Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I picked up a Xeccon Spiker 1211 last fall to pair with my Light and Motion Taz. Xeccon lighthead goes on my helmet, battery pack in my pack. The lighthead which I think is a great feature. It's kind of a floody spot, but they do sell others that are more contained and have a longer throw. It does work nicely with the Taz which has a very wide and even beam for the bars. Xeccon uses good quality Samsung and Panasonic batteries in good quality cases. Their site is here http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.p...te=common/home There's also info over in a thread on mtbr. Are they the best lights ever? who knows. Is it a pretty good light with good batteries? Yeah. The guy from the site that posts on mtbr is very helpful in answering questions if you need help choosing which model to go with.
    That looks pretty cool. Nice to have someone active on mtbr so you know they're invested sort of speak.

So the light and battery are separate, but mount on the helmet? Sounds like an ideal set up imo. The light/bat combo on my head gets a little heavy. Granted, I don't notice it when I'm moving really, but it would be nice to be more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    That looks pretty cool. Nice to have someone active on mtbr so you know they're invested sort of speak.

So the light and battery are separate, but mount on the helmet? Sounds like an ideal set up imo. The light/bat combo on my head gets a little heavy. Granted, I don't notice it when I'm moving really, but it would be nice to be more balanced.
    They do sell a 2-cell battery pack that I guess could be mounted on the back of the helmet to sort of balance the weight of the lighthead on the front/top of the helmet, but the 4-cell would be very awkward on the helmet. If you were using the light on your bars, you could certainly frame mount the battery pack. The batteries themselves are in a rubberized/weather-resistant case that is held in a neoprene pouch with a velcro strap. A bit overkill if putting in your pack, but great for frame/helmet/jersey placement. From my msgs with their rep, the S12 is a great choice for a cheap spot-pattern beam but there are obviously many options depending on your needs.

Yeah, I'm specifically looking for a helmet light at this point. I went all in (well for me anyway) with a bar light and now I want to complement it with a new lightweight helmet light. I'm not opposed to throwing a battery in the pack, it's just seems easier with less wires to get snagged.

My kid is psyched because he's getting my old lights...which are pretty good. I just want daylight to see the tech.

Yeah, I'm specifically looking for a helmet light at this point. I went all in (well for me anyway) with a bar light and now I want to complement it with a new lightweight helmet light. I'm not opposed to throwing a battery in the pack, it's just seems easier with less wires to get snagged.

My kid is psyched because he's getting my old lights...which are pretty good. I just want daylight to see the tech.
    You don't want your neck muscles trying to carry the weight of batteries on the helmet. Much better to run power cable to battery in pack. I've yet to snag the cable even when performing the superman-thru-the-rabbitbrush maneuver. - many times.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    You don't want your neck muscles trying to carry the weight of batteries on the helmet. Much better to run power cable to battery in pack. I've yet to snag the cable even when performing the superman-thru-the-rabbitbrush maneuver. - many times.
    Right on! I was concerned as I color outside the lines often.

Running cables to a battery pack is so 1999. No need for that with the tech that's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    I wouldn't run that on a helmet.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

All ya need. One and done. If you need more light you prolly shouldn't be riding at night. Run it on your helmet. http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose...rban-850-trail

No. Helmet and handlebar are both important. One for range and seeing around corners and one for short distance and increased depth perception.

To each their own. Rode/raced (24hr) for years with just helmet 10-20watt (no where near the power of the 850). No problem whatsoever. And we're talking fast pace.

I'm not saying it can't be done but the difference in how you see is dramatic. I may not ride as fast as some ( ) but I know that the difference in my confidence level is significantly higher running two lights rather than one.

I hear ya mang. Don't mind my "less is moar" mantra

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    No. Helmet and handlebar are both important. One for range and seeing around corners and one for short distance and increased depth perception.
    I agree. Long throw spot on the head for distance/corners, and soft flood on the bar to help provide depth perception with shadow details etc.

If you're going to go with a single, I would recommend a well-diffused lower power flood, ideally something with a large aperture to help soften shadow contrast. Brighter spots will actually make it harder to see (due to excessive contrast) than dimmer floods.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I prefer the long spot on the bars so I can turn my head and look at things close up (possibly including my bike) without losing night vision. And less weight on the hat never hurts. But in any case I'd much rather have more lights that are small/light/cheap for added redundancy and aiming from (and to) multiple locations instead of a bigger single light.

with the xeccon light I have, the lighthead on the helmet is only ~60 grams or so and they have a nice quick mount adapter you can leave on your helmet when not out at night and it's very low profile and doesn't get in the way. Much lighter and less obtrusive than the $20 magicshine knockoffs and all the 5 million lumen 8xCREE led (!!) lights that you see everywhere. Some of my riding buddies have those and I've had one (two actually) in the past and anecdotally, the xeccon is more reliable. L&M Taz is also reliable and nice... but twice the price on sale, 4x the price full retail.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Exactly. Fleabag doesn't ride at night anyway but if he did it's on a rail trail. Don't even need a light for that!

I'm in the spendy-but-nice camp. I love my Exposure Diablos. Small and self-contained (no wires/battery packs), my first one has lasted 5+ years with no issues, last year I picked up a new one that puts out 1200 lumens. I get a lot of mileage out of them and paid around 150-200 (each) for them, so compared to the cheap chinese no-namers that frequently seem to crap out after a year I feel like they have compared pretty favorably. but if you are only going to use the lights a few times a year, I'd prob just grab a couple cheapies off amazon.

Exactly. Fleabag doesn't ride at night anyway but if he did it's on a rail trail. Don't even need a light for that!
    Keep typing smack old man. Next time we ride your lungs are gonna bleed

Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    Keep typing smack old man. Next time we ride your lungs are gonna bleed
    Dear Fleabag,

Bring your knee and shoulder pads. I'll bring plenty of gauze and have 9-1- pre-dialed for you. What blood type are you? I'm O+, so I'll be sure to donate before we ride if that's your type.

Type A but you knew that already

Want to buy a good headlamp for hiking and ski-touring, wondering if there's something that would cover biking as well or am I better off with two units? I assume that which works for biking is going to be a fair bit bigger & heavier than what I can get away with for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    Want to buy a good headlamp for hiking and ski-touring, wondering if there's something that would cover biking as well or am I better off with two units? I assume that which works for biking is going to be a fair bit bigger & heavier than what I can get away with for the rest.
    I had come to this important thread to post that I have been using this guy with much success. Twice this season I was on caught the trail after dark and even as my only light it was still very effective.
    https://www.rei.com/product/892056/p...ka-xp-headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I wouldn't run that on a helmet.
    Why?

I'm in the camp that wants something self contained and lightweight on my helmet. I can mount a clunky globe on my handlebar and strap a brick of a battery pack to my top tube no prob. It won't interfere with my ride enjoyment much. But once I've got wires on my head and i need to wear a pack and i have to take my helmet and pack off in just the right order, it gets tedious. Make it small, light, self contained, reasonably bright and durable. Get it to last two hours, no more. I'll pay extra for that.

Light on helmet = Jumps. Advocating for bar only system? Me thinks you keep it on the ground at night.
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^ Agree.