Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    On my latest drivetrain rebuild, I'll be running 32t with 11-40t which is fine for the small rolling hills around me on a 26". I'm on the fence about installing a 22t or 26t granny that can be manually shifted to, for if I travel to anywhere with long sustained climbs. With an alloy ring and alloy XTR bolts it's very little weight, but if I never use it locally I don't want to leave it on all the time. But to take it on and off, you have to pull the whole crank and then re-install it with a torque wrench, which isn't exactly convenient either.
    I'm not sure I could pedal fast enough to stay upright in 22x42. Not leaving it on all the time seems really dumb.

Another option is the e13 trs cassette. 9-44 or 9-46 in 11 speed. I run the 9-44 with a 28t front. Gives me a real granny for the ultra steep or long backcountry days while keeping a bigger gear for downhill pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm not sure I could pedal fast enough to stay upright in 22x42. Not leaving it on all the time seems really dumb.
    Yeah............I've got an aluminum 22t and 26t, and steel 26t, along with some (I think aluminum) XTR bolts. Should be about 30g with the 22t.

I'm considering 22t specifically to stay out of the alloy 40t cog on the cassette, which will get heavy use normally. I used to ride a 22t by 32t low gear back in the day when I was 50 lb lighter and had a ~6 lb lighter bike, so I can certainly justify riding the 22t with the 32t and even 36t cogs on the sunrace cassette.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 04-06-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    Another option is the e13 trs cassette. 9-44 or 9-46 in 11 speed. I run the 9-44 with a 28t front. Gives me a real granny for the ultra steep or long backcountry days while keeping a bigger gear for downhill pedaling.
    I got one of those in 9-46 flavor. me likey
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I'm plotting a new bike, and that's on the top of the short list for gearing. That with a 30 or 32 up front seems ideal.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've been running the E13 cassettes on my main two bikes since it became available last year, so plenty of miles. Spread on a lot of Ti AntiSieze on the interface between the two cassette halves to prevent creaking. Grease is not a good solution.

Running 30 oval ring on the Bronson, 32 on the Nomad.

I find the innumeracy of the anti-1x11 crowd amusing. People focus on size of big cog rather than cog spread ratio.

Shimano is dead to me. Unless they start enabling a smaller cog.

^^
    FWIW, I'm running a 30T on my Bronson with SRAM shifters and a Shimano 11 x 42 cassette. The 30 x 11 combo only has me spinning out if I'm going over 30 mph downhill on a paved road. So for mountain biking it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 08-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Yeah I had 1x shimano setups on a couple of bikes, and got the one up big cog as soon as he got in business. Worked well enough but I had to run a 32 chainring...30T sucked on pedally downhills.

Then Bam, along came E13, and finally I had a no compromise 1x11 setup. E.g. Riding Rose To Toads, 65 mile version, around 10,000 ft of climbing mostly high altitude singletrack---and fast descents.

I want my granny back

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I've been running the E13 cassettes on my main two bikes since it became available last year, so plenty of miles. Spread on a lot of Ti AntiSieze on the interface between the two cassette halves to prevent creaking. Grease is not a good solution.

Running 30 oval ring on the Bronson, 32 on the Nomad.

I find the innumeracy of the anti-1x11 crowd amusing. People focus on size of big cog rather than cog spread ratio.

Shimano is dead to me. Unless they start enabling a smaller cog.
    Had the creaking issue on mine as well. Emailed e13 and they sent me a spacer and a small bushing as a fix. Dead quiet since install.
    Last edited by ripvw; 04-08-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Thx, hadn't heard of that fix. The ti paste has worked well long term for me & a couple of friends but I'll keep that in mind.

I used the rose to Toads example since normal humans are reduced to slow climbing at some point on a ride like that. Having spent the $$ to convert my main bikes to sram 1x11 I was not in the mood for Eagle upgrade at all. So yeah stoked the e13 came along. Shifts well too.

