Thread: Iceland

Iceland

My GF wants to bring cash question is do we convert it here to Icelandic króna or Euros? I'm using a CC with no fees. Also will my phone charger work in Iceland?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Use cc everywhere for everything. Almost cashless. I changes $50 in the airport and 2 weeks later had $25. Bought rum in the duty free
    Btw booze is very expensive. Buy at the airport duty free when you get there.
    Phone charger works but you need the two post adapter. Not US flat prong style. Enjoy. Great place
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

You'll need an adapter for your phone charger, and it's almost always better value to use your ATM card to withdraw money from an ATM in the foreign country. And if your credit card doesn't impose foreign transaction fees, use that a lot.

Money changing is easy at KEF. Do it right out of "customs" aka the "happy to Iceland, have a nice visit stand". I like some cash just 'cause you never know. Maybe a hundred bucks or so. But CCs are taken everywhere. ATMs are plentiful too for that matter. The only common challenge is gas stations. Lots have problems with non-chipped cards (or cards without PINs) out at the pumps proper. And almost all have a sort of weird protocol. They can be a comedy of errors if a gas station is full of tourists (extra hint - their pumps often blow - use the plastic glove dispenser so you don't smell like petrol all day). The gas station thing is probably about the only time cash could be be handy as a backup. But yeah - even the parking meters in Reykjavik do CCs. If you try, you could probably never touch any cash the whole time.

Buy adapters in bulk for cheap on Amazon if they are available. Most electronics need no voltage regulation, so the adapters are probably all you need.

That's about it on that front.

Recently saw a video piece on the news about how the country is being spoiled by tourism. Too many tourists everywhere. So, try to travel a little further when going to see the sights, away from the cheap and popular package sites, I guess. Great country, I hear. Pretty women.

Iceland is awesome. Have fun!

P.S. Agree with those that have said cash is not needed. I don't recall using cash at all there.

Send/post pics of the pretty women