Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I've found that a lot of the lights are pretty good, but the mounting hardware has been the most concern. The nightriders have had issues as well as the cygolite

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Plug what is your recommendation on helmet/bar lights, run the PR1200 on the bars and...on the head?
    Other mags may have better suggestions, but I use a BD rechargeable LED headlamp, because they were selling them for cheap at their end of year sale. I think my model isn't available anymore, but it's like the Spot. We have a few of these, so I grab the close one, I rarely use it, just to finish a dusk ride/skate ski.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    What's battery life like on the PR1200?
    I'll just post this:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 11.18.09 AM.png
Views: 1386
Size:  53.5 KB

It all depends on how long you stay in each setting. Turbo is more like an instant-on high beam flash with the wired remote, so you wouldn't be riding and holding that down.

Bump- hey Plugboots, where’s the best place to order one of your lights these days?

FWIW - Shenkey 1000 lumen lights are $25/each and come with both bar and helmet mounts. I bought two and they have worked very well for my sub 2 hour night rides.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/product/hangover/
    Guy I know designed this. Pretty dope setup.

Personally, I can't ride with a helmet light on a half shell. Moves around too much. Fortunately, I've got a Fox Proframe.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Personally, I can't ride with a helmet light on a half shell. Moves around too much. Fortunately, I've got a Fox Proframe.
    Yeah, as annoying as a cord can be I prefer to have the battery in my pack instead of on top of my head. My neck prefers it that way.

100g, fast charge, and a useful beam pattern... that's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

That looks dope.

I couldn’t quickly see it in a quick scan of the page, but I assume at half power that thing could run for closer to 4 or 5 hours.

As dope as it looks, I’d still recommend pairing it with a good ~1000lm wide distribution flood light (the softer the lens contrast the better) mounted on the bars and then running the Hangover in half power mode.

You’ll end up with a setup where the bar light gives you shadow contrast and the helmet light fills in the details so that you have better 3D depth perception of rocks, roots, low clearance branches, jump landings, etc. The wide flood / soft shadows (lack of hard edged shadow lines) on the bar helps prevent create visual noise from your fork jittering or when you pop quick high speed steering corrections, pre-turn countersteer, etc. And then the helmet with a long throw spot fills in the details where you are looking.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Bump- hey Plugboots, where’s the best place to order one of your lights these days?
    I’ve spent more time with these and they’re nice.

https://www.velosportimports.com/ravemen-lights

Since I'm all hippack endurobro now, I need a helmet light with the captive battery.

Anyone use the Lights n Motion with GoPro helmet mount? I would assume that's a pretty solid set up.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Since I'm all hippack endurobro now, I need a helmet light with the captive battery.

Anyone use the Lights n Motion with GoPro helmet mount? I would assume that's a pretty solid set up.
    Yeah, I've got a Taz 1200 and Taz 2000. I think they changed the names this year. One goes on a GoPro mount and the other on my bars (I forget which). The lights are good, but you do get a bit of a bobble-head from the weight. I prefer to run it on my full face (TLD Stage) as that coupled with goggles holds the helmet in place better. Barring that, goggles on a half lid help too, if you can manage the fogging.

For helmet mounted lights this outbound looks ideal. Lightweight and good beam pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    For helmet mounted lights this outbound looks ideal. Lightweight and good beam pattern.

I have the downhill package from Outbound and I've been really happy with it. May have to get this as well since the wire on the helmet can get a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post

That looks nice, but it's interesting that they don't spec lumens? It looks bright. The other odd thing is the weight is spec'd at super light (The result is an incredible 100 grams total weight. Absolutely unheard of for a high power light.) And then under - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Weight .9 lbs It looks heavier than 100 grams, but if it actually is, that is pretty sick.

I just ordered the VIS pro 1000 @ 121grams. We'll see how that goes.

I have a light and motion taz 1200 coming to probably use as a light on the bars, figure the weight will be pretty noticeable on the helmet. Thought about a trail 1000 because they're smaller and lighter but wanted something that would have better battery life and a wider beam pattern than my urban 500, which is fine, but not bright enough for things like gravel road descents and trail riding at night.

