Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Bought it. It's nice. Air suspension still working well at 130,000. I figure when it goes out, just put a 2-3" lift and call it good.

Awesome happy driving. Btw, gamiviti makes an aftermarket rack for it. The gamiviti rack for the 100-series is awesome.

nice score, love mine
    few notes
    it will eat brakes if you drive like an idiot, no biggie if easy on the pedal
    doesnt actually need premium even though lexus says it does, avg 17ish and get 20mpg when i do give it the special sauce on road trips hauling bikes and camping shit
    drivetrain clunk is fairly normal, its the slipjoint, grease a half dozen zerks every other oil change easy peasy
    tsb for dashboard cracks, keep an eye on corners if any cracks develop, usually only issue in hot climates stored outside

my plan is same as yours, lift and toss the bags when they shit out, currently its our nicer car so my better half drives it while i abuse our old hatchback, but when we replace that car with something for her it will become the offroad rig and get some upgrades

Bump. Curious how my Lexus toting dentists and dentist-wannabee's are feeling about their rides. I'm interested in later GX470 and 2010-2013 460s.

With two kids we need to grow up from the Outback - considering GX vs 4Runner for new bigger car. Wife wants (but hasn't driven) a 4Runner. I'm inclined towards a GX based on value for what you pay used (~$20k) and creature comforts that I wouldn't be opposed too. We've driven a Prado on/off road overseas and really liked it. Annual mileage will be limited, maybe 6000-8000/yr, so fuel costs aren't as big of a consideration. Ability for real deal off-roading and complaints about the rear gate aren't biggies. It would putz around town here, do some FS road access and make occasional trips to Utah/CO for camping and biking.

If I don't really care that the 4runner has a bit cheaper operating costs and slightly better offroad capability am I missing anything besides more coins on fuel, higher insurance, and dentist stigma?

I still have mine after 4 years, the air suspension just went at 126k miles. No one in the area will fix it, dealer in IF wants 2k+. For the same money, I'm putting a 3" OME lift on it, 17" fj cruiser steelies, and some all terrains and calling it good. Only other foible I've had is about every 10 starts, the tach reads 500 rpm high. Start it up next time it reads fine. Not bothering to fix that.

Resale, at least here in Jackson, is terrible. Supposedly you can do better on BAT or the like if you want to be patient (probably true but if you are the trade it in three years kinda guy you are going to take a bath). BMW and Mercedes depreciation with Toyota reliability. A good tradeoff assuming you don't give a shit and want to drive it into the ground.

The 4.7 v8 is supposedly the best thing Toyota has made since the 22re. My experience holds true there. It tows my boat great, but I spoiled myself by getting a Tundra also with the 5.7 as the other car.

3rd row seat is a joke even for kids. Stigma is real, but on the plus side all my wife's friends think Im doing much better than I am.
    Live Free or Die

screw lexis, get a solara convertible. Trust me. They love it here!
    "Can't you see..."

Bought mine w 130,000, now at 175,000. Love it. Original airbags still working perfect in the rear. AdironRider - new airpump is like $200 and easy to install yourself. Check https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/120-series-toyotas.207/, and the different facebook groups (GXOR, GXOR-CO, etc.) - lots of DIY step-by-step for we non-dentists that have discovered this sweet vehicle. I destroyed and replaced the stock skid plates with ARB ones. Nearly everything for 4R and FJ Cruisers fit the GX. Mine has 2006 era touchscreen navigation that is horribly dated. It is useful about 1% of the time. Same touchscreen does the HVAC, which is a pain. The non-nav versions were originally cheaper, and now, more desirable.

I laugh at new 4Runners (though they are sweet). Feel like finding this vehicle was like discovering a glitch in the market. I'd buy another today.

Yes, buy the GX, or look for an LX. They are sick.

GX470 is way better than a 4th gen 4Runner, normally in better shape, better maintained, and less expensive. Air suspension in the rear will probably die eventually, and can be replaced with conventional coils and shocks. The multifunction display is something to be careful with, since it does all the HVAC too. Timing belts on 2uz's are recommended every 90-100k, but realistically can last way longer. They tend to die once they get coolant on them. If you wanna live life on the edge, just wait until the water pump gasket starts to weep and then do timing belt and water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Also, I'm not sure about the gx/prado, but the 100-series LC/LX were know to have failures with the AHC, they had ~10yr life span before failure. Probably lots of info about this on ih8mud.com
    100 series AHC is pretty reliable. The system on my 200k+ 2001 is still going strong and healthy and it hasn't lived an easy life. Most others report the same. I'll probably end up replacing it before it has a real problem though, there's something to be said for mechanical simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Bought mine w 130,000, now at 175,000. Love it. Original airbags still working perfect in the rear. AdironRider - new airpump is like $200 and easy to install yourself. Check https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/120-series-toyotas.207/, and the different facebook groups (GXOR, GXOR-CO, etc.) - lots of DIY step-by-step for we non-dentists that have discovered this sweet vehicle. I destroyed and replaced the stock skid plates with ARB ones. Nearly everything for 4R and FJ Cruisers fit the GX. Mine has 2006 era touchscreen navigation that is horribly dated. It is useful about 1% of the time. Same touchscreen does the HVAC, which is a pain. The non-nav versions were originally cheaper, and now, more desirable.

