Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Bumping this with a battery question. I’ve got Nite Rider Lumina 1100 that needs a battery replacement. I also have a Lumina 400 as a spare. Will the 1100 work if swap in the 400 battery?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pulled the trigger on an OL Hangover for fall riding. Dark is coming early already at 7pm and since I work til 6 many days, it’ll be nice to have the option to still get out for an after work ride. Pairing the Hangover on my helmet with a bar-mounted Lumina 1100, should be enough for familiar trails

I’ve got a Thrunite TH30 (right angle style flashlight) I’d like to mount on my helmet and keep it removable. I’m looking at the Petzl Uni Adapt clips, do they work for mtb or does the light bounce? Are there any other options?

I’ve been using Shenkey lights for a few years now and couldn’t find one this Fall. I just ordered another for $27 so I can have one for my helmet and one for my handlebar.

Honestly, they can’t be beat for the price.

If anyone is looking for a set of lights I'm selling my set of Outbound lights since I upgraded to the latest version. This is their old Downhill Package and consists of the Road edition, which I run on my helmet, and the Trail edition which I run on my bars. The Trail Edition has a wider beam pattern while the Road Edition is a more focused beam; both of them are extremely bright!

Included:
    - Road Edition light
    - Trail Edition light
    - 2 battery packs with integrated strap to mount to frame
    - Extension cord to run road light to helmet
    - 2 chargers
    - GoPro adapter to mount Road Edition to helmet

$200 shipped for the set.

Cygolite

The Gloworm X2 has been working well for me commuting, and was pretty awesome on the trail last night too. Unfortunately my headlamp is on the fritz, so corners in 2" moon dust were quite exciting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220921_195510936.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	960.5 KB 
ID:	427148

Also the trails were upside down, that was pretty weird.
    Last edited by Toddball; 09-22-2022 at 10:42 AM. Reason: another great photo uploading experience from TGR
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Williams View Post
    Cygolite
    +1 for Cygolite. Great support.

I'm hoping they come up with some kind of synchronization feature for their HotRod and similar lights.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

I've got a Lezyne Power Drive 1100XL and the battery finally just quit working. Figured out how to get it apart and isolate the battery, but having zero luck sourcing a replacement. It's the 18650 with a wire and a little clip to attach to the light. Anyone with expert light guts experience?
    However many are in a shit ton.

No experience with Lezyne personally but you could try calling the company and ask if you can buy a new battery. I had an old Portland Design works light whose battery had deteriorated. Called them up with the angle I'd rather keep using the light if the battery is replaceable. They said no problem they'd ship it to me for free. They ended up warrantying the light itself not long after when the usb plug broke. Not sure what their warranty period is but I'd had that light for at least 5 yrs and they replaced it no questions asked. Still using the replacement to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I've got a Lezyne Power Drive 1100XL and the battery finally just quit working. Figured out how to get it apart and isolate the battery, but having zero luck sourcing a replacement. It's the 18650 with a wire and a little clip to attach to the light. Anyone with expert light guts experience?
    18650s are pretty available and whatever is attached should be reasonably easy to re-attach to the new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    No experience with Lezyne personally but you could try calling the company and ask if you can buy a new battery. I had an old Portland Design works light whose battery had deteriorated. Called them up with the angle I'd rather keep using the light if the battery is replaceable. They said no problem they'd ship it to me for free. They ended up warrantying the light itself not long after when the usb plug broke. Not sure what their warranty period is but I'd had that light for at least 5 yrs and they replaced it no questions asked. Still using the replacement to this day.
    Good call. I emailed them and they said if I send it back they’ll refurbish for $30 with a new battery. Not horrible for a $100 light that’s about 5 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’m new to the sport and like to ride off hours (early morning, evenings) and as the days shorten I realize I’ll need a light.

I read through the thread but still unsure.

I have an Amazon credit and wondering if there are any decent handle bar mounted mountain bike lights anyone could recommend available on Amazon?

A lot of what I see seem like they’d jiggle loose but I don’t know shit.

Thanks I’m advance.

