Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

It's that time of year...Lights

The LED light world and lithium ion batteries are changing daily. We're getting more lumens per watt and longer run times.

I'm looking to buy a new set up mostly because the bracket kind of sucks on my Cygolite Expilion. It will not stay clamped tight, especially if I drop off something, which is always the best time for your light to be pointing at your front wheel instead of the next obstacle at speed.

I was looking at the Niterider line and their Pro handlebar line with the thumb switch seems pretty awesome. It's damn pricey, but a broken collar bone is pricier. Anybody have any feedback on how those work?

https://www.niterider.com/product/pr...enduro-remote/

Or what else are you using?

I have one of these mounted on the helmet and one on bars for mtb riding. Same bulbs and batteries as the magic shine, just one less bulb.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Eyes-G...ble+bike+light

I've seen them for under $30

I like the light n motion 850 trail. Light, simple, and inexpensive. I have mornings free so haven't night ridden in 10 years at least, but these new lights are so awesome, that I might go back to vampire mode at some point.

I've had Nightriders, L&M and 1/2 dozen other brand name lights. The technology changes fast.
    I'd just get the Chinese light dejour for under $40.
    Just becareful where and how you charge the batteries and don't burn down your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    ... The technology changes fast.
    I'd just get the Chinese light dejour for under $40.
    Just be careful where and how you charge the batteries and don't burn down your house.
    Mostly agreed. The tech does change fast and low-cost chargers are risky (like the great hoverboard scare of 2015).

I would also recommend a two-light setup:
    -floodlight on the bar
    -spotlight on the helmet

Try to match the relative power of each or have the flood be slightly more powerful than the spot. The idea is for the spot to add details in the shadows while the flood provides general illumination.

I've been using the Magicshine MJ-858 for a helmet light and MJ-856 on the bars for about a year, and it's been a very good (visually) and reliable setup, especially since I decided to go with separate batteries for each light to get a longer running time. No real issues with the standard rubber band mounts yet.
    http://www.action-led-lights.com/col...agicshine-sets

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    I like the light n motion 850 trail. Light, simple, and inexpensive. I have mornings free so haven't night ridden in 10 years at least, but these new lights are so awesome, that I might go back to vampire mode at some point.
    Glad you liked it. I've been trusting L&M for a long time now. They call these urban http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/urban but for $100 the 800 is a really great light for mt biking. I use the 800 on the helmet and one 650 on the bar, sometimes I'll run two on the bar so I can aim them differently and unless I'm descending fast I run them on the lowest setting. On the head I aim it not too far ahead so I can swivel my head to see around corners then one on the bar is a few feet in front of the wheel and the other quite a bit further out. This gives me great depth perception even if I only have two out of the three turned on. This may be a bit more expensive the Magic Shine stuff or the chinese light du jour but I never worry about charging safety, they don't run too hot and I've never had one fail or burn out unexpectedly leaving me walking in the dark.

My dad has the L&M 800 lumen light and I have the 1200 Chinese led. They put it almost the exact same amount of light when fully charged. Mine is a flood. His cuts the beam off up high where it might shine in a driver's eyes. For mtb, however, I think they are equal.

The L&M is all self contained. The Chinese unit has a battery pack and extension cord.

L&M was $80 on sale a few years ago from pricepoint (RIP). The Chinese light was $30 and came with multiple different mounts for helmets, head and bars.

Seth

Just posting to reminisce about the old days, like 5 years ago, when you had to spend like $300 to get a good bike light for night rides...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

It's that time of year...Lights

If my life depended on a light, I would get a name brand.
    But the batteries will still crap out eventually.

Your life does sort of depend on it. Burning your house down because of a battery fire is bad. Cheap, no name and untested is questionable and I'm not willing to go there. That doesn't mean that the bigger names will be totally reliable but the chances of bad things happening are lower.

I was impressed by the $30 Chinese lights, but kept having battery issues. Moved to the Fenix BC30 last year (1200 lumen). Self contained, uses those 18650 batteries. I carry an extra pair for long rides. Using a small 900 lumen flashlight on my helmet that runs on a single 18650.

If you suck it up and spend the money on 1 good light and mount it to your helmet its all you need.

I got this : https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-True-2...s=serfas+light

With it on full power I can ride downhill trails at basically the same speed as during the day. Well worth the investment imo for riding alone but can also be used for building trail at night, it lights up a whole work area on mid-power. Sounds ridiculous to spend that much on a light until the first time I used it... wondered why I had waited so long!

lots of urban myths / online myths about the china lights burning down house, but any idea what percent actually are sparking etc?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    lots of urban myths / online myths about the china lights burning down house, but any idea what percent actually are sparking etc?
    I don't think it's a myth, it actually happens. At what rate I don't know. I think if I get one I'll just charge it in a metal box or something, problem solved.

Anxiously awaiting zzz's take on this inexpensive solution.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Anxiously awaiting zzz's take on this inexpensive solution.
    Probably works, most likely wouldn't stop sustained flame but that isn't what you're going to get. For about the same price this would probably make me feel better:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tin-Box-Compa...etal+lunch+box

Just MAKE SURE you get the Frozen one. Critical.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Just MAKE SURE you get the Frozen one. Critical.
    No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I am running 50%, personally. Though it didn't burn down the house, it just spontaneously ignited in my pack. It was more of a slow smolder than anything. The second one is still going strong, though it sits in an open spot on the garage floor where it can't ignite anything.

I still have 4 magicshine batteries that are still in use as well (and are compatible with the chinese knockoff lamps). 2 are the original flammables, 2 are the Geo-man magicshine warranty replacements. I recently got a new magicshine lamp and battery, and have been using it with good results. I think it is this one: http://www.magicshineusa.com/product...men-bike-light

This -

*Theoretical lumens. Actual lumens may vary
    This LED world is full of lies. There are standards for measuring lumens, but most of this chinese shite does not measure based on any standards. So basically it's pure bullshit and you don't know what you're actually buying for the money. Then the batteries which have already been discussed.

Personally, I'd rather support a company that is legit and will warranty their products.

I picked up a Xeccon Spiker 1211 last fall to pair with my Light and Motion Taz. Xeccon lighthead goes on my helmet, battery pack in my pack. The lighthead which I think is a great feature. It's kind of a floody spot, but they do sell others that are more contained and have a longer throw. It does work nicely with the Taz which has a very wide and even beam for the bars. Xeccon uses good quality Samsung and Panasonic batteries in good quality cases. Their site is here http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.p...te=common/home There's also info over in a thread on mtbr. Are they the best lights ever? who knows. Is it a pretty good light with good batteries? Yeah. The guy from the site that posts on mtbr is very helpful in answering questions if you need help choosing which model to go with.

Agree Strawjack. Penny wise/pound foolish and all that. Great quality lights don't cost that much anymore.