Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RAMP Skis - Out of Business?

Anyone know what is going on at RAMP? I know they had some "fire" sales in the spring/summer but I have not heard anything about the company since. Today, I noticed the site is down and when I did a search it appeared they are out of business. I skied on a few skis and liked them enough. Just curious, especially being the first of the resurgence USA made skis to go under (?)

My buddy Andrew skied for them and has referred to them as the company formally known as Ramp
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Ghost
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the guys vacuum baggin a marginal product with a gimmicky mlm rep program
    swirled down the shitter
    color me shocked
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    the guys vacuum baggin a marginal product with a gimmicky mlm rep program
    swirled down the shitter
    color me shocked
    Literally my thoughts as well. People forget they started as a pyramid scheme selling chinese made ski's. Then tried to turn in to a "Made in America" brand using sub-optimal production methods, and trying to convince everyone that is was superior. Dumbshits.
    Training for Alpental

Not feeling like starting a new thread, is skilogik dead too? Pretty skis and some seemed to really like them, but they never drew me.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Not feeling like starting a new thread, is skilogik dead too? Pretty skis and some seemed to really like them, but they never drew me.
    Interesting. Cause?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    From their FB page it sure looks that way.

I was always pretty turned off by the lengths they went through to hide the fact that their skis were made in China. If you want to make your shit there, fine, but be up front about it.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I was always pretty turned off by the lengths they went through to hide the fact that their skis were made in China. If you want to make your shit there, fine, but be up front about it.
    You mean like Liberty putting "Born in Colorado" on all their Made in China skis?
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    You mean like Liberty putting "Born in Colorado" on all their Made in China skis?
    I thought they were pretty upfront about being made in China. Especially when compared with Liberty's obfuscation.

Is your bamboo from China? You should put 'born in China. Made in the USA' on your skis

Yeah, I thought ski logik was pretty honest about where they were made.

Never skied them, but sorry to see them go (if they're gone), their skis were purty.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^ I vaguely recall discussion of their obfuscation from back in the TTips days. Ancient history though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    ^^^ I vaguely recall discussion of their obfuscation from back in the TTips days. Ancient history though.
    Yeah when they first started they were not at all forthcoming about it. In fact, their sales rep gave me a solid 5min runaround on the topic when I was asking him point blank where the manufacturing was based before he finally stopped saying shit like "well the headquarters is in Breckenridge" and admitted the factory was in China.

Which is funny because as they figured out later, the whole thing didn't need to be a disadvantage, as they could easily play up the fact that they designed and built the factory themselves, brought in high-end craftsmen, etc.

Agreed, I've always felt logics reasoning made sense and seemed open (to me at least) and put out the idea that everything was still very craftsman hand made and proud of they're shit. I honestly wanted a pair but with Praxis and ON3P and a couple others, I.e. Folsom and Fatypus, they were too low on my list. Typically companies like Ramp and Liberty REALLY turn me off. Cannondale used to do the same shit
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Specialized bicycles used to advertise their overseas-built frames as "designed in California." Maybe they still do, IDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'll check my road bike when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Specialized bicycles used to advertise their overseas-built frames as "designed in California." Maybe they still do, IDK.
    Name:  designed-by-apple-in-california0.jpg
Views: 10876
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  MAKE SKI CO'S HONEST AGAIN.jpg
Views: 10598
Size:  149.1 KB
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

This thread has the potential to really grow some feet (on these subjects):

1) the whole Designed in Calif, Made in China crap. Pure comedy.
    2) I was really hoping every small upstart ski company could make it. We all can't ski on stuff from two companies- and their associated subsidiaries.
    3) Skilogik was plagued by poor quality, yet they managed to get some really good skiers on their stuff. Are they dead?
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

No more beaver???

Bye Bye chumps. They had a demo day at my local area and a guy tried to hustle me into trying them[not the beavers], I pointed at my Praxis MVPs and said "no thanks"
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    No more beaver???

Bye Bye chumps. They had a demo day at my local area and a guy tried to hustle me into trying them[not the beavers], I pointed at my Praxis MVPs and said "no thanks"
    They had a demo day at Moonlight Basin a few years back. I skied a few runs on several pairs. I thought it was weird the way tried to sell them. Most demos are very laid back, this was definitely a hard sell.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I don't know why anyone would hate on having their skis made in China, those tiny hands of 6 year old Chinese children do amazing things on an assembly line.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Sooo many Ramps at the JH ski swap last year that didn't sell.

I gotta say I like Lib's made near canada labels.

It sounds like they never latched on to a feasible business model.

I think a bigger problem for them was that their designs seemed dated. I don't know who the market is for flat tail short-medium radius skis with a traditional shovel and just a little bit of tip rocker and a waist topping out at around 100mm. Old ski instructors, maybe?