Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Jong question here but, the GX is the 4Runner platform and the LX is the Land Cruiser platform?
    Not exactly, the LX is based on the LC, the GX is based on the Landcruiser Prado They are also made in Japan vs. the US/Mexico.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Looks like prices go from $60-70k for a 17-19 LX then drop to $30-35 for 13-15. Crazy depreciation. 5 years old seems like the sweet spot to then hit depreciation of $3-5k a year from there on with the 20 year old LXs going for $8-10k.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Should I buy a Lexus?

Looks like prices go from $60-70k for a 17-19 LX then drop to $30-35 for 13-15. Crazy depreciation. 5 years old seems like the sweet spot to then hit depreciation of $3-5k a year from there on with the 20 year old LXs going for $8-10k.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This should be helpful to understand the incremental changes between the model years of the 100-series LC and lx470

https://sleeoffroad.com/tech-zone/10...-newbie-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Don't forget the sweater draped over your shoulder. You should page Bmillskier for some wardrobe advice while driving a fine automobile.
    Good lookin out FnS; for what it’s worth, when I find myself in the old family LX470, boat shoes, shorts and a T-shirt serve as appropriate attire. Collars if heading to golf or tennis, sandals or bare feet if it’s the beach.

Newer models will command a more discerning attire based on location.

YMMV.
    I still call it The Jake.

Should I buy a Lexus?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx5...1053154/page-2

Interesting thread on the lx570 air suspension. Seems pretty reliable compared to the gx.

I put a leveling kit and 1 1/2" spacers on this with TRD Wheels and upgraded the display with a Phoenix Android radio and touchscreen controls. 131,000 miles on the clock and still likes to cruise at + 120mph. Best SUV you can buy for less than $10k with a properly powered V8 IMO.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200909_081549.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	339432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200909_081941.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	339433

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Pow4Brains; 09-09-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Woah, that’s the most seamlessly integrated aftermarket head unit I’ve ever seen. Does it download Lexus software? How does it get that factory look with the image of the car and all?
    I still call it The Jake.

Yeah, that dash looks perfect, and takes care of the only real downside of that model. DIY or ?

Well done, and great looking rig, too!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    This should be helpful to understand the incremental changes between the model years of the 100-series LC and lx470

https://sleeoffroad.com/tech-zone/10...-newbie-guide/
    Thx, I think I’m most likely going for the big boy, the lx570 if I do. Good news is I showed it to the wife and she was all about it. Bad news is that I wasn’t planning on getting rid of either car for several years. Ones paid off and the other has 2 years left. Sounds like there maybe some real deals on the 17-20 570s though in a few years as it keeps getting terrible reviews due to its entertainment / navigation system and “dated” feel.

Thx, I think I’m most likely going for the big boy, the lx570 if I do. Good news is I showed it to the wife and she was all about it. Bad news is that I wasn’t planning on getting rid of either car for several years. Ones paid off and the other has 2 years left. Sounds like there maybe some real deals on the 17-20 570s though in a few years as it keeps getting terrible reviews due to its entertainment / navigation system and “dated” feel.
    It sounds like you’re going to have 3 cars soon-ish

Sounds like there maybe some real deals on the 17-20 570s though in a few years as it keeps getting terrible reviews due to its entertainment / navigation system and “dated” feel.
    I bought a GX a few months ago and the dated platform was part of the reason why. It hasn't changed in a decade. It's a Toyota. It's a known entity. Same with the LC/LX. In this case it really is a feature, not a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Woah, that’s the most seamlessly integrated aftermarket head unit I’ve ever seen. Does it download Lexus software? How does it get that factory look with the image of the car and all?
    When you contact Phoenix Android radio they ask for the year, model, VIN number, etc. and they custom program the head unit and match the bezel. Truly a Plug and Play install, it took about four hours to install. Ih8mud has a bunch of tutorials on the install as does YouTube.

From the time I ordered it to the time it arrived at my door was approximately 5 days direct from China via DHL. All HVAC, security and vehicle controls work as factory designed. You can also add front and side cameras, entertainment systems, etc. as desired and it fixes the "dated feel" of the interior.

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

It doesn't require nav to begin with does it? My GX doesn't have nav but the climate control buttons just started acting up and if I'm removing all that jazz to fix I might as well upgrade to something like this.
    Live Free or Die

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4BDB56CB-8B07-4D8D-9389-983D703908C1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	339577

Something about the juxtaposition of the BURLY EXTREME OFF ROAD MONSTER OVERLAND TRUCK front bumper/winch and the mall crawler stock running boards are lol.
    And the asking price is L.O.L

Yeah I was wondering about the running boards too. I saw one meantion on that i8mud link that they can be taken off.

Yes, they can be taken off, and there are plenty of great options for sliders and other armor if needed.

If you want to build a rock crawler they make rock sliders, skid plates, expedition roofracks, etc. as EXTREME (lol, most don't know how to CrAwlZ) as you want to get. The obvious place to start is e-lockers front and rear so you have the triple set dip, they come factory with transfer case lock.

Yes Adirin, you can order them with or without navigation.

My ‘99 100-series has a large rack, aftermarket bumper, stock running boards, and OEM suspension. All utility shit for me. No functional head unit. Go ahead and laugh.

Love our GX, but a downside compared to the LCs is the 8" rear. Not a deal breaker unless you're aggressive on the pedal with big rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I bought a GX a few months ago and the dated platform was part of the reason why. It hasn't changed in a decade. It's a Toyota. It's a known entity. Same with the LC/LX. In this case it really is a feature, not a bug.
    samesies. i landed in a sr5 4runner but was chasing that simplicity as i tend to buy and hold so shit needs to age well. i still lust a gx/lx of many variants but the 4runner has done me well.

Meh...you can't wheel a 4runner...Name:  FB_IMG_1597366978516.jpeg
Views: 332
Size:  112.6 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

I just turn off the (dated) touchscreen in my 06 LX. Most dash controls are duplicated elsewhere. With aftermarket Bluetooth the screen just isn’t needed.

And running boards are easily removed on GX and LX.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6557.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	339642

How much more expensive is the LX to maintain? I know it's going to be a project no matter what, but would hope I could have some reliability if I got things in order. Probably going to buy a beater and slowly drive it into the ground. This would be a forest road toy for me with a few overnights thrown in. Would I have to build a platform to sleep in or is the back flat enough? Are people going to fuck with it?