Page 49 of 79 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1973

Thread: Wildlife

Update: despite multiple sightings by skiers yesterday, the DNR was unable to find him. Zero cell coverage, so skiers would go to trailhead and tell DNR, but by then he was gone.

Every sighting says he is lethargic, walking right up to people crying, and sticking to groomed trails.

Got an email this morning asking for volunteers. DNR is bringing about 50 radios, enough for each trail junction. I’m grabbing my skinny sticks and heading there now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

good on you Harry, best of luck today

Yup, thanks Harry. That would be such a sad ending for the little guy. I hope he is found today.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Birds are the worst
    I worked on fishing boats in the '70's on George's Banks. One fine summer day the USCG put out a few radio alerts about two bodies adrift in the area from a small vessel that had struck a bouy in the fog. Within an hour my Captain gives a yell to clear the deck as he sees a body.

I look and see a swarm of sea gulls ahead and nothing else. We stood by with gaffs and as we approached the gulls scattered enough to expose the body floating in a life jacket with the eyes, most of the nose, cheeks, and all the soft parts of the jaw and throat missing. An image of death on the ocean that still haunts me. My old Captain had seen bodies a drift during WW II and knew what the bird flock concentration looked like.

Once we got the body on deck the face was covered with a slicker to spare others the sight when we got to the pier to unload.

UPDATE: BEAR CAPTURED

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    UPDATE: BEAR CAPTURED

Thanks for you efforts Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Best possible outcome. Thanks for the update and your efforts Harry!

Nice work Harry! Hope that guy gets some help

Sorry for no detail’s earlier, I was tired when I got home.

Anyway, what a great experience. Now I understand why people volunteer for local SAR teams, or volunteer to work at food pantries, or volunteer to coach T-ball, or any kind of volunteer work. This was an emotionally enriching day. After 2 years of avoiding everyone, my soul needed this.

Plan worked like clockwork. Volunteers were assigned a radio and a trail junction. I was assigned junction A5, so I loaded my pack with a puffy, pac boots, a headlamp, a camp chair, and lunch.

DNR used a pole with a lasso on the end. Cinched it down when they got it around his head, then put him in a cage.

DNR turned him over to a non-profit bear rescue org who will get him the medical attention he needs. Then he will be turned back over to the DNR to be released back into the wild.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Great work by you and the rest of the team! Thanks for the rest of the bear story.

Anyway, what a great experience. Now I understand why people volunteer for local SAR teams, or volunteer to work at food pantries, or volunteer to coach T-ball, or any kind of volunteer work. This was an emotionally enriching day. After 2 years of avoiding everyone, my soul needed this.

Plan worked like clockwork. Volunteers were assigned a radio and a trail junction. I was assigned junction A5, so I loaded my pack with a puffy, pac boots, a headlamp, a camp chair, and lunch.

DNR used a pole with a lasso on the end. Cinched it down when they got it around his head, then put him in a cage.

DNR turned him over to a non-profit bear rescue org who will get him the medical attention he needs. Then he will be turned back over to the DNR to be released back into the wild.

Did you spot the bear and call the cavalry?

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    I worked on fishing boats in the '70's on George's Banks. One fine summer day the USCG put out a few radio alerts about two bodies adrift in the area from a small vessel that had struck a bouy in the fog. Within an hour my Captain gives a yell to clear the deck as he sees a body.

I look and see a swarm of sea gulls ahead and nothing else. We stood by with gaffs and as we approached the gulls scattered enough to expose the body floating in a life jacket with the eyes, most of the nose, cheeks, and all the soft parts of the jaw and throat missing. An image of death on the ocean that still haunts me. My old Captain had seen bodies a drift during WW II and knew what the bird flock concentration looked like.

Once we got the body on deck the face was covered with a slicker to spare others the sight when we got to the pier to unload.
    Holy sh*t dude, that's awful.

Redneck scum around here kill ravens and hang them off fence posts and such. The idea is that it will be a deterrent for other raven to come around. The raven's poke the eyes out newborn calfs. So the calf is not just blind but has 2 empty eye sockets as well. Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Did you spot the bear and call the cavalry?

No, my assigned position was very quiet. Every once in awhile a skate skier would glide by. I heard all the action via radio though. The bear was caught several miles away from me. I did see him in the cage at the trailhead. No pics because I felt sorry for the little fella and it did not seem appropriate to take pics.

Glad it worked out for the bear. Hurts my heart when they’re desperate enough to cry out and approach humans

Nice work Harry
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Props Harry, and

...No pics because I felt sorry for the little fella and it did not seem appropriate to take pics.

total respect!

Sweet Harry!

A Steller sea eagle has been hanging out up in Maine. We almost took a ride up but realized it would be kinda batshit crazy to do so...needle in a haystack. Would be cool to see one.

https://bangordailynews.com/2022/01/...ck-joam40zk0w/

https://www.boothbayregister.com/art...-region/156087

How can I possibly have used up my free articles from the Bangor Daily News?

Did you try clicking into the Boothbay Register?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I took a shuttle from SLC to Park City last week and the driver was telling us about the wildlife bridge at Parleys Summit. Here's a video compilation of various animals crossing. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by The AD; 01-24-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Very cool. Reminds me of a compilation from a trail camera in Banff I saw a few years ago. Found it..... Multi-use!

trail cam compilations are my favorite.
    saw this bald eagle this morning
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4739.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	402708
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Did you try clicking into the Boothbay Register?
    I'm saving my free articles in the Boothbay Register for something more important, like the next murder in Cabot Cove. (Yes I did. I just think it odd that I've read that many articles in the Bangor Daily News.)

They'd get a lot more animals on that wildlife bridge if they got rid of the melodramatic music.