I laugh at new 4Runners (though they are sweet). Feel like finding this vehicle was like discovering a glitch in the market. I'd buy another today.
    I never diagnosed it that far to see if it was just the pump. Had kinda always planned on the lift route really, but I'll have to poke around a bit. I'm also glad to not have the nav, but I don't have KDSS either so oh well.

It does feel like a glitch in the market. Just so much car for the money. Just don't expect a lot if you trade it in on something as a result.
    Live Free or Die

Another super happy GX470 owner here. But below is a small list of complaints:

- The airbag rear suspension is stupid. The ride in the 2nd row can be pretty rough on some roads as the rear end can wallow back and forth. Not worth replacing if it works, but worth swapping to springs when it dies.
    - throw the third row seats in the trash day 1. They are pointless.
    - the spare tire is tucked under the rear end and pretty difficult to drop as you have to fish this hooked stick thru this small hole and crank it down. To add, the spare has a TPS on it and is a pain to keep at spec pressures, so my light is constantly on...
    - the steering wheel and side mirrors move based on P/D/R shifting. Which is cool. But scary in a 10yo truck.
    - side swinging rear door is annoying with bike racks, parked on slopes, towing, etc...

Overall though, Its a great truck, perfect for my needs, I wouldn’t own anything else.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Another super happy GX470 owner here. But below is a small list of complaints:

- The airbag rear suspension is stupid. The ride in the 2nd row can be pretty rough on some roads as the rear end can wallow back and forth. Not worth replacing if it works, but worth swapping to springs when it dies.
    - throw the third row seats in the trash day 1. They are pointless.
    - the spare tire is tucked under the rear end and pretty difficult to drop as you have to fish this hooked stick thru this small hole and crank it down. To add, the spare has a TPS on it and is a pain to keep at spec pressures, so my light is constantly on...
    - the steering wheel and side mirrors move based on P/D/R shifting. Which is cool. But scary in a 10yo truck.
    - side swinging rear door is annoying with bike racks, parked on slopes, towing, etc...

Overall though, Its a great truck, perfect for my needs, I wouldn’t own anything else.....

I just bought a 2007 GX about 2 months ago. All of the above is pretty spot on. My airbags are leaking so I am throwing a 2" OME lift on it next week. I like the swinging rear door but wish the glass opened like it does on newer 460s. Aftermarket parts are getting more available. GXOR group on facebook is probably the single reason why I still look at facebook. Any question you have can be answered by there.
    Third row is nice to have in a pinch when I am hauling extra kids around, but the seats pretty much stay in my basement. Try to find one without Navigation, super huge pain in the ass to upgrade the nav models (which seems to me most of them)

I just bought a super clean 2015 GX460 with 43k miles. It was some dentists Park City vacation home vehicle. I feel like I need to wear slacks and boat shoes when I go motoring now.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Good seeing you today, mang!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    I just bought a super clean 2015 GX460 with 43k miles. It was some dentists Park City vacation home vehicle. I feel like I need to wear slacks and boat shoes when I go motoring now.
    That or go get it dirty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200509_084811.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	339014

How much did that run you?

Don't forget the sweater draped over your shoulder. You should page Bmillskier for some wardrobe advice while driving a fine automobile.

They look better with some black TRD 17s and a rocket box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    How much did that run you?
    I got it for $31k. I was looking at spending around the same amount for a used Tacoma or 4Runner. They seem to be a sleeper vehicle for the most part.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Looking to get into an 07+ GX but not a lot of options in CO. I drive an 06 LX now and it’s awesome but bigger than I need. 191k on the odo and still drives really well. No issues this summer on a 3500 mile road trip packed to the gills.

I got it for $31k. I was looking at spending around the same amount for a used Tacoma or 4Runner. They seem to be a sleeper vehicle for the most part.
    Very interesting. Would be sweet to get one that needed a new air suspension then just upgrade it to a lift and springs.

So true. I went through the same thing but with a different budget. I bought a 08 with 91k for $14k. Same price as a used 4Runner... Also, chances are these were only driven as grocery getters and kid haulers prior to hitting the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Jong question here but, the GX is the 4Runner platform and the LX is the Land Cruiser platform?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Same price as a used 4Runner...
    Inexplicably cheaper in my experience.

Mine came with brand new tires, Laufen ATs. Too good to discard but never what I wanted. Just bought 265/70r17 General Grabber ATX 121/118 S. I had AT2s on my old Durango. They were great in snow and ice, off-road and cheaper than BFG's, so trying the ATXs. Good price plus $100 Visa card now. I'll mount them up before snow flies. They're about an inch taller than stock but reportedly fit ("biggest tire on stock GX470") with a simple fender mod. Hope the local shop doesn't give me any grief about installation.

Airbags still going strong at 180k (only 5,000 miles in the past 11 months?). I was secretly hoping the bags would go out before I upgraded the tires, so I could do a lift and size tires up a bit. But it's kind of fun to play with raising and lowering the rear. I won't replace the bags until they go out. Not sure if I'll do new bags or springs when they go out. If I ever bang up the footrails, sliders are on the list but figure if it ain't broke don't waste money.