Bent front wheel, new wheel suggestions needed

In an effort to find an addiction other than skiing, I just started mountain biking. Bought an entry level bike two weeks ago (Cannondale Trail 5). Took a spill yesterday and bent the front wheel.

I know next to nothing about mtb gear and tech, so I'm looking for suggestions on what new wheels to buy. I want to ride aggressive and keep pushing my ability, so I think I need stronger rims. Also don't want to break the bank, but I don't mind coughing up a bit of dough if it means the wheels will last.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I find stans rims, on shimano hubs to be good value overall. Set up tubeless great (if you are not, you should be) and the arch or flow is VERY strong for the weight

2nd Stan's.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I suggest looking into a 26" front wheel, and a matching 26" rear wheel, they will be inherently stiffer, lighter and stronger.

How bent is it?
    If it's just a bit, and not completely trashed, a bike shop can just fix it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'll be the contrary opinion: I think Stan's rims suck. When set up tubeless, they burp air way easier than most other rims on the market because they don't have a "hook" on the bead seat. For a relatively inexpensive rim that holds up ok, I like the WTB options. For a cheap wheel, Shimano hubs are always a safe bet.

Toast knows, listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    How bent is it?
    If it's just a bit, and not completely trashed, a bike shop can just fix it.
    Bike shop said they couldn't fix it. I'm waiting to hear back from Cannondale for a warranty claim since it's barely two weeks old, but I'm not hopeful.

Hey toast I like WTB, and Shimano hubs are really good, but do you think a beginner would have problems with wheels burping on Stan's rims?

By the way I'm not being a typical TGR jerk, I'm just asking.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hey toast I like WTB, and Shimano hubs are really good, but do you think a beginner would have problems with wheels burping on Stan's rims?

By the way I'm not being a typical TGR jerk, I'm just asking.
    Probably depends on what tire and pressure they were running. Beginners might not ride as hard and put less sideways force into the tire, but it also seems that beginners tend to be fond of running pretty low pressures (or maybe they're just not in the habit of checking pressure regularly).

Really, this is a great time to find a used wheelset. Tons of people are pulling their pretty darn good OEM wheels and upgrading to blingy overkill.
    Search Pinkbike and your local craigslist. If you find something in your price range and aren't sure, post up in here and get some help.
    Or wait a couple weeks and usually smmokan will have something really nice to flip.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1901753/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2019084/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2007942/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2047536/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2045612/
    However many are in a shit ton.

I've had good luck with Stans Flows, as have most of my riding buddies. I also did well with WTB i23s on my previous bike, and my new Easton ARC seems good too. The Sun Charger Pros on my 29er hardtail also work without issue.

I'd look for a deal on any of these. They should all be fine.

Never had a problem with burping on Stans rims (I have 7 I think) but I don't think the build quality is the best on their prebuilt wheels. I've wound up rebuilding the ones I've bought due to uneven tension. But a good choice if you're handy with a spoke wrench or have someone who can do a build. Or just get 'em and worry about it when they go out of true.

A decent wheelset will be around $500 (minimum), so figure $200-250 for a new front, particularly if it's 27.5. Or look for something used as mentioned.

Ended up purchasing Stan Flow EX - a tech at the shop built the wheel himself, and it cost me $200. I've already taken it out for a couple rides, and it definitely feels more solid and stable than the factory rims.