Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up Should I buy a Lexus?

I'm going to test drive a 2006 Lexus GX470 tonight. It is the same thing as a 4runner, but nicer interior and V8 standard (it's the Tundra's V8, optional on 4runners too). Should I buy the Lexus?

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy 6-speed manual with 99,600 in good shape, love it, super cheap to own and great car, but I need more off-road clearance and towing capabilities (mostly a raft). I'm looking at used vehicles between $10k-15k, mainly considering Tacoma, Tundra, 4runner, Land Cruiser, for their known reliability. However, in Colorado, there is a crazy mark-up on used Toyotas; like $2-5k above Blue Book and they sell fast. Plus, they've probably been previously driven like a CO Toyota.

So we test drove a GX470 last weekend. Super nice, rides better than a 4runner, interior is trick (sunroof, heated seats, great sound system). That one sold, but there's another local one and I'm going to take a look. "Never towed, no off-road, wife's vehicle, selling to get the exact brand new one." My only problem is, it's a Lexus: the luxury car stigma, plus, is it too fucking nice to take off-road and camp and scratch up and pinstripe?

What say you?

ps- nice Subaru Legacy for sale in Eagle, let me know if you want to check it out
    Last edited by Tips^Up; 09-09-2016 at 02:17 PM.

The GX470 is closer to the Land Cruiser Prado (google it) than the 4Runner of the same era, though all 3 are quite similar.

The GX470 has the exact same drivetrain as the V8-equipped 4th gen 4Runner. If you're concerned about mechanical parts cost, reliability, etc., they're the same for both.

Differences, off the top of my head: GX has more headroom, lots more luxury features, side-opening rear door (vs hatch with roll-down window). Air rear suspension was available (IDK if std or optional). GX MPG might be slightly worse.

If you like the GX, get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Your friends will bust your balls, but at 10 years old with some miles on it, it's no longer a status symbol-mobile.

I would buy one of those but only if you're paying for the value of the metal rather than the value of the hood ornament or the leather. Chisel hard on price.

Apply your own pin stripes.

Do it. Fuck the stigma and use it like you plan. Find a good indie mechanic in your area.

Also, I'm not sure about the gx/prado, but the 100-series LC/LX were know to have failures with the AHC, they had ~10yr life span before failure. Probably lots of info about this on ih8mud.com

Id buy it over a similar year 4Runner in a heartbeat. The Lexus probably has never seen dirt it been abused, similar 4R would most likely have been owned by a typical TGR Bro who would have used and abused it.

Buy the grocery getter and treat it like a 4Runner.

Those are pretty solid vehicles. I think they get overlooked because they are Lexus badged. At 10 years old the appeal of it being a luxury vehicle is probably gone and you can get one cheaper than a comparable Toyota. I have a 06 Tundra and if I were to buy something else I would probably look at these.

What everybody else said. All things being equal, I'd MUCH rather have the Lexus version than the Toyota. Beat the shit out of it in comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Sell out.

Fia might like the leather and heated seats.

Just don't wash the exterior to avoid that pearl metallic paint sheen.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Why is it that Aussie rednecks seem cool as fuck, but ours seem like dorks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yes buy it. Others have said why.

Anyone who gives you shit about a badge on a car is a loser who secretly wishes they didn't drive a shitbox. Mostly.

The others are usually Prius drivers.

You're not in the market for a Prius now are you?

Didn't think so.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    Buy the grocery getter and treat it like a 4Runner.
    Good fucking advice.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Why is it that Aussie rednecks seem cool as fuck, but ours seem like dorks?
    Native habitat?

I have a 2006 Sequoia LTD, same exact drivetrain and similar pimpiness. I say go for it. BUT, be prepared for horrendous gas mileage. The Lexus is a little smaller than the Sequoia so probably gets better MPG, but it will still be bad. That 4.7 V8 sucks gas.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I literally just did this, only mine is an 04.

