Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Turn

Hey man, I keep seeing mention of a hip injury, but keep forgetting to ask. Whahappened!?

As to the turn, those DP rides are staying darker longer. But, the biggie was on a ride today when I noticed a breeze as I crested a climb. It wasn't just unusually cool, it carried the faintest smell of Autumn.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Stupidest ski injury ever, it was early December at Solitude, basically no snow, it sucked. I said the hell with it, got to a cat track and turned and looked uphill to look for my wife to make sure she saw I was bailing while I was still moving, and I hit some immovable object I never saw - a block of ice, I dunno. Flew sideways off the cat track and landed straight on my hip on ice. Totally concentrated force, the initial bruise was about the size of quarter, right directly on the hip. It drove the ball of my hip into the socket and blew up my acetabulum (part of the pelvis, where the socket is), breaking both columns (which you don't want to do, basically).

Three consecutive radiologists called the fracture "impressive". When I told my doctor about that he laughed and said, "well at least they didn't say it was 'interesting", that's the kiss of death."

Normally they do surgery on breaks like this but as they explained it the blow was so sharp and so transitory (I bounced) that the pieces fell back where they belong so they didn't want to cut me because shit was already where it was supposed to be. No surgery was good in a way but made the recovery way way longer, 3 months 100% non-weight-bearing when it might have been 3 weeks with surgery, and in 3 months it's crazy what happens to muscle tone, ligaments, all the rest.

But I'm rallying.

That blows. It's always the dumb stuff! Been following the bits and pieces of your recovery. Good to know you're at the tail end! We both know that pain when standing up is never going away, though.

Here's a completely incomparable, trying-to-relate anecdote. My worst injury last year was at the unloading area at the top of the lift. I was showing off to my kids and caught my tips and went down hard on the ice on my hip and ass. A normal person would see two asshole kids bent over laughing at a hack old man, but deep down, I could tell they were concerned.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm sure they care. Hell my wife was kinda laughing when she pulled up, for a second. For me it was just dumb shit, not paying enough attention. I've decided that from now on, while skiing, I'm going to look in the general direction in which I am traveling. I'm thinking it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm sure they care. Hell my wife was kinda laughing when she pulled up, for a second. For me it was just dumb shit, not paying enough attention. I've decided that from now on, while skiing, I'm going to look in the general direction in which I am traveling. I'm thinking it might help.
    Remember to look between the trees though. Not at the one you really don't want to hit.

Also good to hear you're getting better

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    hmm....I can't seem to find the original thread "The Turn" so I'll piggy-back off this one.

While we still have heavy smoke in the air and the thermometer is forecasted to hit 98 Thursday, I'm feeling some sense of The Turn. Out mountain biking yesterday, I noticed that sense of fall with a little cooler temps and daylight fading faster. This morning, outside our house was 51 which is about 10-15 degrees cooler than it's been for a while. It wasn't as light in the morning when I got up and there are some geese hanging around that I've not seen since their migration north in the spring. And I had my first skiing dream over the weekend, always a good sign. Yep, I think it's starting to turn. Bring it; I'm sick of the heat and smoke.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ad.php?t=58432

By far one of the best posts and one I love seeing bumped...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Early days I know but the last couple have really started to feel like we're heading into Fall. Shadows are getting longer, daylight is fading quicker and there is that feeling of time slipping away.

What is it about Fall that always makes me feel so melancholy? There is a sadness, a settling, a quiet repose that is a once beautiful and bittersweet and still it is my favorite time of year.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Come to the South. The days stay long and summer goes well into September. Come thanksgiving you’ve had the best fall imaginable and you’re finally ready for snow.

No dealing with grey days or seasonal depression as you wait for spring either.

Direct flights to snow on demand.

4.8 out of 5 stars.

Love the turn.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Come to the South. The days stay long and summer goes well into September. Come thanksgiving you’ve had the best fall imaginable and you’re finally ready for snow.

No dealing with grey days or seasonal depression as you wait for spring either.

Direct flights to snow on demand.

4.8 out of 5 stars.

Love the turn.
    We have that here too in EWA - nothing like the west side.

Our Fall can last into November and we can be into the 100s in May (though that sux when it happens). Endless days of below freezing temps does wear on you but I def. like having four distinct seasons.

No... summer is far from over here, just noticing a change in light and a different feel in the air.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

You can feel it in the air...........dry leaves rustling in the wind..........shadows growing longer............the turn is coming.........

definitely. broke out the hat, fleece and wool socks in the am in the van, standard winter uniform. buddy sent a pic of his van fully dusted in the vail area the other day..

A nice cluster of yellowing aspens on the local hike yesterday. It’s coming…

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    You can feel it in the air...........dry leaves rustling in the wind..........shadows growing longer............the turn is coming.........
    Not in my hood. The hottest period is coming in September, followed by locals summer (it is really nice) in October & November. Then please Ullr, lots of snow in December. CA can be off the hook during the 2nd half of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

While we still have at least 10 weeks of summer left here the boy and I bought new ski boots this weekend.

I’d say the turn is nearly here.
    I still call it The Jake.

It is time to give Ullr his due!!!!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Interesting that there was no turn in 2020 per posts.

Guys it’s too soon for the turn.

I just walked out of the bar at 8 pm in pants and long sleeves and shivered as a cool wind blew. After this smoky summer all I can think is "fucking bring it on!" I'm so excited for fall.

Definitely turning in the ham. Probably time to hang up the fatkini for the year.

First good soaking rain in the past 24hrs since before June's heat dome, and overnight temps dipping to 6C. Even a dusting above 2000m. Been so hot and dry for so long it feels like a turn, but I agree, the Turn doesn't happen until mid Sept at the earliest. So looking forward to it though!

Lots of signs out there. Over the last few days, I broke out the puffy for the first time since April, my wife wanted to turn the heat on, and my dog started sleeping in the bed again (too hot in the summer).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Interesting that there was no turn in 2020 per posts.

Guys it’s too soon for the turn.
    That's because this isn't the main "The Turn" thread, that's in Ski/Snowboard.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    That's because this isn't the main "The Turn" thread, that's in Ski/Snowboard.
    Ahhhh ok

Where? Never heard of it.

Must have taken the wrong turn.

Snow at the 9,000 foot level in Big Sky the other day.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters