo there do not appear to be visible claw marks and the lowest track looks more like a cat to me. It's hard to tell with all the surface hoar.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    To my eye it looks like there are claw marks on the lowest two tracks in this photo. I agree on your most recent photo there do not appear to be visible claw marks and the lowest track looks more like a cat to me. It's hard to tell with all the surface hoar.
    FTR to the right is a ski pole plant mark.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

this is dope- not the crashing through the window, but a 30 yo eagle.
    wonder if this is the same eagle we all frequently see sitting atop the power poles on the way to the village?
    https://buckrail.com/bald-eagle-cras...ckson-bedroom/

JACKSON, Wyo. — An aging bald eagle is on the mend after crashing through a double-paned window at a residence in Jackson yesterday.

Teton Raptor Center responded to the incident after Reed Moulton called Game and Fish to say an eagle had just crash-landed into his bedroom. It was so loud, Moulton said he thought a tree had fallen on his house. Initially, the eagle looked dead, but after a few minutes it stood up and perched on his fly-tying desk.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department referred the case to the Teton Raptor Center. TRC Rehabilitation Director Meghan Warren arrived and captured the bird. It was still alert enough that it fought back, sending shards of glass flying. As the eagle was taken outside to the car, another eagle, presumably its mate, called overhead.

The rehabilitation team at Teton Raptor Center evaluated the injured eagle and found trauma and lacerations to both feet, both wings, and a minor abrasion on the right eye. The eagle was also exhibiting signs of a concussion. Following examination, the eagle was treated with anti-inflammatory medication, subcutaneous fluids, and placed in TRC’s oxygen chamber to recuperate. A blood sample was tested and ruled out lead toxicity.

While looking over the raptor, Warren noticed something else: a USGS leg band with a number on it. Anne Hare, a TRC Ambassador, noted the number and reported it to TRC’s Research Director, Bryan Bedrosian, who submitted the number to the USGS Bird Banding Lab. At first, Bedrosian received an error message stating the number was either incorrect or that the eagle was unusually old.

The eagle turned out to, indeed, be 30 years old. Banded in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem in the spring of 1989, this makes it one of the oldest eagles documented in the wild, but not the oldest the Raptor Center has ever seen.
    In 2016, TRC admitted another ancient eagle that was injured by electrocution on an electrical pole in Jackson. That eagle was 34 years old and the oldest bald eagle ever documented west of the Mississippi River. The oldest eagle ever documented in the U.S. was a bald eagle of at least 38 years that was struck by a vehicle in New York City.

The average lifespan for a Bald Eagle is approximately 20 years in the wild.
    skid luxury

I started having to wear glasses at 30...just saying.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Speaking of bird strikes, this little fellow flew into the wall of a glass house of a friend of mine in The Netherlands. No comment about age or nearsightedness.

Name:	IMG-20200125-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	312985

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Alpinord, are there foxes in the area? I've never experienced a feline digging like that; cats will scrape surface litter to cover a kill but unless the ground is very soft, they aren't known for digging into the earth proper. Both coyotes and foxes have no qualms rooting out a gopher, however.

Alpinord, are there foxes in the area? I've never experienced a feline digging like that; cats will scrape surface litter to cover a kill but unless the ground is very soft, they aren't known for digging into the earth proper. Both coyotes and foxes have no qualms rooting out a gopher, however.
    There are rare fox sightings and I was wondering that too. Looking at these animal track images, I haven't seen fox tracks. Coyotes are out all of the time.

Earlier this week, after more snow there were more tracks back to the hole. They are smaller than our dog's and coyote tracks and looked like bob cat tracks (no obvious claw marks) as shown below. During the 1 mile loop around the field, I crossed what looked to be the same tracks at least 20 times, along with some coyote tracks. Directly across the field, there were a bunch together like either there were more than one animal or it hung out for a while.

Name:  49b6afdaf19c235f70a867ad1144ecff--bobcat-tracks-mountain-lion.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  30.5 KB
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

We took a bored as shit drive into GTNP. Saw this badger.

Name:	DB88CC4A-CBC4-46A0-9D8D-42A38D0FE4D6.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	692.9 KB 
ID:	325360

He certainly hadn’t missed any meals.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Not sure if this will show up but mom and dad looking out for five new goslings. They just had a dip and started napping. Did not realize mature geese use their neck so much when swimming.