\also I've had some sort of a magicshine knockoff as a helmet light for years but the battery pack is toast. Any suggestions for a replacement? Looks like there are a couple for like $25-30 on amazon so I guess I'll go that way?

That looks nice, but it's interesting that they don't spec lumens? It looks bright. The other odd thing is the weight is spec'd at super light (The result is an incredible 100 grams total weight. Absolutely unheard of for a high power light.) And then under - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Weight .9 lbs It looks heavier than 100 grams, but if it actually is, that is pretty sick.

I just ordered the VIS pro 1000 @ 121grams. We'll see how that goes.
    Looks like on the Downhill package they list detailed specs for both lights. The bar mount one is 1500-1800 lumens, the head one is 900-1000.

Got that L&M 1200 and tried it on the road on the way home last night. I considered spending a little more on a 1500 but this seems plenty bright and it has a much wider beam than the urban 500. It claims to only be 25 degrees wide vs 20 but there's a 3rd led with a diffuser thing that gives good light out to the sides and up close which should be useful for seeing the trail in front of you through corners. The race mode is also cool, just hold the button down for 2 seconds when you turn it on, then it swaps between low and high instead of cycling between high, med, low, flashing.

Also picked up a replacement battery for the helmet light on ebay for $22. Seems to work, went with the 2cell instead of 4 just to trim down some bulk so i'm curious on what my battery life will be like with it. For the price I can always just get a 2nd one or the 4-cell version if I need to.

I got the gopro mount adapters for both the taz and my urban 500 so I could stick either on a helmet if I wanted, but the taz seems like it might be a little heavy for that. Now just need to pick up a fresh helmet as my bell super is pretty old and crusty and the mount isn't that great. Probably giro's motaro. It's pretty nice and the mount is solid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200911_142208809_HDR.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	332.9 KB 
ID:	339711

Went and got that helmet. Mount is definitely better than the one on my bell but the mips deal slides around very easily. Wondering if I'm going to notice that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200911_191429971_HDR.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	339817
    Last edited by jamal; 09-11-2020 at 08:44 PM.

I picked up the Outbound Lighting Hangover, as a replacement for my Taz 1200, and did first ride last night. It's legit. So light weight compared to the 1200, and shorter height, so no more bobble head. I can wear my normal half shell (Fox Speedframe) with glasses rather than having to wear full face and/or goggles. The wider band of light was nicer too, and really felt like I had less tunnel vision than before, even if the brightness was less.

I'm keeping my Taz 2000 for the handlebars though. It's brighter and lighter than their bar light, and doesn't have a separate battery pack.

I'm ready for someone to make a legit integrated helmet/light combo. Distribute the weight evenly.

So far this year I've just been riding with a bar mount light. Doesn't feel very safe taking corners My neck is phucked

The OL Hangover is so low/lightweight that I legitimately don't notice it's up there. It only weighs like 100g, and only sticks up like an inch off the top of your helmet. Compared to my old Taz 1200, which weighed twice that and stuck up twice as high - I clipped that on branches sometimes, and could only run it on certain helmets that fit very tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The OL Hangover is so low/lightweight that I legitimately don't notice it's up there. It only weighs like 100g, and only sticks up like an inch off the top of your helmet. Compared to my old Taz 1200, which weighed twice that and stuck up twice as high - I clipped that on branches sometimes, and could only run it on certain helmets that fit very tightly.
    Hmm, that lower and wider profile probably feels better on the noggin.

Looks like it will fit a gopro mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I'm keeping my Taz 2000 for the handlebars though. It's brighter and lighter than their bar light, and doesn't have a separate battery pack.
    Thoughts on the OL Trail Evo? Looks pretty rad and not much more than the Taz 2000. I've been meaning to get into the light game for years now and things seem to be getting really dialed. I figure I could use it on my commuter as well which helps justify the cost of the full Evo package.

Hmm, that lower and wider profile probably feels better on the noggin.

Looks like it will fit a gopro mount?
    I'm running my hangover on a gopro mount, works great.

I just ordered the whole Outbound Lighting Evo package. Gonna use it on my MTB and my e-bike commuter and will report back.