Page 9 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    here's a fatty bear man from earlier this summer- bear equivalent of genghis khan perhaps?
    he almost looks fake
    Attachment 210886
    Those front claws are amazing....and amazingly frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I agree. I have never seen a Griz. want my first sighting to be bincoular distance.

A couple of kids in the Winds asked me if my bear spray was oxygen. Totally unconcerned with bears. I'm the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    We did some time in the Sawtooths, camping, hiking, fishing. Did a long day fishing through a series of little lakes, getting back towards the campsite late afternoon. The trail wound through mainly fields but an occasional bend into trees, some of which were thick with a steep slope to one side.

Hair on the back of my neck went up every time I went through those areas. Whistling past the bear hideouts making noise...even with my pistol, spare mags and bear spray it was scary. I am surprised how people can be so ignorant at times.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    In the 25+ years working in the woods of the interior of BC, I can count the near meetings with griz on two hands. I have never had a bad encounter with them. Keep my head up, read the terrain and act unthreatening when encountered. This includes sow with cubs, and having a (trained) dog usually at my side. Black bear have caused me way more angst than griz. Admittedly a sample of one, but encountering a griz is not one of my phobias. I do take extra care when hunting, on the coast and/or near salmon streams. Oh, and bear spray is limited effect on griz - 50/50 chance you just piss em off. Knowledge of their sensitive terrain, avoidance, and poise/presence of mind when encounter occurs are your best defence.
    I guess what amazed me that day was how unaware of their surroundings most folks were. Sure, it's a major tourist trail, but thats no excuse. I mostly worry about surprising a moose while out hiking. I've heard way more moose stories than bear. When I was over in Weber Creek area the next weekend, I was hyper aware because of the creek, thick willows and knowing that it's a big black bear area. Never saw any wildlife or people which was nice.

Seeing the bear was really cool, but I just don't want to meet up with a big one that close if it can be avoided. I'm glad we didn't surprise him. It definitely won't keep meet off the trails. I go back and forth on the issue, but right now I don't carry a firearm when I'm out or practice enough to be comfortable carrying. So, I'm most likely to just piss off a bear with either a pistol or bear spray, but I'd rather have bear spray than nothing. Though there is a holster than Leavenworth sells that I have been eying if I ever make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    In the 25+ years working in the woods of the interior of BC, I can count the near meetings with griz on two hands. I have never had a bad encounter with them. Keep my head up, read the terrain and act unthreatening when encountered. This includes sow with cubs, and having a (trained) dog usually at my side. Black bear have caused me way more angst than griz. Admittedly a sample of one, but encountering a griz is not one of my phobias. I do take extra care when hunting, on the coast and/or near salmon streams. Oh, and bear spray is limited effect on griz - 50/50 chance you just piss em off. Knowledge of their sensitive terrain, avoidance, and poise/presence of mind when encounter occurs are your best defence.
    Link? My understanding is that bear spray is 90 percent effective on all species of Bear found in North America. More effective than firearms which are said to be 50 to 80 percent effective.

I don't own a handgun that would be effective against a bear but even if I did I wouldn't want to lug one around on a 40 mile backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I go back and forth on the issue, but right now I don't carry a firearm when I'm out or practice enough to be comfortable carrying. So, I'm most likely to just piss off a bear with either a pistol or bear spray
    More likely to piss them of and get hurt with a gun no? According to my research.

That has been my understanding too.

McPronghorn vs Maypronghorn
    skid luxury

How do you post video to this fucker now? Goddammit dickeads changed everything!

having it be on youtube already is the easiest way

edit oh fuck I didnt look at the poster. are people going to die?
    skid luxury

We're all going to die someday.

YouTube, huh? Well, here's a still:

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post

Welcome back, and try no to violate your parole this time. (Unless you are a Trump and Arpio supporter and can count on a pardon.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Wink

I've missed your take on life Jer. Glad to have a fellow critter lover back. You still making skis by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

WTF happened to those poor squirrels? I blame Scott Walker's DNR.

https://youtu.be/Ko1ihoERlds

Here you go:

Cute little buggers.
    Back story?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Cute little buggers.
    Back story?
    I knew this particular pack was denning somewhere in this valley. I had spent the morning on the west side hanging trail cams and in the afternoon I was strolling down a washed out dead end FS road when I rounded a corner and saw an adult wolf drinking from the creek. She immediately bolted and as I was scanning the surrounding area with my camera (the only magnification I had on me) I saw movement on the ridge which was only about 50 yards away. Zoomed in and saw these five playing and the den. I got to about 35 yards, snapped some photos and took some video. I didn't want to upset things so I left after about a minute.

Here's one of the stills:

A couple weeks later I took our videographer back via a much more stealth route to try to get some professional footage, but they'd since moved the pups. They're now hanging out at a rendezvous point about 2 miles to the northeast. We rigged the old den site with trail cams and got some adults as well as tons of deer and this sow with cubs checking out the abandoned den.

Sticking with the wolf theme, saw this fellow last weekend while out bow hunting. It's a cross post from the hunting thread. It's a crappy pic from an iphone through binos at 292 yds.

whoa that wolf is hauling!
    I'm loving everyone's pics

Here's another one of Ms. 399 and a cub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6279.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	212378

Name:	IMG_6280.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	212379
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    whoa that wolf is hauling!
    ...in his dreams.

Sweet griz pics, I have yet to see one in the wild

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

haha I had thought it was in mid-run but then showed to andrew and he immediately noticed it was laying down.
    it's like one of those magic eye posters...

skid luxury

Here's a happy bear enjoying the new snow up on Togwotee pass earlier this week.

skid luxury

Name:	KIMG0018.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	792.8 KB 
ID:	212920

Yogi minus Boo-boo, out for a stroll at the Y/C petting zoo.

There's a pretty cool video of a couple moose going at it near Silverton in this article.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

not my pic, but I live less than a mile from this lucky family

Name:	Lynx-05.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	213146
    article here
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...s-goes-global/