Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Workwear Pants

A lot of folks I know in Southeast Alaska wear them.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

Surprised nobody has mention tin pants yet...
    As with most Filson stuff, I assume there version is great, but are tin pants to be found for under $100 let alone $200? http://www.filson.com/oil-finish-double-tin-pants.html

Addition to the list, post-OP purchase: you can go for the expensive euro proprietary poly blend trousers and be the real talk of the town... (I have heard good things on their pants) - http://www.fjallraven.us/collections/mens-pants

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    My dad wore tin pants when he ran fire crews and was logging out of the Darrington Ranger District back in the 50s. I don't think anyone wears them anymore. I think by the time the 60s rolled around he was wearing Key Logger Dungarees.
    Out on my tips here in terms of firefighting but you mentioned tin pants, are these the same type of clothing that Filson makes? If so, they are burly as shit and I have a few pieces. I find all the stuff they make needs to be worn below 20* otherwise I get too hot.

here up narth yer Carhartts are usually around 65$ list and there ain't too many places to buy clothes so its usually marks workwearworld (owned by Canadian tire) cuz there is one in every small town

the marks brand work pants are a Carhartt copy but a little cheaper and wear just as well

up here there arent too many lumber sexuals like you see in the big city say down town Vancouver where some men wear carhart/beard/drink craftbrew but don't know how to drive a stick or change a tire or sharpen a chainsaw

I Buy a new pair of Carharts for them special occasions ... usually when I get invited to a wedding
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    As with most Filson stuff, I assume there version is great, but are tin pants to be found for under $100 let alone $200? http://www.filson.com/oil-finish-double-tin-pants.html

Addition to the list, post-OP purchase: you can go for the expensive euro proprietary poly blend trousers and be the real talk of the town... (I have heard good things on their pants) - http://www.fjallraven.us/collections/mens-pants
    Will have to check out the euro version...soccer moms go nuts over Finnish butts!

As for Filson, expensive but their motto of Might as well have the best" is spot on. I have a few items that are over 20 years old and just coming into their own.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I Buy a new pair of Carharts for them special occasions ... usually when I get invited to a wedding
    My father in law has dress Carhartts and will wear them to weddings, funerals, and graduations.

That's me right there.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Yeah, that price! They're too expensive to work in.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    My father in law has dress Carhartts and will wear them to weddings, funerals, and graduations.
    yup^^ still in the wedding phase of course the funeral phase is next and then if yer lucky nothing ... everyone you know is dead
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Agreed, despite their longevity. Then again, brit's rhetoric carries truth:

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What pants would an ivy league landscaper wear?

I had an uncle that I never saw in anything other than Dickies coveralls.

You guys are over thinking this. Work pants are anything that you can no longer wear out because people will think you are homeless. That and any uniform pants that you pick up at work that has since fallen off inventory.

carhartt WIP w/ my flannel and crepe soles

Since the OP has ordered his britches, I'm going to indulge in a little thread drift here because your post reminded me of something. All through the 80s and 90s I wore a full brim hardhat on fires and caught a certain amount of shit for it. These days every hotshot crew wears them.

I had some of those heavy-duty brown Kevlar/nomex fire pants that I liked. Much burlier than the green ones.

Did your suspenders have "Logger's World" printed on them?
    I lost a pair of "John Day Rigging" ones and it's been plain ever since.

I as well have dress carhartts that I wear to weddings, funerals, and graduations. Fuck it.

Carhart while working on the boat in ak... double front pants and I love their insulated bibs.... the only way to go.

I like arborwear, better fit and they seem to last longer than modern Carhartts.

Just ordered some shorts from http://truewerktools.com/, we will see how those are.

Arborwear is nice.

Mountain Khakis & Mountain Hardware, too.
    However, it must be on sale, as that stuff isn't cheap!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If you really tear through pants and you don't mind looking like a scrub, tear mender is the real answer. At least half my pant have glue on patches. I've been at the game so long I pretty much have all color match patches.
    Guess I could have matched the colors up a little better
    Name:  Work_Patch.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  346.7 KB

My work pants experiences:

I will never use Carhartts for work again, threadbare knees and ankles within 4 months guaranteed, the washed ones even less. I do still buy the heavy duty single knee dungarees for causal use, even then I get less than a year.

Arc'teryx = shit. Fabric wore through along stitching on knees within 2 months.

Kuhl: same, but more widespread all over pants. (Guy at store called them "Carhartt killers"... OK)

Patagonia: their problem is they change up their styles all the time. I had an old pair of their Ironworker pants that were fairly indestructible but my ex made off with them. More recently I had a pair of I don't know what model but they were 100% polyamid (cordura) and after 4 years showed hardly any signs of wear, I finally retired them after the pockets blew out internally for the second time.

Right now I'm in Bjornkladders, my oldest pair is about 3 years old and is starting to look a little rough but I've been really happy with them. Padded knees, cordura where they need it, fabric is much softer than Carhartt but many times more durable.

I'm going to try Blaklader next, they have one style that's $200+ but if they last 6 times longer than carhartt why the hell not?
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

Found a pair of the single pants at their outlet store for $50
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    Padded knees?
    I worked on this one job where the contractor, a BIG guy with a southern accent, would call those "hinder bandit" pants ( NTTAWWT )

"Hey Bill, you wearin them Hinder Bandit pants again!?"

I think in the old days "tin pants" was a generic term for waxed cotton tin cloth. That stuff is great working in the woods in a wet climate. We used to have a couple waxed cotton ponchos and a couple of cruisers in the mud room at my grandparents house growing up. It was always wet there, they lived between Sedro Wooley and Arlington. It's too warm in the summer and unnecessary in a dry climate.

Workwear Pants

Hinder Bandit... I can only imagine what that means. What I couldn't imagine is having pants without knee pads. After 20+ years in HVAC my knees can't take any more.
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

for "normal" waist sizes, so like between a mens 30" and a 38" the selection of work pants at good wills/thrift shops is pretty shitty whenever I look , and never $3. Maybe in rich suburbs its better?

STP has a good stock seasonally of Carhartts; farm supply stores have decent sales sometimes, Filson outlets can have some screaming deals, strangely even for Black Friday.