I got a barely used e13 9-44 from a guy locally. Good to hear there are solutions to the creaking because it's driving me nuts. I'm greasing it about every 2 weeks, and even that's not really enough for total silence. I've got some copper-based anti-seize, think that would work? Besides that, it's solid. 30x44 has proven low enough. The extra couple teeth of the 46 would be nice, but I couldn't pass up the local deal. If you want to stick w/ 1x11, it's tough to beat the range. That 9t gains you a lot of high end.

I've also run a 28x42 this summer. Plenty of low end, but no high end at all. I run out of gears on anything that isn't a climb, and gear range seems really tight. Not a fan at all.

Anyone run into clearance issues with the e13 9 tooth? I've had some frames where things around the stays were pretty close with a 10t.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Anyone run into clearance issues with the e13 9 tooth? I've had some frames where things around the stays were pretty close with a 10t.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Just reaaalllll close to the inside of the dropout. But that's 11sp, nothing 9t specific.

You got a chainstay you're about to hit?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Just reaaalllll close to the inside of the dropout. But that's 11sp, nothing 9t specific.

You got a chainstay you're about to hit?
    The chain barely clears the chainstay on my Wilson with a 10t cog (although it's less of an issue with the suspension compressed), and I've seen a couple others that are similarly close. Seems like frame designers are starting to make a little more room in that area to allow for smaller cassette cogs, but 9t is really small.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The chain barely clears the chainstay on my Wilson with a 10t cog...
    I have nothing to offer other than interest.

Noah, can you post a pic?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I got a barely used e13 9-44 from a guy locally. Good to hear there are solutions to the creaking because it's driving me nuts. I'm greasing it about every 2 weeks, and even that's not really enough for total silence. I've got some copper-based anti-seize, think that would work? Besides that, it's solid. 30x44 has proven low enough. The extra couple teeth of the 46 would be nice, but I couldn't pass up the local deal. If you want to stick w/ 1x11, it's tough to beat the range. That 9t gains you a lot of high end.

I've also run a 28x42 this summer. Plenty of low end, but no high end at all. I run out of gears on anything that isn't a climb, and gear range seems really tight. Not a fan at all.
    I was wondering about the copper anti seize too as I have that also. 9t seems like overkill for me, my bikes never see pavement and I never need to go any faster, I'm old and fat and prefer coasting to going faster

I want my granny back

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

Just email e13, they will send you the repair kit for free. Takes less than 10 minutes to install.

1x, the Automatic Transmission of the Mtn Bike world.

Just email e13, they will send you the repair kit for free. Takes less than 10 minutes to install.
    Damn, missed that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick Garbanzo View Post
    As someone who doesn't own a 1x and doesn't have any desire to, this still made me roll my eyes.

hah, some truth here

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    What size chainring?
    Some will call BS, but switching to an oval front ring made some of those grinds much more tolerable for me. I went from 32 round to 32 oval. I suppose you could even go down to a 30 oval and basically sit and spin.
    My 32 oval made a huge difference for me.

My 10-42 shifts very well, but I wish I had more range from on both ends. 9-46 might be a good answer, but I ran a custom cassette for a while that was 8-42 and shifting was a total shitshow to the point where I really only had 9 useful gears because of phantom shifting on the low end and chain slip on the high end.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

e-bikes, the Automatic Transmission of the Mtn Bike world.
    FIFY....

e-bikes, the electric motorcycle of the Mtn Bike world.
    And I FIFY.

I have a 2x10 which in theory gives me 20 speeds. However you can't really use the big ring with the top 2-3 cogs and basically the same with the small ring and the bottom 2 cogs. That give me 15 usable gears+- or for every usable gear on a 1x I have a gear in between.

I appreciate that. I have yet to have someone explain the advantage of a 1x in a believable way.

I appreciate that. I have yet to have someone explain the advantage of a 1x in a believable way.
    Some of us (me) are really dumb and lack the coordination and forethought necessary to handle the 2x, and therein lies the advantage of the 1x. For example, I was super tired the other day and almost killed myself on a climb as my friends pulled away. I thought I was going to die trying to keep up for like 20 minutes and then I realized I was in my big ring...stupid as all hell, right? I am switching ASAP.