They ride like a cadillac compared to a 4 runner. Everyone said the important stuff, its basically a LC prado, same drivetrain as the 4runner V8, in my neck of the woods they run a couple grand cheaper, and almost all of them have been maintained religiously.

I paid 14k for my 04 with 90k miles. Services every three months or 1500 miles, whichever came first. 1 owner. Closest comparable 4runner was pushing 20k with same mileage and condition.

Do it, its fucking great. Your boys will bust your balls until they take a 20 second ride in it, then want want for themselves.

Edit: Im getting 18 commuting it over Teton Pass 50 miles round trip everyday. That seems to be the best you'll do as I don't drive that hard.
    Live Free or Die

Not sure if this is still the case but you used to be able to go to a Lexus dealer with a vin# and get the complete maintenance history for anything done at a Lexus dealership. Might cost you a little grease with the service counter guy. Lexus buyers generally had them serviced at the dealership. I have maintenance records since mile 0. 1st owner-grocery getter, 2nd-nutty land cruiser enthusiast who kept impeccable records for impeccable maintenance for 80k-180k and now me to 210k. I'd drive it coast to coast tomorrow if I had the time and gas money. They will run forever if cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Sell out.

Fia might like the leather and heated seats.
    Fia will love the leather. There comes a time in every man's life, when he must quit being a lesbian and become a soccer mom.

Chuckled at this 11-year-old review:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2005/02/lexus-gx470/

10 year old car with a 100k miles sounds like the perfect car to take off road. Lexus isn't really a luxury brand. More a premium, like Inifiniti or Acura.

In most cases, and especially in CO, the Toyota counterpart SUV will demand more money. It's the same with a 100 series LC and LX.

That car will need a timing belt done to it, if it hasn't already.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I'm in the same situation, but it's either a GS 300 or LS 430. Those things are supposedly bullet proof. It's a snooze box in the LS, but it matches my Tommy Bahama shirts a little more. The reviews on the GS JZ supra motor are insane, and the LS long term reviews are even better. There's nothing driver centric about a Lexus. They're passenger cars, but they are amazing passenger cars. The streets here are not exciting and the roads are shit, so that's what I'm going with. 2000-2006 or 7 Lexuses are pretty amazing vehicles and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the LX, LS, or GS for one second. Probably one of the only 10+ year old cars that you can buy with a sketchy maintenance record and the car will be fine.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I towed a shit ton with my 2005 GX. Bomber, but I didn't really like the rear door. Lexus wheels eventually corrode, so I put some big wheels on her.
    I still have a 2005 4R and like it a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I towed a shit ton with my 2005 GX. Bomber, but I didn't really like the rear door. Lexus wheels eventually corrode, so I put some big wheels on her.
    I still have a 2005 4R and like it a little more.
    4r > GX; why? Doesn't the country club have a policy against that?

Test drive postponed until right now, will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The GX470 is closer to the Land Cruiser Prado (google it) than the 4Runner of the same era, though all 3 are quite similar.

The GX470 has the exact same drivetrain as the V8-equipped 4th gen 4Runner. If you're concerned about mechanical parts cost, reliability, etc., they're the same for both.

Differences, off the top of my head: GX has more headroom, lots more luxury features, side-opening rear door (vs hatch with roll-down window). Air rear suspension was available (IDK if std or optional). GX MPG might be slightly worse.

If you like the GX, get it.

Great drivetrain here in the mountains. One thing to note with the GX, they come with this stupid ass air suspension that is sweet when it works, but most of the GX's form that era have the air suspension that just doesn't work properly anymore.

More things to note:

I get 15 city and 19 highway with my 4th gen v8 4runner.

Timing belt needs to be done every 90k, but can be pushed back just a little if needed.

Front brake calipers tend to seize if not a daily driver.

Exhaust manifold from this generation can get a hole in them and not pass e check. Spendy fix, but listen to the car when its running as its easy to tell.