Page 35 of 80 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildlife

Yeah I've seen him hunting the small birds that nest in the neighbors hedge recently. I'm under no illusions here.

No pic but saw an otter in Columbia river from the bridge up to KH.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

From this weekend's exploration. Was eyeing up this log as a spot to cross this gully. Then I noticed a ton of flies swarming at the bottom. After a couple seconds staring down I noticed legs sticking out of the brush pile. Oh crap, only one thing will cover up a deer like that. Checked around for a hidden kitty then got the hell out of there! The kill was probably less than a day old.

On the other side looking to pick up the trail I came across 50+ ft of drag marks.

Yikes. Luckily kitty was fat and probably napping. Would rather be there then than two days before.

That is wild!

On the N. edge of my neighborhood:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210418_130258001[68].jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	372212

Left: Northbound moose [adult cow]

Center: Southbound wolf

Right: My outbound #44 Scarpa

Moose tracks were there when I passed outbound a couple hours before, the 5" wide wolf tracks were not...

Is your wolverine still lurking around?

that deer carcass is terrifying. a lot of my time on long rides is spent thinking how I would fight off a mtn lion. more than likely I'd be their vampire bait before I even knew it ((shudder))
    love the moose and wolf tracks too
    saw this buddy the other day by Pilgrim Crk- (pic of a pic)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	824DEF28-8CC4-42A8-809C-06149C111AA5.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	628.8 KB 
ID:	372241
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    a lot of my time on long rides is spent thinking how I would fight off a mtn lion. more than likely I'd be their vampire bait before I even knew it ((shudder))
    i've thought about this a good bit as well. i don't think it would go well for either of us.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Is your wolverine still lurking around?
    Q'aviq sez "Happy 420!"

The hooligan are about to kick off their run. There are some sea-run Dollies and steelhead around too. The sockeye will start up the creek next month, about the time the spruce trees pollinate.

The brownies are about to wake up from hibernation in their dens 1000' above treeline, and begin to look for winterkill in terrain traps and moose meadows, until the skunk cabbage and bluejoint grass starts sprouting. The boars will dig out of their caves a couple weeks before sows, sows with yearling cubs, and sows with coys.
    Blackies too - The black bears who slept in and let the brown bears find their dens have been genetically removed from the Kenai a long time ago...This upcoming week of sunshine and 50s may sound reveille to half the bears in the K-Penn.

Guy was mauled to death near West Yellowstone a couple days ago while fishing. Inadvertently got near a grizzly's covered moose carcass.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Guy was mauled to death near West Yellowstone a couple days ago while fishing. Inadvertently got near a grizzly's covered moose carcass.
    Saw that, figured the bear woke up early, which is rough on a grizz. Running out of fat early wakes them up and forces them to hunt or die, as there's no green anything yet @8000' in Yellowstone.

Had a herd of between 40 and 45 elk grazing in my yard yesterday evening. Looks like things are just starting to green up in the valley bottom and there was some new growth to nibble. Should have taken a photo, but I suppose I was too busy enjoying the spectacle to care to preserve it anywhere except in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Saw that, figured the bear woke up early, which is rough on a grizz. Running out of fat early wakes them up and forces them to hunt or die, as there's no green anything yet @8000' in Yellowstone.
    Yeah, sounds like an aggressive bear because it repeatedly charged the SAR members until they killed it. The guy had deployed his bear spray too but supposedly evidence showed he may have been surprised from behind.

Been a bad week for West Yellowstone, there was a murder/suicide a couple days ago very near this same spot. Those people came down from BillIings after killing somebody there. WTF

Guy survived prolonged multiple surgeries at EIRMC only to suffer a massive postop stroke. Friend of a friend, heck of a photographer. RIP.

Went and visited some silly critters this morning.

Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    FUCK. I knew the guy.

Not real well, first name basis only. Met him at this exact same fishing hole quite a few years ago. Bakers Hole is my favorite spot to fish, he was there all the time. We are both solitary people, we would see each other fishing, nod or wave, and go our separate ways. Could have easily been me.

RIP brother.

Edited : took out some personal info out of respect for his family.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Harry; 04-21-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    The videos from this guys wildlife camera are great to watch.

Here's a ruffled grouse doing it's mating-courtship display.

And check out this black bear bathing on a warm autumn day, notice he even washes behind his ear for a brief moment.

“The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Q'aviq sez "Happy 420!"

The hooligan are about to kick off their run. There are some sea-run Dollies and steelhead around too. The sockeye will start up the creek next month, about the time the spruce trees pollinate.

The brownies are about to wake up from hibernation in their dens 1000' above treeline, and begin to look for winterkill in terrain traps and moose meadows, until the skunk cabbage and bluejoint grass starts sprouting. The boars will dig out of their caves a couple weeks before sows, sows with yearling cubs, and sows with coys.
    Blackies too - The black bears who slept in and let the brown bears find their dens have been genetically removed from the Kenai a long time ago...This upcoming week of sunshine and 50s may sound reveille to half the bears in the K-Penn.
    Solid reporting highangle Attenborough.

cross post from the Oregon thread

raven hazing golden

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    cross post from the Oregon thread

raven hazing golden

I love ravens. Probably my favorite birds. Goldens are magnificent but there’s something about ravens. Just yesterday there was one loitering over us on top of Wenatchee Mtn. It had a piece of paper in it’s beak. I wish I would have taken a picture but I was too busy watching it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was watching some show the other day and it talked about how Ravens aren’t good hunters but they are so smart they just taunt other animals after they catch food and then steal it.

This Raven was fucking with an Osprey that had a fish. Osprey got annoyed and flew away, Raven grabbed the fish. Haha.

Pretty cool birds.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I love ravens. Probably my favorite birds. Goldens are magnificent but there’s something about ravens. Just yesterday there was one loitering over us on top of Wenatchee Mtn. It had a piece of paper in it’s beak. I wish I would have taken a picture but I was too busy watching it.
    ravens are pretty cool but i have recently taken a liking to geese. they just walk around honking and be general badasses. and they are not to be fucked with.
    swing your fucking sword.

Geese suck.

They ruin nice lake beaches out here by shitting a fuck ton all over the grass and sand.

Geese are bluffing bullies and shit machines. The exception might be the Snow Goose, they are bad ass. The avian equivalent of an A1 Skyraider. Very sturdy birds, I remember hunting them in the bay and you were sure you shot one but they’d keep flying. I shot one once as they were flying over and thought I missed, turned around to watch the next wave come in and all of a sudden the water exploded right next to the boat. I guess I hit him and he kept flying until he was right over the boat. Scared the shit out of us. After that I started watching them after I shot and waited for them to start faltering, sometimes they would make it a couple hundred yards before they augered in.

Still prefer the Ravens, they will intentionally interact with you.