I dig my Ceco 1000 lumen bar mount light I bought based on this thread. If you want more beef, get something with an external battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I dig my Ceco 1000 lumen bar mount light I bought based on this thread. If you want more beef, get something with an external battery.
    Thanks. I saw that one and was wondering about it. Are you using the flexible mount or hard mount?

https://www.amazon.com/CECO-USA-Rech...XRm&psc=1&th=1

Honestly I'd get two of those lights. One hard mount for the handlebar (the flex mount one will rotate down as you hit bumps on the trail). The other for your helmet. You can probably get an adaptor that will attach it to a go-pro mount. That will give you more light for tougher trails, and a backup in case one fails or you inevitably forget to charge them. If just getting one I'd go with helmet mount, but that is personal preference.

Good idea. Thanks!

It's that time of year...Lights

Good call. I emailed them and they said if I send it back they’ll refurbish for $30 with a new battery. Not horrible for a $100 light that’s about 5 years old.
    Update: got light back from Lezyne, bright as new. They never charged me the $30. Light simply showed up without a word from them. Way out of warranty. Stoked.
    Last edited by jm2e; 08-13-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I’m new to the sport and like to ride off hours (early morning, evenings) and as the days shorten I realize I’ll need a light.

I read through the thread but still unsure.

I have an Amazon credit and wondering if there are any decent handle bar mounted mountain bike lights anyone could recommend available on Amazon?

A lot of what I see seem like they’d jiggle loose but I don’t know shit.

Thanks I’m advance.
    How many hours do you need it to last for? I have been running very inexpensive Shenkey N6 lights for many years and I think they are great for up to 2 hours. I’ve never gotten stuck so maybe they would last even longer. Best $25/each I’ve spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    How many hours do you need it to last for? I have been running very inexpensive Shenkey N6 lights for many years and I think they are great for up to 2 hours. I’ve never gotten stuck so maybe they would last even longer. Best $25/each I’ve spent.
    Probably about that. For those after dinner rides in the fall maybe winter.

I’ll check that one out.

Thanks.

Update: got light back from Lezyne, bright as new. They never charged me the $30. Light simply showed up without a word from them. Way out of warranty. Stoked.
    Update to the update: Used the bike for a 45 min ride through town to pick up a car getting serviced. Only using the light for daylight visibility so I don't get run over, so I don't know when it happened; but the light was dead by the time I arrived. Got home and tried to charge it and it was exactly like when I sent it off. Just a glorified brick. Mixed feelings; they never charged me, but their invoice said the light was repaired, and I did spend $12 bucks mailing it across the country, and it was a small hassle played out over several weeks. Not Stoked.

Bought one of these for $35 and seems solid.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM8KXYFF...roduct_details
    Has a nice solid bar mount and also has a gopro mount. Best part is, that it uses a standard 18650 battery so I can actually keep it working when this battery shits the bed.

Bumping this to sing praises for my new Outbound Light Trail EVO package. Easy to use, no external batteries/wires, bar + helmet mount both work great and most importantly the beam patterns made for best night riding visibility I've ever had. Also they're running a black friday sale, so far very impressed, especially w/ the bar light.

I'll add onto the Outbound train. It's the best light for the general cyclist.

There are better for hardcore endurance racers.
    There are better for those that want to save a buck.

There's nothing better for the combination of quality, price, ease of use, run-time, beam pattern, mount security, etc. that matter to most riders.
    The Trail evo is perfect for my riding.

If I'm being nitpicky - I do like the more focused beam pattern of my Exposure Diablo on my helmet more than the Hang-over. But, Frankly, I hate using the Exposure and it was twice as expensive. The button system is too complicated, the bullet plug charger is dumb, the light gets hot as hell, etc. The only time I use the Diablo is when I'm forced to because kids are using the Outbound Hangovers for bike practice.

How about the Outbound helmet lights? Seems like it would work well for dawn patrol skinning/skiing as well with the GoPro mount?

I have ancient magic shine lights with remote batteries- don’t really night ride anymore but thinking about getting back into it. I can justify replacing my corded helmet light with a self contained outbound unit, then wait to replace my corded bar light if I’m actually able to ride more after dark.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Should work pretty well I think. The Hangover is low profile and light weight, so wouldn't be too annoying backcountry. I imagine its slightly lower light output should matter less in snow (which would reflect and illuminate more) than dirt and bushes. They're coming out with a slightly more powerful helmet one (Portal) in December-ish. You might want to shoot them an email though asking how much battery life you can expect in typical temps for your use though.