Question Helmet Recycling

I have a few old helmets that I don't feel comfortable selling or giving away (aka they've seen some impacts). If at all possible, I'd like to avoid throwing them in the trash.

I've asked the companies who made my helmets (one Smith and one Giro) and Smith will accept helmets to recycle, but ONLY Smith helmets. Giro has told me to cut the straps off and throw it out (less than ideal).

Do any of you fine people know of some kind of helmet recycling programs that I could use? I'm willing to mail the helmets or I live in the Salt Lake area.

Thank you in advance!

Do what Giro said except put them in the recycling bin. They're foam and plastic, they'll get shredded, separated and reused.

Bonfire starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Do what Giro said except put them in the recycling bin. They're foam and plastic, they'll get shredded, separated and reused.
    just because they're foam and plastic doesn't mean they're recyclable.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    just because they're foam and plastic doesn't mean they're recyclable.
    Trigger warning - your questioning of my logic comes across as a little agressive, I'm pretty offended and won't offer any other advice on this very important topic.

Are the straps recycled separately?

If you're an artist, what about transforming them into high priced functional artwork...a ski helmet fruit bowl perhaps?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Trigger warning - your questioning of my logic comes across as a little agressive, I'm pretty offended and won't offer any other advice on this very important topic.
    Haha. Throw that thing in the recycling bin. Follow up with an ice cold beer. Repeat as needed

Put some filter fabric in them to cover up the vents, add dirt, plant succulents, sell on Etsy, profit.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If you throw it in the recycling bin it'll likely get tossed, just not by you. But if it makes you feel good, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Put some filter fabric in them to cover up the vents, add dirt, plant succulents, sell on Etsy, profit.
    I could actually see some people going for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    If you throw it in the recycling bin it'll likely get tossed, just not by you. But if it makes you feel good, have at it.
    Hmm, isn't this about 40 % of recycling anyways ? In this case just tossing might be less carbon footprint than shipping the unit back to a mfg. Last I checked UPS/Fed-ex/USPS doesn't use a Star Trek transponder. If the op really cares just disassemble the thing and recycle contents appropriately. It's just foam covered in plastic.

1st world problem.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I don't know whether to laugh or bitch slap..

Since you're clearly a chronic masturbator, turn it into a cum bucket.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

how is this even a question?

Name:  d3b7eebe550423932c029e23e37722d0.jpg
Views: 2308
Size:  11.3 KB

Use them to make an Adirondack chair. Or hang them on the wall over your fireplace.

SheJumps is always looking for used helmets. Is it ideal? no but any helmet is better than none. In SLC SheJumps runs a program called SheJumps in the Canyon. They bring up kids from the Boys and Girls Clubs for four consecutive weeks in Feb & March. Alta donates lift tickets, shops donate rental gear, restaurants donate luch and mainly volunteers give lessons. Did it last year for the first time and it was very rewarding. No way most of the kids have any chance to even get into the mountains much less learn to ski. Some pretty cool success stories. Google SheJumps and hook up with one of the local people in SLC. They will take helmets, gloves, goggles most anything you want to donate other than skis and boots.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    SheJumps is always looking for used helmets. Is it ideal? no but any helmet is better than none. In SLC SheJumps runs a program called SheJumps in the Canyon. They bring up kids from the Boys and Girls Clubs for four consecutive weeks in Feb & March. Alta donates lift tickets, shops donate rental gear, restaurants donate luch and mainly volunteers give lessons. Did it last year for the first time and it was very rewarding. No way most of the kids have any chance to even get into the mountains much less learn to ski. Some pretty cool success stories. Google SheJumps and hook up with one of the local people in SLC. They will take helmets, gloves, goggles most anything you want to donate other than skis and boots.
    reminds me--years ago I spent a January at a summer camp near Jackson MI where the Cleveland public schools brought kids for a week of science and nature. The kids from wealthy schools went in fall and spring; in January we got the inner city kids--we had to give them hats, gloves, and scarves. That was a particularly nasty January that year; one night the plywood box with the weather instruments blew away. I never heard a kid complain.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Use them to make an Adirondack chair. Or hang them on the wall over your fireplace.
    maybe a mailbox ?
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Leave it at the resort. It’ll get tossed in a lost and found and maybe someone else will use it....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums