Page 48 of 80 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1977

Thread: Wildlife

They're bad ass little birds, this one hung out all day snoozing very contently and the girls stayed away. I finally evicted it this evening into a tree outside. Later when I closed up the run, it was back inside looking for mice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07672 (3).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,019.0 KB 
ID:	400475

Name:	DSC07675 (2).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	971.9 KB 
ID:	400476

Name:	DSC07682 (2).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	400478

Name:	DSC07688 (2).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	974.1 KB 
ID:	400479
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07681 (2).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	400473  

Sounds like a good mouser, so let him hang. Hens don't seem to mind.

He's a cute little bugger. We used to great horned owls roost and regurgitate owl pellets in our pine trees before the fire. Now my tallest tree is 10'. I miss the hooting all night.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Great pics Mr. I Skied...

Size difference with the hen is pretty impressive. Surprised the hen doesn't seem to care much!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post

Name:	DSC07675 (2).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	971.9 KB 
ID:	400476
    Great picture! They readily use nest boxes and we had a pair nesting in a nest box in a pine last spring. The young ones are very funny--they look very different than the parents.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Seconded, great pic!
    I still call it The Jake.

Wait until that owl teaches the chickens to eat mice. Not sure I'd want to eat those eggs.

Oh, chickens know how to eat mice. They'd eat you if they were big enough.

Descended from dinosaurs, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Great picture! They readily use nest boxes and we had a pair nesting in a nest box in a pine last spring. The young ones are very funny--they look very different than the parents.
    Awesome, I'm going to build some and see what happens.

Oh, chickens know how to eat mice. They'd eat you if they were big enough.

Descended from dinosaurs, ya know.
    I never new that. Thanks for the info. How do hens eat mice without teeth.
    A lot of dinosaurs were vegetarians you know.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How do hens eat mice without teeth
    Well, if it's a flock it turns into a game of chicken football, where they all chase the one with the mouse and take it away and get chased, and all the while shaking and slamming the mouse into the ground and tearing it apart while still alive with their beaks. The mouse will usually shriek in terror until dead and then eaten. If it's just one chicken who catches a mouse, you don't have the football game, but everything else happens.

Chickens are not nice people.

^^^ My dogs and cats have always given my chickens a wide berth. Birds are little T-Rexes who think they’re still huge.

I still have nightmares of when I was about 6 or so, caught a literal bucket of frogs in the pond (which was in the chicken coop), and tripped exiting the coop. Those feathered freaks swarmed me and every last frog was consumed in the most horrible fashion as described above. I still feel that guilt.

Aunt and Uncle had broiler breeder farm, with 7 barns with over 10k birds per barn. Some barns were known to have viscious birds such that you wouldn't go into a barn alone to collect the eggs. One rooster for every 10 hens, and they each had their territory. Mean bastards, but a good punt into a few territories away was poetic justice. They could peck right through a gum boot, never mind their spurs. Heaven help a rodent that got caught in the coop.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I still have nightmares of when I was about 6 or so, caught a literal bucket of frogs in the pond (which was in the chicken coop), and tripped exiting the coop. Those feathered freaks swarmed me and every last frog was consumed in the most horrible fashion as described above. I still feel that guilt.
    You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the frogs.

And you think if you save poor Catherine, you could make them stop, don't you? You think if Catherine lives, you won't wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the frogs.

And you think if you save poor Catherine, you could make them stop, don't you? You think if Catherine lives, you won't wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the frogs.
    I don't know. i don't know.

Tell me his name!

Brutal.

Birds are the worst

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    cats are the worst
    fify

Awesome, I'm going to build some and see what happens.
    Dimensions for them on the interwebz. Mine was up for a year before it got used last year, so don't despair if they don't use it right away. They nest really early in the spring and they seem to like pine trees.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I don't know. i don't know.

Tell me his name!
    Ribbit.

Name:	20210720_092748.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1,019.5 KB 
ID:	400700

Wildlife

This is a sad story. The local Nordic trail network I frequent reported today that this little guy was crying like a baby and approaching skiers on the groomed trails. Clearly in distress. They asked everyone to stay off the trails while the DNR tries to dart him and get a vet to help the little guy. I am hoping for a good outcome.

Name:  Image1642472067.070239.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  87.9 KB

Not my pic
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ouch! That is so very sad, and would likely result in a very hard death without intervention. Interesting as both should be fast asleep right now. Maybe a young bear that didn't go to bed with a full belly, woke up looking for a snack and sniffed out a snoozing quillpig?

I've found a few porci death scenes in the winter over the years, wolverine are great at sniffing out the porci winter dens, digging them up and feasting. No idea how many quills they might get stuck with, but they wouldn't likely give a fuck regardless.

Tough lesson to learn, Hope he survives to not make the same mistake. Surprisingly a lot of these guys survive. Hope he is young enough to still be hangin' with mom.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Moose sighting just under the adventure course on the beginner hill at JHMR

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.