World Cup of Hockey

Preliminary games kicked off today. Real tournament gets going the 17th. Anybody really care about this? Lots of my Wild players in this. Good to get hockey back but it's fingers crossed for no injuries to damage the Wilds's NHL regular season. I'd say send the pros to the Olympics (outstanding hockey) and lose the Worlds.

I've got tickets to the two pre-tournament games in DC next week. Should be fun, even if they're pretty meaningless.

I don't like the idea of losing IIHF world championships, unless you mean just in Olympic years. In Europe, international tournaments are huge (worlds, Spengler Cup, and a bunch of other tournaments), and Worlds is the biggest outside of the Olympics. I wish those tournaments got better coverage here. I'd rather lose the World Cup, if we have to choose.

I have trouble taking this tournament seriously when two of the teams aren't countries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I have trouble taking this tournament seriously when two of the teams aren't countries
    NHL Promo, not a bad idea when you think about it
    The Sheriff is near!

I'm leery about NHL players getting injured in this meaningless tournament, but it does mark the start of hockey season!

Name:  hansons.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  48.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    This is one of my major complaints with the format. I still don't really understand the logic. On NHL Radio the other day, they were talking about some of the weird situations that emerge as a result. For instance, "Team USA" is really "Old Guys from Team USA". Some really good players from the US, being under 23, were ineligible for the national team, while other countries don't have similar limitations, so, say, Finland, has access to all of their talent, from the youngest to the oldest.

It really makes it more of an exhibition tournament than a real matchup of each country's best, which is kind of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by barkcity View Post
    I'm leery about NHL players getting injured in this meaningless tournament, but it does mark the start of hockey season!
    Yeah, the timing of it's weird, but I guess, aside from putting it in the middle of the summer, there's no way to place it "well". I do like that it signals the coming of the new season, though.

Just watch the games boys. The US/Canada game tonight, a frickin prelim game, was outstanding.

USA vs Finnyland rite now
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    USA vs Finnyland rite now
    and which turned out to be a great game, tight finish!

Why the hell aren't they playing this on international size ice??!! The NHL needs to switch to that, would be the single best way to address several shortcomings of the current game.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Ticket sales being one issue

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    Ticket sales being one issue
    sure, takes out the first two and highest paying rows. And attracts thousands more fans as it's not all plugged up with huge players getting in the way. You're right though, the revenue from those few rows of seats is all that stands in the way of common sense...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Why the hell aren't they playing this on international size ice??!! The NHL needs to switch to that, would be the single best way to address several shortcomings of the current game.
    I was at the game last night, and it was sloppy, but fun to watch. Finland figured something out in the 3rd, though (or USA just stopped trying).

The NHL seems to see this WCH as their showcase, and want to demonstrate "their" game, so it's probably important to them that it's on an NHL sheet. This whole thing is really just a way for the NHL to get out of going to the Olympics, which is sort of too bad.

Canukistan over evil Empire in OT
    watch out for snakes

Anyone been watching? This has been a fun tournament, outside of the absolutely embarrassing performance by Team USA. North America looks like they're done, unless Finland does the seemingly impossible (based on how they've played thus far) and beats Russia.

I think that leaves me rooting for Team Europe...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Anyone been watching? This has been a fun tournament, outside of the absolutely embarrassing performance by Team USA. North America looks like they're done, unless Finland does the seemingly impossible (based on how they've played thus far) and beats Russia.

I think that leaves me rooting for Team Europe...
    No kidding! USA has stunk up this tournament. Pretty poor showing for such a talent heavy team. Oh well, real hockey starts soon.

Terrible coaching hurt the US more than anything IMO. Tortorella is a hack.
    The NA-Swe game was brilliant hockey.
    Johnny Hockey was one of the most exciting players on any team.

Team NA was so damn fun to watch!

Just couldn't get into this. NA was fun to watch though. Bring on the regular season.

Crosby. 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Crosby. 1-0.
    Sweet play right there.

Fk that waz beautiful
    watch out for snakes